Tail docking loghborough

welshwarrior

Might be worth trying farm vets rather than town pet vets. More likely to be clued up on working dogs.

We used to use Meadow Lane vets in Loughborough when we lived there. Good vets then, but that was 20 years ago and we never needed docking done, so not sure what their stance would be.

Quorn hunt is in the next village, so might be worth asking them if they know someone. 

15 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Hi guys

I’ve a friend try to get a Spaniel puppy’s tail docked in the Loughborough area, she struggling to find a vet who will do it has anyone got any recommendations?

The pup is due to be born next week so time is of the essence.  

Edited by loriusgarrulus

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Meadow Lane will only do it for existing gun dog clients! So as they dams owner is new to the area they won’t help.  

Never having had a docked dogs (labs only for me) I can understand why vets won’t do this and save a dog pain whilst it’s out working.  Am I missing something?

Probably because the vets make most money out of pets than working dogs and they don't want to upset their fluffy owners. 🙄

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Do it yourself its an easy job. sharp knife and disinfectant spray. 

Only snag is you need to provide a signed veterinary certificate with docked puppies these days. 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Meadow Lane will only do it for existing gun dog clients! So as they dams owner is new to the area they won’t help.  

Never having had a docked dogs (labs only for me) I can understand why vets won’t do this and save a dog pain whilst it’s out working.  Am I missing something?

https://www.pinfoldvets.co.uk/

Might be worth trying these. Small independant and East Leake is close to Loughborough. 

40 minutes ago, oowee said:

Do it yourself its an easy job. sharp knife and disinfectant spray. 

Considering the current climate with docking that would be a good way to end up with a criminal conviction sadly :/ 

These days, Can only be done by a Vet and they have to match up the docking paperwork with the dogs microchip. 

Thanks guys this is becoming a bit of a nightmare for the lady concerned, she wants a certain type of (no the norm) spaniel and her partner wants her to work it with his other dogs a couples activity.  

She’s been let down for a pup a few times and this time all looks good, how ever all the other pups are going to show homes so won’t have docked tails. 

It might be worth giving BASC a call they had a list of vets that would do it. Or maybe a gun dog kennel that’s local to you may be able to point you in the right direction, it’s not easy to find a vet that will do it these days.not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs but it might be worth considering getting a Jew claws removed as well I always have them removed on my spaniel’s

regards sf1

On 26/08/2021 at 22:00, Mossy410 said:

We had all our pups docked on the third day after birth, had to provide my gun license and a reason as to why we wanted it done.  The docking has to be done by a vet and the same vet has to do the microchip 

The chip can be implanted by a n other vs.....or possibly even by a licensed implanter.

14 minutes ago, harkom said:

The chip can be implanted by a n other vs.....or possibly even by a licensed implanter.

Most vets won’t give you the docking paperwork unless they also do the microchips so they can make sure they match up appropriately. 

Everyone I know that had it done, the bets retained the docking certs and handed them over when they came back later for chipping. 

On 26/08/2021 at 15:19, harkom said:

Did she manage to find a co-operative practice?

The pups where born today still working on the vet the receptionist has been blocking the path! They have a call with the vet tomorrow to try and make arrangements.  

Im glad I stick to labs with all the hassle!

On 30/08/2021 at 12:05, Lloyd90 said:

Most vets won’t give you the docking paperwork unless they also do the microchips so they can make sure they match up appropriately. 

The customer has the right to take(insist) the docking certificate at the time of amputation.....and have the micro-chip,( and presumably a first vaccination done concurrently) at a later date, by whomsoever vet, before 8 weeks age.

Just remember that these venture capital "vet" practices do all that they can to manipulate the customer base to the benefit of their own profit margin.

[

6 hours ago, harkom said:

The customer has the right to take(insist) the docking certificate at the time of amputation.....and have the micro-chip,( and presumably a first vaccination done concurrently) at a later date, by whomsoever vet, before 8 weeks age.

Just remember that these venture capital "vet" practices do all that they can to manipulate the customer base to the benefit of their own profit margin.

[

No doubt. 

But the Vet (venture capitalist/business owner) also had the ability to say it is their way, or the highway. 

Considering how hard it is becoming to find vets who will even do it I don’t see many people customers in a position to call the shots. 

It used to be about £10 per pup for docking. My mate recently got stung for £80 a pup! 

He couldn’t find anyone else willing to do it. 

7 hours ago, harkom said:

Used to be about £10 / litter. As a point of interest how many pups did your mate have docked at £80... and did that include chip or chip+vacc.?

I’m not sure sorry, I just asked him now and he said he did in-fact (unknown to me) find an older almost retired vet to do it last minute, but apparently that was a nightmare. 

• 2 weeks later...