New purchase

Walker570

I was in need of a discrete air rifle and so a bull pup was an obvious choice. As mentioned before I have a job to do on a golf course and it is surrounded on all sides by houses so therefore need to be very careful not to draw attention to my activities.  All the greens crew wear yellow vests so I will also do that as I approach my set ups and I therefore purchased a second hand 'Boxer' this morning.  Bit of a learning curve but put a Hawke scope on it and after about five shots it was plinking inside a tree rats head size out at 20yrds no problem. The initial flip top I have set will be about 15yrds from the hidden shooting position.  Strange trigger on it but light enough when you get used to the free movement on intially shooting a few shots. Will run a few practise shots before I go and have a look toward the weekend. I think this will be a handy addition to my armoury as I have two or three sets where the range is under 20yrds.   The scope height is so high that zeroed at 15yrds th rifle shoots some five inches high at 30yrds but I have the AA S200 to do that job which it excels at.

Can't fault it so far and it was almost half the retail price and not mark on it..

Edited by Walker570

Carl at Solware gave me some 177 Hades to try saying that they had been getting a good reputation in the field.  Have only shot at cardboard so far but will probably....hopefully have some results on squirrels this weekend. So far at that range accurate enough and should improve as I get used to the fit and trigger action.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You could have bought a P15 for under £400, untouchable at such a price, Titanium cylinder, 100 shot, light as a feather.

This one was well under £400 and fitted the requirement. At the moment I am happy with it's performance, let's se if the squirrels agree:good:

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Gamo boxer? 

Yup.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I was in need of a discrete air rifle and so a bull pup was an obvious choice. As mentioned before I have a job to do on a golf course and it is surrounded on all sides by houses so therefore need to be very careful not to draw attention to my activities.  All the greens crew wear yellow vests so I will also do that as I approach my set ups and I therefore purchased a second hand 'Boxer' this morning.  Bit of a learning curve but put a Hawke scope on it and after about five shots it was plinking inside a tree rats head size out at 20yrds no problem. The initial flip top I have set will be about 15yrds from the hidden shooting position.  Strange trigger on it but light enough when you get used to the free movement on intially shooting a few shots. Will run a few practise shots before I go and have a look toward the weekend. I think this will be a handy addition to my armoury as I have two or three sets where the range is under 20yrds.   The scope height is so high that zeroed at 15yrds th rifle shoots some five inches high at 30yrds but I have the AA S200 to do that job which it excels at.

Can't fault it so far and it was almost half the retail price and not mark on it..

Nice one Walker , Did it come with a lifetime guarantee :hmm:

I regularly deal with Solware and have done for many years now and they have never failed to be helpful and everything I have purchased from them to date has been 100%

In addition always very helpful.  Purchased my AA S 200 second handfrom them and it is a tack driver as over 200 tree rats would tell if able. My Browning 22RF was also from there and is again a superb little rifle with probably equal number of tree rats under it's belt.  If you get good service from your local dealership then use them.

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice one Walker , Did it come with a lifetime guarantee 

One tin to try and to date at distances I need they seem OK but I do take your point and will probably try one or two others.  Still use the good old AA S200 for long shot set ups.  I'm fortunate that in all the dozen or more set ups I have I know the ranges of pat and usually have the machinery to match sometimes reverting to the 17HMR.

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Above all if your happy with your new gun , go and enjoy and if Solware give you great service carry on using them as good service seems to be hard to find these days 

Absolutely. 

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

One tin to try and to date at distances I need they seem OK but I do take your point and will probably try one or two others.  Still use the good old AA S200 for long shot set ups.  I'm fortunate that in all the dozen or more set ups I have I know the ranges of pat and usually have the machinery to match sometimes reverting to the 17HMR.

If you haven't still got a stash of 177 and want some samples let me know and I'll post you some 👍

Thanks for that.  The Hades appear to be grouping well at the 15-20yrds I require the 'tool' for.  I had to take a body shot at one this afternoon at about 10yrds and it ran and then walked off but managed to climb a pine tree after two attemps.  I think these Hades may be a bit much for close quarter combat so will pick up some lightweight stuff tomorrow and compare.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks for that.  The Hades appear to be grouping well at the 15-20yrds I require the 'tool' for.  I had to take a body shot at one this afternoon at about 10yrds and it ran and then walked off but managed to climb a pine tree after two attemps.  I think these Hades may be a bit much for close quarter combat so will pick up some lightweight stuff tomorrow and compare.

when i 1st red it i thought it said you managed to climb a pine tree after 2 attempts............i know you have a "thing" going about these squirrels but at your age this would be taking it a bit too far..:lol:

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If I knew I was only shooting 15-20 yards I'd be trying H&N extremes or maybe RWS super mags, a heavy flat head.

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

So does this one have a moderator?  When I bought my air rifle I opted out of the one because the extra length.  I did think it would be as loud as it was.  

No mod but it has a shrouded barrel which sems to keep noise down and the action is not over noisy. Shot a few more pracyise rounds this motning because the shooting position is different from my AA S200, maybe not as comfortable btu HEH! it is a tool for the job in hand and if it does that no problem. I'll mainly be shooting off a camera tripod converted to hold a rifle in position ready to shoot which minimises movement.  Normally I would put in a semi/permanent hide but in this situation I have to sit in the bushes and blend with the background, so camo, face mask and gloves.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No mod but it has a shrouded barrel which sems to keep noise down and the action is not over noisy. Shot a few more pracyise rounds this motning because the shooting position is different from my AA S200, maybe not as comfortable btu HEH! it is a tool for the job in hand and if it does that no problem. I'll mainly be shooting off a camera tripod converted to hold a rifle in position ready to shoot which minimises movement.  Normally I would put in a semi/permanent hide but in this situation I have to sit in the bushes and blend with the background, so camo, face mask and gloves.

Good luck Friday, you will just be lurking about in bushes then like most of us. Don't forget your seat cushion?

Edited by old man

Fired a few more practise shots with this new rifle and the only down thing I can come up with is that I have to kink my head to the side in order to get a clear sight picture. Now this is not a problem in a calculated situation but in a quick fire situation it would be nice to be able to pick the rifle up and the sight picture was there.

QUESTION .... if I modified the scope mount to accept another rail about an inch to the left do you think this would work or would it cock up the lining up of barrel and scope. 

I would have thought that for known set distances within a yard or two simply zeroing the same would still put the pellet on the button or tree rats eye.

Sight mark do a sideways fitting for their IR torches.

Bear in mind, in almost all cases I would be firing from a tripod mount

Can't imagine you getting enough left/right adjustment on the scope, but if it did work your going to be out left/right the same as up/down at anything other than the zeroed distance.

Have you got a NV set up with a screen that works in daylight? Then you could watch the screen instead?