blued steel vs salt water

Sweet11-87

anyone got any tips or tricks for keeping rust at bay  on blued steel on the salt marshes?.  

im a clean freak as far as my guns are concerned and none go back in the cabinet dirty but i just feel im fighting an unwinable fight.

i do plan on buying somthing thats plastic stocked and coated that made for the job as soon as i can but atm its just not financially justifiable before september 1st

gun gets a health coat of napier gun cleaner/lubricator spay on all internal moving parts, once thats evaporated  the chokes get plenty of choke grease and the outside wood and metal get a good wipe down with napier oil then when im done it gets a wipe down with an oil impregnated rag, boresnaked and it goes into one of them breathable silicone socks, and a full strip and clean is priority when im home.

anyone found something that give you a bit more time before the orange devil shows up, or know if any products that offer a bit more protection. i know prevention is better than cure

Edited by Sweet11-87

Just thinking out loud; salt promotes corrosion because it is hygroscopic and so attracts moisture.  Is there any merit in washing of any possible salt contamination from the metalwork with fresh water then drying on a radiator or similar?
I stress that I have not tried this, but it seems logical.  Percussion muzzle loaders are very corrosion prone due to the combustion residue and boiling water is used in cleaning to dissolve the residue and the heat helps dry the metal after it is clean.

Keeping blued barrels blue in a salty environment is an almost lost battle. You could spray them with WD40 directly after use to prevent rusting to start. Then at home rinse them with fresh water to remove the salt, dry them, then give them another WD40 spray to disperse any remaining moisture and wax them the next day is the best you can do to prevent rust. I have done coastal shooting and saw guns of which the barrels and stocks had matching brown colors. The owners didn’t mind a bit about that.

My previous marsh gun was blued barrels with a wooden stock. I used to wax the wood the night before and the a good oily rag over the barrels before I went. Then on return dry cloth over the whole gun then oily rad over the barrels before storage. Never had an issue with rust but I was careful not to lay my gun on the we grass. A good gun slip without a woolly inside is a must. The fluffy inners hold water and will rust the gun before you get back to your car. A good tip is to lay you gun on top of the slip and not on the ground or use your stick to prop the barrels up off the ground. 

boil the metal parts and wipe several coats of boiled linseed oil on it./ them over time it will harden..........warning...the only way to get it off will be to use oven cleaner...

did an experiment with BLO........i sanded and grinded a 1/4" steel plate ....put 2 coats of BLO on it and hung it on the washing line for a year........did not go rusty  just slighty yellow...

After every shoot, give the barrels a good clean (I use Napier VC90 spray) and then give the barrels a generous rub down with a smear of high carbon oil (clean engine oil works well). 

Blued surfaces need to be oiled to lock in the colour, as the bluing process itself is a form of corrosion. I re-blued my SxS's barrels last year and that gun is used in all weather conditions, I'll oil the barrels and then store the gun barrels down in the cabinet and let it soak for a few days before wiping off any excess. You'll find once you've done this hand full of times, it won't be required every time you clean the gun and the barrels will have a very high resistance to moisture and corrosion.

IMG_2141.jpeg.95a8c8012379a5c9c21bd945714d0691.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg.da0d06779180087562ed7bcae75af6fb.jpeg

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

boil the metal parts and wipe several coats of boiled linseed oil on it./ them over time it will harden..........warning...the only way to get it off will be to use oven cleaner...

did an experiment with BLO........i sanded and grinded a 1/4" steel plate ....put 2 coats of BLO on it and hung it on the washing line for a year........did not go rusty  just slighty yellow...

Hello, did you put a post on about that Simon , I seem to remember a discussion on here before, salt water must be  the bain of wildfowling guns,

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, did you put a post on about that Simon , I seem to remember a discussion on here before, salt water must be  the bain of wildfowling guns,

good memory :good:...about 4 or 5 years ago........it was a fairly long post about chassis protection on 4x4's..........

christ time flys...........

really you shouldnt be taking a gun onto the marsh that you a frightened of getting messed up...they are a tool at the end of the day...

Edited by ditchman

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

good memory :good:...about 4 or 5 years ago........it was a fairly long post about chassis protection on 4x4's..........

really you shouldnt be taking a gun onto the marsh that you a frightened of getting messed up...they are a tool at the end of the day...

Hello, I thought so, I use to live by the sea, my motorbike suffered, 🤔🙄

On 20/08/2021 at 08:28, ditchman said:

yeah totally agree, and the plan is to get somthing a bit tougher and built for purpose. probably an SXP or a super nova  but as always life gets in the way and the season comes round before we know it and im a bit cash strapped atm. its not that im frightened to get it messed up  the gun is very much a working tool. its just a run of the mill  11-87, not rare, sought after or expensive by any stretch and weirdly not the first 11-87 ive fired,  but it just fits me perfect and i shoot like a god with it,hence the name, so id rather not beat it into the ground before its time. its my go to for all but PSG now but the saltmarsh is just so brutal an enviroment

thanks everyone for the replies, ive ordered a tub of renassance wax as a bit further reading into it its somthing thats showing up a fair few times on other forums and posts. plus it looks worth while having it around for long storage and stuff, ill post to let folks know how i got on with it

Edited by Sweet11-87