Custom earplugs

MirokuMK70

One of the microphones on my howard leights has stopped working so will need to replace my hearing protection.

I'm considering some of the custom moulded earplug options. Probably not electronic as i don't shoot enough to justify the expense.

Looking at the cens with the passive filter, but can anyone report on if they are any good? Can you hear what's going on around you while wearing them? Is there a better / cheaper option than the cens, Eg emtech noisebreakers?

Having had Cens, Howard Leight and Peltor, oh, and some very early Emtechs, the last dose of hot weather prompted me to look at the moulded ear plugs. I did my homework,   Cens,     after sales......non-existent,   Vario.......one or two people had slight issues with them but the after sales care was good. Emtech,     do not do digitals. After weeks of pondering I saw a YouTube video advertising some digitals by Custom Fit Guards  (CFG). I contacted them, a week later they came to my home to take the ear moulds. The initial delivery was a little longer than expected, but I was kept well informed of the state of play. When I first tried the ear plugs, although exceptionally comfortable and I was well impressed with them, being deaf I would have liked a bit more volume. I contacted CFG who informed me that it was possible to fit larger speakers to my plugs, if I returned them, which I did.  The modification did take a while, but it was during the heatwave and a lot of people were  er.....'Self Isolating'   !  However, I now have the plugs back fitted with the 'Ghetto Blaster' speakers and they are brilliant. The modification was carried out free of charge. The kit includes an excellent zip case and the plugs come in a variety of colours. There is a full range of different plugs available, both passive and digital and start under £100. My particular choice were £366 which I felt was excellent value for money. I have worn the plugs occasionally in excess of 8 hours and they are very comfortable and the volume level is now the same as my hearing aids.

CFG do a passive ear plug with a valve that you can turn on and off for holding a conversation, I saw it on their website.  

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have EMT (Emtech) Noisebreakers and very pleased with them for 20 years or so.  Yes, you can hear what is going on, and they are very comfortable.  Can't comment on a cheaper option as I have never looked for others now I have these.

+1

Hi I have used the Emtech noisebreakers for about 15 years three pairs and found them very good I’ve just recently two months ago upgraded to some vario hearables the electronic ones and use them sometimes eight hours a day and find them really comfortable I would definitely buy them again, I also have a pair of Peltor sportac I found them nice to wear in the winter but make my ears sweat in the summer, in my humble opinion I don’t think you can beat the digital ones I like to be able to hear what’s going on properly around me although the noise breakers are good the sound can be a little muffled I think vario do passive ones that you can upgrade to digital at a later date if you want maybe something to consider, can’t really comment on the other makes as I’ve never used them but suspect they would be just as good maybe,hope this helps 

regards sf1

On 17/08/2021 at 19:35, JohnfromUK said:

I have EMT (Emtech) Noisebreakers and very pleased with them for 20 years or so.  Yes, you can hear what is going on, and they are very comfortable.  Can't comment on a cheaper option as I have never looked for others now I have these.

Plus one…..been a few posts on this over the years

On 17/08/2021 at 19:35, JohnfromUK said:

I've got a set of Emtech as well, and they are great when on the range, especially when someone is shooting next to you. I don't find them very good though for normal hearing (talking etc) but I'm still pleased with them.