Working as a driver

humperdingle

Hey folks, i’m looking into retraining as an HGV driver. I have no specific HGV or van experience but have been driving since 1989.

So i’m basically looking for pointers on where to look, where to avoid etc with regard to putting myself through training for the licence.

My concern is that i’ve heard of people doing the same, only to be in the catch 22 situation of having no experience, so aren’t given a chance when seeking work.

Any constructive advice from those with experience very welcome :)

My brother did his HGV licence quite a few years back and had the same prob - “you need 2 years experience to drive our trucks”, but nobody would give that experience. So he started driving buses, they’re always looking for drivers apparently. 

Now couldn't be a better time .... if you don't get a job now, you never will!!

Many companies offering incentives to join such as a 5k 'golden hello'.

You may also find that you get your training paid for ... go for it!!

Example of what folks are up against below ...

Due to high volumes to the United Kingdom together with a continuous driver shortage in England, we expect daily delays on deliveries and cannot give any guarantees on the lead times. Unfortunately there is no perspective yet when the situation will stabilize or improve.

In our previous reporting on the market conditions, we have already explained the various causes in detail. We see that circumstances, such as driver shortages and lack of transport capacity, increase in an unpredictable manner, reaching a new climax these days.

The current situation is that we are short of 15 to 20 trucking units with drivers every day to unload in the United Kingdom. Therefore we have come to the position that deliveries will be postponed to a later day with an immediate effect. You will be informed by your contact at Customer Service and or Sales.

While this is beyond our and your sphere of influence, we apologize for any inconvenience. We will do our utmost to prevent disruptions and/or delays as much as possible. Your help in expanding the implementation options is very welcome. Unfortunately, we indicate that this is the first step and not being sure or this is enough.

1 hour ago, Gu5 said:

My brother did his HGV licence quite a few years back and had the same prob - “you need 2 years experience to drive our trucks”, but nobody would give that experience. So he started driving buses, they’re always looking for drivers apparently. 

Hello, Oxford bus company are always looking to train new drivers, that's a good way to start like you mentioned

Daughters boyfriend started on 7 tonners? and the company paid for his HGV training, once he passed he had to agree to stay with the company for at least 2 years or pay back a percentage of the cost of the licence if he left early. Just left the company after 4 years and was clearing 50k with ease but that included some overseas work. 

58 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Now couldn't be a better time .... if you don't get a job now, you never will!!

Many companies offering incentives to join such as a 5k 'golden hello'.

You may also find that you get your training paid for ... go for it!!

Example of what folks are up against below ...

Due to high volumes to the United Kingdom together with a continuous driver shortage in England, we expect daily delays on deliveries and cannot give any guarantees on the lead times. Unfortunately there is no perspective yet when the situation will stabilize or improve.

In our previous reporting on the market conditions, we have already explained the various causes in detail. We see that circumstances, such as driver shortages and lack of transport capacity, increase in an unpredictable manner, reaching a new climax these days.

The current situation is that we are short of 15 to 20 trucking units with drivers every day to unload in the United Kingdom. Therefore we have come to the position that deliveries will be postponed to a later day with an immediate effect. You will be informed by your contact at Customer Service and or Sales.

While this is beyond our and your sphere of influence, we apologize for any inconvenience. We will do our utmost to prevent disruptions and/or delays as much as possible. Your help in expanding the implementation options is very welcome. Unfortunately, we indicate that this is the first step and not being sure or this is enough.

I’ve heard very similar about a local company. Paying £2k hello, paying for training and paying an hourly rate at £16/hr.

No personal experience of driving hgv’s but I have previously looked into exactly what you are talking about, the one company that stood out above all others for me was “Aldi” they run an drivers apprenticeship scheme whereby they put you through all your training but ties you to the company for x amount of years. May be worth a look. 

I manage a refuse company, can't get enough hgvs drivers to be totally honest.Crying out for them most of the time.

A lot of small companies now offer to put people through the hgv test on the written provision that once passed they stay with the company for 2 years.They get a driver for 2 years and the driver gets two years experience then can decide to stay or move on as he has the required experience then.Can  work out well for both of them.

Yes go for it desperate need for class1 drivers held my licence for over 30yrs but due to my current job I can’t drive anymore clash of interests I’m still retaining my licence the old golden hello ranges from 1k to 5k I know one firm offering £19hr on days but that’s supermarket work. Only downside is the driver dcpc waste of time and money but unfortunately it has to be done the firms that will take on no hrs hgv drivers are them who will work you to the bone and are dodgy trying to run bent and the ones with big green trailers u see up and down the motorway whose drivers think they are the best on the road don’t think so. But if you do go for it good luck try to go for either supermarket work or parcel delivery firms which are through my experience leave base one tip and back job done.

If you're thinking about doing it , now is certainly the time , although I'm not sure how long it will be before the transport industry is flooded with drivers , and wages take a dive again.

I was told a few days ago , that one local authority , gave their drivers a £3,000 payrise to try to stop them leaving. I was also yesterday told of a food delivery company, that has started paying their drivers a £150 turning up bonus for Saturday mornings , so they get their usual wages , then £150 on top , even if they only work for two hours.

The shortage is one of the consequences of  Brexit.

A significant number of Eastern Europeans  going home as they’re finding easier work and better pay with less hassle now we’re not in the EU.

It’s causing many of the shortages you may be seeing on Supermarket shelves and many manufacturers are trimming back their ranges to simplify operations and maintain sales with less staff.

Not blaming … but those are the facts.

It’s not just hgv drivers they are struggling with, had an email from a supplier a 20ft container from Far East to U.K. in 18 months has gone from $1500 to over $10000

suplly chains have been made ultra lean with no spare capacity the biggest worry 2 years ago was a crash on a motorway 

the govt are looking to change the liscencing model to free up testing capacity and allowing direct entry to class 1

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/changes-to-hgv-and-bus-driving-tests-and-allowing-car-drivers-to-tow-a-trailer-without-an-extra-test/changes-to-hgv-and-bus-driving-tests-and-allowing-car-drivers-to-tow-a-trailer-without-an-extra-test

Edited by HDAV

Because there was a surplus of Labour the pay and conditions was rubbish but the shoe is on the other foot now.

The haulage companies are moaning about all the Eastern European drivers going home but they had to because they were all on contract.

Offer them a proper job and they can get a work permit but the haulage firms don't want to do that

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/08/2021 at 13:03, humperdingle said:

Hey folks, i’m looking into retraining as an HGV driver. I have no specific HGV or van experience but have been driving since 1989.

So i’m basically looking for pointers on where to look, where to avoid etc with regard to putting myself through training for the licence.

My concern is that i’ve heard of people doing the same, only to be in the catch 22 situation of having no experience, so aren’t given a chance when seeking work.

Any constructive advice from those with experience very welcome

Have you had any luck getting a HGV ?

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Have you had any luck getting a HGV ?

Went for my medical yesterday and have just sent off the forms for provisional. Should get that on about two weeks, then I can book into a training centre and get the theory parts done.

At the moment, i’m studying via online resources and a DVSA handbook.

Regarding the streamlining of tests, There is new legislation coming so new HGV drivers can go straight to C+E testing. Not sure how I feel about that… i’d rather get a bit of driving experience with a rigid 7.5 ton first tbh.

Hopefully that will be an option.

2 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Went for my medical yesterday and have just sent off the forms for provisional. Should get that on about two weeks, then I can book into a training centre and get the theory parts done.

At the moment, i’m studying via online resources and a DVSA handbook.

Regarding the streamlining of tests, There is new legislation coming so new HGV drivers can go straight to C+E testing. Not sure how I feel about that… i’d rather get a bit of driving experience with a rigid 7.5 ton first tbh.

Hopefully that will be an option.

Ok all sounds good 👍