BSA Meteor MK 1 , 1959/1962 Serial No T 33735 in 22 , any PW member have same rifle, no back sight, looking to fit a scope

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, been asked to tidy up the above air rifle, belongs to the farm family I've known many years, only used for plinking and rats in the garden, I've got an old Hawke HD, these have 2 X short 15mm rails, can only find sportsmatch T O 48 mounts, anyone tried to fit standard dovetail mounts with longer bolts, ? Not going to strip it down, maybe change breech seal, any thoughts, cheers

41 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I find that hawke match mounts  work quite well on 13 mm bsa rails  you can flip over the clamp .and the should fit .

But that's on a flat topped dove tail .

Are they curved on top of your meteor ? 

Hello, thanks to reply, it's the early 15 mm x 2 short rails and seem flat ?

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Many moons ago you could get Parker Hale mounts to fit. 
I have Mk.1 Meteor but with original scope and mounts, which, of course, are a joke by today’s standards.

How many shots will it hold zero for? I remember those flimsy things, had a Webley 4x15 on my Vulcan, spent most of the time re-zeroing it😂

3 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

How many shots will it hold zero for? I remember those flimsy things, had a Webley 4x15 on my Vulcan, spent most of the time re-zeroing it😂

I honestly have no idea. It is kept as part of a collection and only fired once a year, about six shots.

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Would taking a flat file like the raker one for your chainsaw, and taking a mil or 2 off each side of the mount work? Most are only ali, so a normal 9-11 with 1-2mm off each side would open up to 13-15mm roughly. 

Yup that looks like my old meteor mk1

Hello, I might try something like that, but may need longer bolts, 

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Would taking a flat file like the raker one for your chainsaw, and taking a mil or 2 off each side of the mount work? Most are only ali, so a normal 9-11 with 1-2mm off each side would open up to 13-15mm roughly. 

Yup that looks like my old meteor mk1

Hello, the one I'm sorting is quite clean on the rails, I will just rub off the rusty marks and try fitting a scope

37 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I found some 2 BA x 1 inch bolts on the bay, Allen key fitting, what you reckon, I could cut to size, 

Just ordered pack of 5

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

so that you get a true fitting of the scope mounts onto the meteor............rub the bottom of the scope mounts completly flat on some sandpaper............

I shall use a half round file under bottom of scope mounts

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I found some 2 BA x 1 inch bolts on the bay, Allen key fitting, what you reckon, I could cut to size, 

Whoa!
I don’t know if 2BA will be the correct size for your mounts, I was speaking generally that you wouldn’t be beat by a bloody screw. 
You are more likely to find that the screws required are metric, maybe 4mm. Only measurement can tell.
Sorry if I misled you.

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Whoa!
I don’t know if 2BA will be the correct size for your mounts, I was speaking generally that you wouldn’t be beat by a bloody screw. 
You are more likely to find that the screws required are metric, maybe 4mm. Only measurement can tell.
Sorry if I misled you.

Oh to late now 🙄😁