Beware, there’s a scammer

Tom Malone

I’ve been trying to sell my gun for a while now and someone reached out to me. His “contact name” was Dann Foster. He reached out to me via an email he used, which was danfoster1711@gmail.com

He offered to pay via postal order. I was waiting for it for 2 weeks. He never kept his receipt for the postal order. No way was I giving the gun to him, or will, if he claims he has paid and sent it.

After I googled his email address it came up, along with a long list of others, as an email in conjunction with known scamming of people and their goods. I’ve reported him to the police and they got back to me saying this isn’t the first incident with this person. Be careful, a known trick, yes, but just a heads up.

if anyone gives any information to you that you can google like phone numbers, addresses or emails, it’s always worth googling or typing into social media to check if everything is legitimate. Just in case you didn’t know. 

all the best 🦆🕊

17 minutes ago, Tom Malone said:

I’ve been trying to sell my gun for a while now and someone reached out to me. His “contact name” was Dann Foster. He reached out to me via an email he used, which was danfoster1711@gmail.com

He offered to pay via postal order. I was waiting for it for 2 weeks. He never kept his receipt for the postal order. No way was I giving the gun to him, or will, if he claims he has paid and sent it.

After I googled his email address it came up, along with a long list of others, as an email in conjunction with known scamming of people and their goods. I’ve reported him to the police and they got back to me saying this isn’t the first incident with this person. Be careful, a known trick, yes, but just a heads up.

if anyone gives any information to you that you can google like phone numbers, addresses or emails, it’s always worth googling or typing into social media to check if everything is legitimate. Just in case you didn’t know. 

all the best 🦆🕊

Thanks for sharing Tom. 

1 hour ago, B391 said:

I have a lovely Remmy 11-87 Premier Skeet I want to sell but just not sure about the risks.

mmmm postal order waiting buddy, PM me your address! ;)

How does it shoot by the way, I've seen it in a local shop and wondering if I should go for a cheap new semi, or a second hand branded wooden semi.

@HantsRob

It shoots really well, sat in a cabinet for many many years and looks hardly used when I bought it last year. 

Been serviced with new action spring etc and very reliable. 25 1/2 inch barrel and has full set of chokes, no marks on the barrel and the forend and stock are in very good condition.

Recently shot a 70 round of sporting and 2 rounds of skeet with it and no issues. Lovely gun.

I'm only selling it as I am trying to concentrate on 1 gun 

On 20/08/2021 at 08:46, B391 said:

Slightly OT but linked to the above.  

This is why I am very nervous about selling a gun to any private person if I don't know them

I have a lovely Remmy 11-87 Premier Skeet I want to sell but just not sure about the risks.

Sell it via a RFD to a RFD selected by the Buyer.
Nothing goes anywhere without your RFD getting the money.
You pay a small fee, as does the Buyer, but you are both "protected".

18 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

This. 
On the other hand, I’ve bought and sold to/from people on this forum. Met up in car parks and lay byes. You generally get a feel for when things are kosher or not. 
But if in doubt, then do as Cranfield suggests above. Have done this many a time also. 

1 hour ago, Cranfield said:

Many won’t do it through them anymore. 

You have to send your FAC away to the seller, they fill it out etc, then post it back and RFD posts the gun. 

The RFD don’t touch the paperwork or the money from what I can see. 

Used to be a lot easier when the RFD sorted it all but around me they’re all refusing to do it now and say the Police are being hot on doing it the ‘proper way’. 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Many won’t do it through them anymore. 

You have to send your FAC away to the seller, they fill it out etc, then post it back and RFD posts the gun. 

The RFD don’t touch the paperwork or the money from what I can see. 

Used to be a lot easier when the RFD sorted it all but around me they’re all refusing to do it now and say the Police are being hot on doing it the ‘proper way’. 

I believe this is the case nowadays, yes. Seems ludicrous to me….send your ticket off to a complete stranger! 😂