Police tests.

222mark

The law  also states that if your gun can be easily adjusted to be over 12 fpe then you can be convicted .(what constitutes easily adjusted  is up for debate ,but suffice to say if they WANT to convict you  then any gun can be adjusted  .a gun Smith may be able to do it easily compared to a novice owner .so again debatable) but removing anti tampers plugs and just winding in and out a hammer screw would definitely  fall into easy .imo.

It would be virtually impossible for the Police to prosecute you (or the CPS to be pedantic) for having an Airgun that can be easily adjusted as long as you have not modified it to make it so. For example some Chinese Air Pistols simply require you to remove the grip to access the required mechanism, but who would determine how easy an individual finds it to remove the grip? I have met quite a few people back in my engineering days who don't even know which way a screw turns or how to use a screwdriver. In nearly 50 years of using Air Rifles I have never met anybody that has had their gun taken away for testing, not saying they are not out there, but the Police are far to busy to concentrate on anything that is not virtually guaranteed to get a conviction, having a "friend" that works in the control room I have first hand knowledge of many shooting related incidents that are never even investigated as a matter of policy. 

Edited by bruno22rf

Have you ever noticed in the news that when some one gets injured or worse then it's found that the air gun was actually over the limit and was a fire arm .? 

I'd bet that in most cases the air gun was a normal sub 12  doing around 11.5 fpe .but the police "managed " to find it could do 12 fpe plus .and hence ramp up the potential  conviction. 

The exception  to this would probably be spring guns as it requires a lot more taking apart and alteration  than a pcp .

Suffice to say that if you mess about and act the idiot-  then the police when called,  if looking for a conviction may find your sub 12   a fac .

Mind you, a decent solicitor should be able to argue that if the police managed to remove the end cap with a screwdriver and "easily adjust" your rifle over the limit, they tampered with the evidence making it inadmissable. It's a bit like the police trying to prosecute a shotgun owner with a Sect. 2 certificate purely because it is easy to cut the top off a cartridge and replace the shot with a single lump of lead.

The Policing and Crime Act 2017i inserts a new section 57(1B) in the Firearms Act 1968 to define the lethality by reference to the kinetic energy level with which it can discharge a bullet, shot or missile, as measured at the muzzle of the weapon. Consequently, the 1968 Act now defines a "lethal barrelled weapon" as a "barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule as measured at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged

You would have to be doing something stupid to have your gun tested in the first place 

I had the police turn up on two permission and not once did they say my gun needed to be tested , but I did nothing wrong in the first place . In fact they asked if they could have a go , as they never seen a airgun like it and that was HW100K, they loved it , but who wouldn’t.

Funny thing they didn’t have permission to shoot on the land 😂

I think we all care for are sport, and to give it a good reputation and future we agree to comply, it's hard to gauge the character of a man via a forum but I don't think any here would be wanting to go beyond the law and the level set by law in the main is good enough for most of the sports pursuits.

Thats a good point .

Thing is .just being over the 12 fpe limit by a small amount is absolutely  a waste of time .so running a gun at 13  fpe won't give you any significant  advantage over a 11.5 fpe one .and as such .the difference  between 11.8 and 10.8 fpe is next to zero .

Much better to run your gun with a nice safe margin and be happy in the knowledge  that if the worst did happen you should be well within the law .

To my mind the advantage of trajectory comes at and above  15 fpe  in .177 

24 fpe in .22 

35 fpe in .25  

Depending on pellet choice  obviously