Roberts radio / cd ?.

samboy

Hi gang

My as above has stopped working. The digital functions are changing when i work the remote but no sound is coming out 

of the radio or cd. I have tried resetting it as the manual says but to no avail. Any ideas chaps or should i just bin it.

Will probably be too dear to send off for repair.

Thanks all. 

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang

My as above has stopped working. The digital functions are changing when i work the remote but no sound is coming out 

of the radio or cd. I have tried resetting it as the manual says but to no avail. Any ideas chaps or should i just bin it.

Will probably be too dear to send off for repair.

Thanks all. 

Depends where you send it off to. I have an inkling this is the sort of thing that manufacturers tell you would be too costly to repair, but in reality it's actually eminently possible. I can't guarantee it, obviously, but I'm betting if you did a bit of a google search for self fixing/electronic fixers in your local area, there will be someone who knows what needs to be done. 

The right to repair's going through parliament at the moment and it's because of instances like yours. People should be able to fix their own stuff. Fixing clubs and groups are springing up all over the place and a lot of it is this sort of thing. Could be worth a shot and it's always satisfying to fix something that most would just chuck out through ignorance/laziness.

I suspect that if (and many aren't made for it) you can open it, you can check for any dropped off wires, loose connectors etc.  Roberts stuff is now (as far as I know) made in China and whilst no worse than any others, isn't make to be repaired.  Even if you could find the fault, if it is a failed board, or component, you will probably struggle to get the part from anywhere.

On 20/08/2021 at 18:05, samboy said:

It's about 12 years old but i cant remember how how much i paid for it. 

that more or less answers the question then. I very much doubt parts would still be available if you did choose to go down that route.

Are Roberts saying they will definitely fix it or is that just to have a look at it?

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Rang Roberts today and they quoted me £78 to repair including postage both ways so i didn't think that was too bad.

A lot cheaper than buying a new one. 

I found them very helpful when I rang them about a problem with one of ours. The alarm kept coming on full blast in the night 🙄🙄 this was operarator error not a fault with the radio. 78 quid is not bad in my opinion to repair it. Before you do have a look around sometimes Richer Sounds have good deals on new ones. Got both of mine from there.

Edited - Just looked and richer sounds don't have any. 

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

54 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

that more or less answers the question then. I very much doubt parts would still be available if you did choose to go down that route.

Are Roberts saying they will definitely fix it or is that just to have a look at it?

£78 to repair which includes both way postage. I explained to them what the fault is.  

• 2 weeks later...