New purchase

Walker570

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Mount the scope higher .this should eliminate  the head roll over .

An off set to the side scope will be a nightmare to adjust for for anything other than exactly your zero range  

Just dropped the scope height because of the trouble and that in fact improved the situation . It is not critical but not what I call comfortable.   It also improved the fall of shot out at 30yrds when spot on at 15.  A high scope position exacibates this problem no end.

Hmmmm why would it differ from having a scope above the line of the barrel ?  With a dot reticule scope it just means using the dots to the right or left rather than up or down as normal. Like at the moment I know the first lower dot is dead on at 15-20yrds ...mounted to the side would mean using the dot to the right or left according to which side the scope was mounted.  Just means learning and retaining which to use.

As said, shooting these bullpups is a steep learning curve. 06.00 tomorrow should see if it was a good purchase or not.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Can't imagine you getting enough left/right adjustment on the scope, but if it did work your going to be out left/right the same as up/down at anything other than the zeroed distance.

Have you got a NV set up with a screen that works in daylight? Then you could watch the screen instead?

I have an Sightmark NV unit but that has the same problem as you need to be lined up properly to see the screen clearly. 

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how you getting on with the new air rifle ? Did you manage to sort out scope problem, 

Getting there slowly.  Have gone back to the original scope I fitted , a Hawke Airmax with side wheel and that is set on medium height rings.

This little (but heavy) gun is shooting ok but I think can do better with conventional pellets which I will get next week.  14 squirrels did not like it at all but still getting the occasional flyer. I have shot long enough not to know if it was me. One of the training schemes was back at 300yrds at a target with one inch squares all priced for charity.

lowest scope setting so you could not see fall of shot and you had to call it or pay up. That was 2 second exposure so you learned very quickly to know where your cross hairs where when the sear broke.    Great fun.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Getting there slowly.  Have gone back to the original scope I fitted , a Hawke Airmax with side wheel and that is set on medium height rings.

This little (but heavy) gun is shooting ok but I think can do better with conventional pellets which I will get next week.  14 squirrels did not like it at all but still getting the occasional flyer. I have shot long enough not to know if it was me. One of the training schemes was back at 300yrds at a target with one inch squares all priced for charity.

lowest scope setting so you could not see fall of shot and you had to call it or pay up. That was 2 second exposure so you learned very quickly to know where your cross hairs where when the sear broke.    Great fun.

As long as your having fun and enjoying it that’s all that matters 

When I looked at the boxer just before Christmas, I had a itch to buy a 'short' gun, mainly for car work, but wasn't really needing one as I like 1 tool to do all jobs and that position had been filled with the fx. Got to say the weight surprised me, but I suppose every thing is back on you and not spaced out. Also Ive a neck like a giraffe so I thought I'd need high mounts to get a good comfortable mount as holding it in the shop made me pretty much float my head above the cheek piece to even stand a chance of lining up. Combined I put it back, it felt solid enough but I shouldered a bsa ultra and for only 50quid more, it fitted lovely (tho I've yet to fit a adjustable butt pad) and bought that instead. 

I might try one of these smks tho, there's not a lot of bad stuff said about them on any of the forums. 

Hello, interesting how we all view different air rifles, I cannot seem to take to these short type bull pups if that's the right word, yet my FX is not much different, and the HW synthetic stock is to chunky for my small hands, the cheap Chinese PCP feels spot on in the shoulder and hands yet only 30 shots a fill, 

12 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

When I looked at the boxer just before Christmas, I had a itch to buy a 'short' gun, mainly for car work, but wasn't really needing one as I like 1 tool to do all jobs and that position had been filled with the fx. Got to say the weight surprised me, but I suppose every thing is back on you and not spaced out. Also Ive a neck like a giraffe so I thought I'd need high mounts to get a good comfortable mount as holding it in the shop made me pretty much float my head above the cheek piece to even stand a chance of lining up. Combined I put it back, it felt solid enough but I shouldered a bsa ultra and for only 50quid more, it fitted lovely (tho I've yet to fit a adjustable butt pad) and bought that instead. 

I might try one of these smks tho, there's not a lot of bad stuff said about them on any of the forums. 

Hello, which SMK ?

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Hello, I always found what ever size of scope high mounts are best, just tried Hades pellets and these are spot on with no flyers, cheers

I class my guns as tools for the job in hand and the bullpup was to fill that gap.  I needed an air rifle which in a bag was not obviously a gun for access to a golf course but it needed to do the job at up to 20 yrds from my tripod on tree rats heads.  So far this new gun has almost come up to the mark , but I feel another pellet may just be better than the Hades which seem to group within head size parameters but occasionally I get a flyer.  I have a new site to set up this next week on the same course but I can drive to and shoot from my Land Rover, so the trusty old AA S200 will be brought into play.    With the boxer supported on the tripod lining up the scope is so much eaier and no longer a problem.

Houston we have a problem.....   Just purchased some Webley Mosquito 177s to try in my Boxer bullpup.  They shoot very well indeed with tight groups BUT when I go to feed another pellet somehow it is picking up another pellet and trying to feed that as well.  Pull lever back and extract magazine and the second pellet is pushed against the one in the magazine. Take that away put magazine back in and release bolt and the rifle puts that pellet right on the mark no problem.

Question is how is it picking up this second pellet ?

BUT how is it picking up this second pellet ?    Sequence as I read it, is feed a pellet into chamber,  safe off,  fire, pull lever back and then push forward for another pellet in next chamber. How is the probe picking up ANOTHER pellet and from where?

Yes, these pellets are shorter than most but how is the probe picking up another and from where?

Edited by Walker570

It would appear that is what is happening. Great pity because they do group very well indeed and I can easily shoot it and be aware of the problem. Easy enough to take out the mag and remove offending pellet which when you know is not damaged at all. I still cannot work out how it manages to pick up another pellet.  Out with it Monday morning on the golf course 15 yard to flip top and shooting from the Landy so easy to sort any problems.  One of the challenges of a new rifle, finding a pellet which works all round.

• 4 weeks later...

OK update on the Boxer purchase. Changed the pellet and the problem solved plus this pellet does the job.  Five tree rats this morning not going home tonight.

I have now got used....almost.... to the strange bullpup design, but it does sit neatly on my tripod in my pop up blind and is discreet in a bag when I need to move.

Will not be selling it soon.

Mums the word:lol:   OK  I was recommended these FX 8.44grains  round nose and quite a long skirt absolutely no frills but shoot penny size groups at 25yrds off my tripod.

One head shot today the pellet had exited the skull and strewn the contents on the outside. Assume they are made for FX airguns but they do the job in my Boxer.

Not bad really third time lucky on finding what it enjoyed.  I'm slowly working around this Boxer, ok it is basically unbalanced and heavy...not a problem on the tripod in fact the weight is an advantage.  The cocking mechanism isn't the best design but you just need to be precise in the action of recocking  again not a problem on the tripod.

I eventually found a scope which made getting a good sight picture reasonably possible and again not a problem on the tripod because it just sits there waiting at the right angle and position, so just a matter of sliding up to it.  I now have my one man popup almost spot on and with the slightly lower and wider seat the tripod sits close in  and requires very little movement on my part to get a sight picture and ease a shot off.

My AA S200 is still my favorite for all other shooting but the length made it awkward in a pop up wherehas the Boxer barrel hardly shows outside the hide and if I need to replensih the magazine that is on the opposite side to the S200 and easier to get at plus magnetic so drops in without having to line anyhting up.

I am confident a lot more tree rats are gowing to feel it's wrath.