Why do rabbits jump when shot?

myuserid

I guess that like with damaged,de oxygenated human brains there are all kind of chaotic activity in the recently splatted animal brain that sends out the last few signals to the body.I expect the death throes of a fit strong mammal to be greater than those of an old sick frail person.Only guessing though.That and the fact their reflexes are much more able to operate despite the taking out of the nervous control.Need a vet really to answer properly.

I think it's down to adrenaline myself.

Rabbits are a bit **** at staying alive. If they forget to eat they can die, they will eat things poisonous to them and really their only defence is run away. Problems there too, since they can simply die of fright due to having very weak hearts, if that doesn't get them they can simply break their own spines by kicking too hard.

The one thing that they have is the ability to run away, driven by adrenaline. Younger ones are daft as we all know but have more adrenaline to make up for it. I think this is why the younger ones will kick much longer, even when smacked in the napper with a 17grn bullet doing 2000fps+

I shot a fox which did a jump up high landed on its side stone dead.... 3 of us watched it in amazement....

Friday last week, FB111 shot a running fox at 133 yards, we all saw it get hit, it ran, stumbled, leaped and then landed on its head trying to do that weird breakdance windmilly thing before dropping absoultely stone dead. :/

I go with adrenaline, animals instinct is to survive at all costs regardless, their pain thresholds are miles higher than us wimpy humans and so it doesn't register in the animals brain.

SS

The jumping and kicking is just the motor nerves firing caused by the sudden massive brain damage. Adrenalin will/can only play a part if the rabbit was alerted to your presence before you shoot it. A nervous rabbit ready to run will be full of adrenaline. A rabbit blissfully unaware of its impending doom will not have adrenaline coursing around its system.

Leeboy

hydraulic shock ,couple that with the fact the a HMR fragmenting in the boiler room does so much damage .I have had runners though with the HMR :blush:

I can echo that perfectly. Long before I had my own .17 the first shot I ever saw with one was by a local gamekeeper, guessed at 120 yds, paced with good paces to 137yds. It, from knowing what they sound like now, was hit and hit hard. Vanished from vision.

Bino's out and nothing to be seen. I took SS's dog and had a look, took us both about 5 minutes to find it about 23 paces from where it was hit (massive blood spot in the grass) at right angles to the shot. Becky found it and looked surprised to see it where she did, she locks on to them and normally runs right up to where they fall.

It's front legs were only attached to its back legs by the skin of it's back. How it moved that far I will never know.

Since having my own I have seen this and worse.

I am convinced it's to do with the speed of the bullet. Makes no sense, but they don't seem to register for a few seconds or so it seems :good:

As said before, a reflex action.

Rabbits run, pigeons fly away.

I once shot a pigeon with a .22 air rifle and it flew out of the tree and was off across the field when it closed it's wings and fell out of the sky.

Plucking it later and I noticed it was a heart shot. Pellet went right through the heart.

/Mad

As said before, a reflex action.

Rabbits run, pigeons fly away.

I once shot a pigeon with a .22 air rifle and it flew out of the tree and was off across the field when it closed it's wings and fell out of the sky.

Plucking it later and I noticed it was a heart shot. Pellet went right through the heart.

/Mad

Just because it was shot in the heart doesn't mean its dead (the brain still functions, so it will fly away).

I was watching a ballistics program on sky the other day, they said the police go for head shots as this kills instantly and there is no way the victim can shoot back. If they shoot in the heart they can still fire back for up to 20 seconds after their heart has been punctured. Its only when the brain is starved of oxygen do they die.

So I suppose it all depend on where the rabbit it shot.

ill give an example of how a rabbit may be more clever than it would seem we were out one day in some local permission doing a spot of wabbiting! we shoot rabbits for the Fota wildlife park in cork, we supply the food for the "big" cats!. we spotted a new set of about 5 or 6 holes and set up on a higher bank and waited for the hun to show! after about three had appeared we decided to take them then the little browning buckmark .22 had had its barrel shortened to just 10.1/2 inches and was fitted with an 8 baffle silencer made by the owner! (works a treat) bang bang two down one more i lined up this time as i ws given the privelage of a shot, i lined up on the ******* head squeezed he jumped about four foot into the air and somehow managed to kick himself about a metre and a half down the hole he was shot just above the eye! whether they have an inner longing for home that strives in their last few second i dont know or.....it just could have been coincidence its not the first time its happened!!