Bullet from muntjac to fallow

Hi guys, with the recent news of my first fac being accepted my after recommendations of bullets ideally that won’t make a mess of a munty and will take a fallow. 
the caliber that my land is cleared for is .243 and I know there’s been a million discussions on the .243 and fallow and I’m fully aware that some think it’s not up to the job but bottom line is that’s all I was able to be granted that’s that’s what I’m having to use. If anyone has any recommendations of suitable bullets I’d be really grateful to save me having to use trail and error and lots of money! 
thanks guys

darren 

Personally, I would steer clear of ballistic tip type bullets, SST’s, etc. They are pretty explosive and will make a mess of Fallow. Choose a less frangible bullet which is suitable for Fallow and they will also be fine on Muntjac with no problems.

This, of course, is assuming boiler room shots.

Edited by London Best

Utter nonsense the 243 is no good for fallow, I’ve personally grassed more than my Share with it, it’s all about picking your shot AND bullet placement, I’ve seen guys who couldn’t stop a fallow with a 308.

same goes for damage, yes bullet type plays a large part, but placement is just as important

personally I am having superb results with sako game king, and getting consistent results from 243, 6.5 and 308, I shoot mostly, munt, Chinese and fallow, with the odd roe.

You would be wise to try a few and see what the rifle likes, however I have found the sako ammo seems to suit most everything I’ve tried it in.

Do your part and you will be very happy with the humble 243

Edited by Free range Rob

When I had time to reload I had a lot of success with Sierra soft points 100gr they were very effective without being massively destructive....unless you shot a fox with them then it looked like you'd hit them with an axe. Don't use hornady 58g Vmax unless you're exclusively going to head shoot and even then they're not one of my favourite bullets. Sako 70gr are very effective and what I currently shoot out of my 243.

44 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

When I had time to reload I had a lot of success with Sierra soft points 100gr they were very effective without being massively destructive....unless you shot a fox with them then it looked like you'd hit them with an axe. Don't use hornady 58g Vmax unless you're exclusively going to head shoot and even then they're not one of my favourite bullets. Sako 70gr are very effective and what I currently shoot out of my 243.

Cheers for that another good option, out of interest have you ever tried them on fallow ? Thanks mate

I shoot Barnes TTSX and like most other bullets, if you put it in the right place/heart and lungs then you will have venison on the table I have had to shoot too many fallow walking around with bottom jaws hanging off, shot by one of these 'neck it' shooters PLUS a heart lung shot will drain a lot of the blood from the meat making it far more palatable..

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, cervusman said:

I only use Hornady 95gr SST bullets in my 243 mainly for muntjac and CWD and have found that if I do my part theses no meat damage. I have shot fallow and red with my 243 using  SST bullets with no problems.

Conversely, I once had to buy SST bullets instead of my regular spire points as they were all my dealer had available. These were 150 grain .308’s.  
The damage on the first half dozen fallow was so unacceptable that I bought something different as soon as possible and used the SST’s for practice.

• 2 weeks later...