Back in lockdown! (NZ)

Houseplant

😞 utterly bonkers, considering the population density.  I know in the early days everyone was holding NZ up as a shining example of how to contain the covid outbreak, but really is it necessary now to lock down the whole country over a handful of cases?  Surely they've figured out by now that if you're surrounded by mountains and lakes and don't see anyone all day you're pretty much OK?!

I would trade the UK’s response for NZ’s. I know several people who died of CV-19, my single-mum asthmatic cousin being one. My mother almost died but survived after a lengthy hospital stay, she can no longer walk more than 50 yards or pick up her small grandchildren. An electrician in his 30s on one of my sites was on a ventilator for weeks, he has long covid. His teeth have crumbled and his strength is gone, he can no longer run. My memory is long enough to sort the wheat from the chaff. 

Other people will not have been exposed to such events and so I can understand their frustrations. As a small business owner I have been annoyed by the lockdowns destroying my prospects.

Edited by WalkedUp

48 minutes ago, London Best said:

Must’ve been a hungry man who first opened one and thought, “I’ll eat that.”

desperate.........or disparate.....or deprived.......put it in the same catorgary as scat.....................will fess up now...........i had one........well nearly had one....i put it in my mouth and having recently had a heavy cold.....it reminded me of a large gobbit of chesty phlem.......and as it was cold....some one elses chesty phlem at that....the furthest it made was the back of my throat .....and came out a lot bloody quicker than it went in.......i could have won gold in the international gobbing championships....

yeeeee----uck

Edited by ditchman

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Ditchie, you are a braver man than I am!

i tell you boi....ive had sum rum stuff in the old mouff......but that tops the lot.....not the taste....its how it feels.......im the same with sharks fin soup and birds nest soup......i mean ..i ask you who really gets a stiffy eating bird spit with grass.......:w00t:

I hate the smell of fish so much I can’t even open a tin of sardines for the dog without throwing up. I don’t even like to sit at the same table as someone eating fish. Aged twelve, I puked all over the biology teacher when she made me stick my fingers through a fish’s gills after I had told her why I was not prepared to do it.

On 24/08/2021 at 00:43, Jim Neal said:

😞 utterly bonkers, considering the population density.  I know in the early days everyone was holding NZ up as a shining example of how to contain the covid outbreak, but really is it necessary now to lock down the whole country over a handful of cases?  Surely they've figured out by now that if you're surrounded by mountains and lakes and don't see anyone all day you're pretty much OK?!

Just out of interest, were the people affected by Covid pre or post a vaccine?

The point about NZ and Oz is that they have all the bad stuff to come because their vaccine take up is dreadful. So they will isolate their countries from the world, wreck their domestic economies and tip their populations over the edge / to riot (imagine being in your teens, twenties or thirties in Oz and in curfew / lockdown for a virus that won’t scratch you) and yet they will still end up in the same position had they just let it go save that they will bankrupt themselves in the process.

Bottom line, like the common cold, we’re all getting this at some point and a lockdown isn’t a long term solution to something which can’t be physically stopped.

Edited by Mungler

6 hours ago, Mungler said:

Just out of interest, were the people affected by Covid pre or post a vaccine?

The point about NZ and Oz is that they have all the bad stuff to come because their vaccine take up is dreadful. So they will isolate their countries from the world, wreck their domestic economies and tip their populations over the edge / to riot (imagine being in your teens, twenties or thirties in Oz and in curfew / lockdown for a virus that won’t scratch you) and yet they will still end up in the same position had they just let it go save that they will bankrupt themselves in the process.

Bottom line, like the common cold, we’re all getting this at some point and a lockdown isn’t a long term solution to something which can’t be physically stopped.

Stop derailing this oyster thread

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

All good. I've been heavily involved in heated COVID19 discussions on NZ forums, so I'll just read the words of wisdom here and pass no comment 😀

Apparently there’s riots in France and Belgium over lockdowns but none of that makes our news.

I’m intrigued, what’s the general mood like in NZ? Do you all think your PM is doing a fabulous job?

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Stop derailing this oyster thread

I love Oysters. Had half a dozen only last week in Rules 😆

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

Apparently there’s riots in France and Belgium over lockdowns but none of that makes our news.

I’m intrigued, what’s the general mood like in NZ? Do you all think your PM is doing a fabulous job?

I love Oysters. Had half a dozen only last week in Rules 😆

how many of them worked........if you know what i mean..;)

7 hours ago, Mungler said:

Mood is OK at the moment, although public sentiment is on a knife edge. I think most people would agree that our government did a good job with the management of COVID19/lockdown a year ago. This time opinion is mixed. The government has tried to balance health concerns against social and economic concerns by opening up the border with Australia, but it hasn't worked out and vaccine rollout has been slow. In a sense, we are back to square one, so no one is happy whichever side of he debate they are on.

Bottom line:  if you live out in the sticks, who gives a monkey's if you just carry on your life as normal, obviously taking sensible precautions such as not swapping spit and breath with anyone?  Who's there to deliver swift justice to you as public enemy number 1?  Who's realistically going to shop you to the covid cops?

I can honestly say my life was normal during our lockdowns, except for not seeing my family and my work shrinking to almost nothing for a few short periods of time.

On 27/08/2021 at 10:25, Jim Neal said:

Bottom line:  if you live out in the sticks, who gives a monkey's if you just carry on your life as normal, obviously taking sensible precautions such as not swapping spit and breath with anyone?  Who's there to deliver swift justice to you as public enemy number 1?  Who's realistically going to shop you to the covid cops?

I can honestly say my life was normal during our lockdowns, except for not seeing my family and my work shrinking to almost nothing for a few short periods of time.

Pretty much that. I can only speak for myself as I'm in a relatively good position re: work/income, but if we were allowed to fish/hunt, I'd be happy to stay in lockdown forever.

1 hour ago, yates said:

Raw oysters are great with either lemon or tobasco. Also great on the barbecue with a herb and butter dressing. I get mine delivered from the lindisfarne oyster farm. Twenty two quid for twenty four oysters what a bargain 😁

Yeah, I like raw with lemon and salt. Hot smoked most of the ones we harvested the other day to make them more kid friendly.