Covering rubber pads with leather

Smokersmith

I've a rubber cheekpiece on my CG that is starting to wear. Rather than replace it, I'm looking to cover it with leather.

Looking at the clip below, it seems a process I'm happy to have a go at myself, and have purchased some contact adhesive and leather off cuts to give it a go.

Anyone else done this or have any tips?

I`ve done one and it`s quite easy so long as you use thin leather, otherwise the creases are hard to get out on the heel and toe of the stock. Follow the Midway video and you won`t go far wrong.

Well worth the effort.

Got a photo somewhere of my Hellis BLNE ejector that I did. Will post later.

Good luck.

OB

2 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I have a rubber comb on mine that has a suede style finish. It has been sanded with a coarse abrasive. 

It's very comfortable to use and you don't slip around on it. 

Just saying. 

Sorry, didn’t read your post properly to realise it was a cheek piece. Same principle though. Probably just as easy, if not easier.

OB

19 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I`ve done one and it`s quite easy so long as you use thin leather, otherwise the creases are hard to get out on the heel and toe of the stock. Follow the Midway video and you won`t go far wrong.

Well worth the effort.

Got a photo somewhere of my Hellis BLNE ejector that I did. Will post later.

Good luck.

OB

Attached photo of the leather covered pad I did on my 16 bore Hellis BLNE.

Not perfect but not too bad for a first attempt. Not too happy about the line of the toe not quite following the line of the stock, but that was down to me shaping the rubber recoil pad wrongly.For some reason other and better photos would not download due to file size despite having downloaded previously !!

I now realise that the OP wished to cover a cheek piece, but the same principle applies.

OB

Hellis 16g.jpg

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

That’s a great job 👏 

Thank you. So if I can do it, I`m sure that you will be able to make a half decent and better job on your cheek piece.

Good luck and as TC said, post some pictures up when you`ve done.

OB

My bit of leather arrived today .. a nice thin dark shade of brown so I’ve been in the garage!

Decided to stretch it over the wooden cheek piece of exact dimensions to avoid distortion of the rubber during stretching.

Jig manufactured and leather wetted and pinned.

I’ve another piece if I mess this one up, but at the moment it’s looking ok.

72B5270C-30A2-47A8-946C-9F074887BB80.jpeg

I used to shoot a lot of trap, and on the odd occasion when I missed I traced it back to lifting my head. I bought the rubber one to take away any excuses from having my cheek welded to the stock, and over time I found it really comfortable.

I also use it on the odd high bird shoot, and on a busy day with heavy loads it does help avoid the odd whack in the chops when the mount isn’t perfect.

23 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Fortunately the greaseproof paper trick worked and it peeled off a treat.

Before and after below, although the state of the rubber in the before picture looks fat batter that it actually was …

Or FAR BETTER!

Fat fingers perchance?