Making sloe gin

ultimate hunter

Are there any good little tips and tricks? also when using a glass jar is it safe to seal it or is a sealed container necessary and what does it do being sealed

It is safe to seal it, unless you are a divvy and think it will ferment when pickled in 40% alcohol. If you don`t seal it the alcohol which is volotile will evaporate and you won`t get what you were after.....a buzz.

Remember to put the fruit into sherry/port afterwards for another spell, before bottling the liquid, and then remove the stones from the fruit and mix with choccy for nice adult nibbles.

Are there any good little tips and tricks? also when using a glass jar is it safe to seal it or is a sealed container necessary and what does it do being sealed

It is safe to seal it, unless you are a divvy and think it will ferment when pickled in 40% alcohol. If you don`t seal it the alcohol which is volotile will evaporate and you won`t get what you were after.....a buzz.

Remember to put the fruit into sherry/port afterwards for another spell, before bottling the liquid, and then remove the stones from the fruit and mix with choccy for nice adult nibbles.

Hd, how long in gin? then how long in sherry/port?

Hd, how long in gin? then how long in sherry/port?

The longer the better but at least 6 months shaking every so often.

Lancslad made some last year, but managed to spray it all over his kitchen, so I would take any hint from him with a caution.

webber

:/

Hi,

Another good tip is to keep it in dark bottles or in the dark as sunlight will turn the nice purple colour to a mucky brown. Still tastes good though!

Mike

Erm..................I did have a demijohn crack last year when it was "sealed".

However, think this may have had something to do with me storing the "mix" near a radiator.

That was a nice experience...........................sticky mess and about 3 ltrs of it.....

Time to get picking again people.......................Only one bottle left.....

Erm..................I did have a demijohn crack last year when it was "sealed".

However, think this may have had something to do with me storing the "mix" near a radiator.

That was a nice experience...........................sticky mess and about 3 ltrs of it.....

Time to get picking again people.......................Only one bottle left.....

As HD said above, alcohol is volatile. If you put it near a radiator it will evaporate and build pressure, so at least you know for next time :blush:

I used to make it, but I hate Gin! I make Raspberry vodka instead now <_<

I`m going to attempt to make some Sloe Gin this year and have been a brought a 3 litre container a few questions though if anyone can help me out,

Based on a 3 litre container,

1 - how much Gin ?

2 - " " sugar ?

3 - weight of Sloe`s ?

4 - Do i need to completly fill the jar to the brim or is it best to leave a gap at the top ?

I use an extremely scientific method for making sloe gin (and bramble whiskey too which imho is the very best of all!):

1. Take large jar / bottle & put your fruit in - much as you like but don't pack it in as you need gaps between.

2. Half fill with your chosen alchol

3. Add some sugar & shake to dissolve sugar

4. Keep adding sugar till it stops dissolving

5. If theres still space add more alchol & repeat 3 & 4 until the jar is full.

Then put it away somewhere cool & dark (I use the cupboard under the stairs where it keeps me cartridges company:) ) & turn occasionally.

After a good while filter it off, bottle it then lay it down for at least a week. After that all the sediment you missed will settle & you can decant it off like a decent port.

Fill your flask, drink & enjoy!!

The only snag is with method is that it can come out a bit syrupy - last year's batch was a bumper harvest so we used a 5l camping water bottle to make it in, consequently there was a bit more sugar than normal. Neat it reminded me of a potent version of the red stuff they used to put in school rice pudding. Anyway diluting it with more gin after we bottled it proved sucessful & meant we had even more to go at - shame! :exclamation:

I`m going to attempt to make some Sloe Gin this year and have been a brought a 3 litre container a few questions though if anyone can help me out,

1 - how much Gin ? 1 bottle 150cl, 2 bottles

2 - " " sugar ? 500grams

3 - weight of Sloe`s ? 1kg

4 - Do i need to completly fill the jar to the brim or is it best to leave a gap at the top ? Doesn't matter

My answers are above, that is for

If you do a search on the web you will get loads of different recipes and opinions.

I have just decanted a kilner jar from exactly a year ago using those ratio's and it is spot on, couldn't be better.

I only use decent gin, some say it doesn't matter, I say it does.

Freeze the berries and then pour the gin over them they will split and relaese their juice, I have tried pricking them and it didn't make any difference.

I only shake it in the early stages, once the suger has disolved I just leave it, then filter off through a double layer of muslin a year later.

Easy as that :yes:

1 - how much Gin ? 1 bottle 150cl, 2 bottles

2 - " " sugar ? 500grams

3 - weight of Sloe`s ? 1kg

4 - Do i need to completly fill the jar to the brim or is it best to leave a gap at the top ? Doesn't matter

My answers are above, that is for

If you do a search on the web you will get loads of different recipes and opinions.

I have just decanted a kilner jar from exactly a year ago using those ratio's and it is spot on, couldn't be better.

I only use decent gin, some say it doesn't matter, I say it does.

Freeze the berries and then pour the gin over them they will split and relaese their juice, I have tried pricking them and it didn't make any difference.

I only shake it in the early stages, once the suger has disolved I just leave it, then filter off through a double layer of muslin a year later.

Easy as that :blink:

Cheers for that,

I got most of them near apart from the suger where i only added 350 grms .i suppose i can add more if required at a latter date ?

That is an interesting agle Keith, and as my mate now keeps bees, hmmm

The real problem I have with experimenting with Sloe Gin recipes is . .

A year a very long time to wait for something that isn't absolutely right, and you never know how many years you have left :blink:

As Is aid further up I just decanted some sloe gin, I always right a label on the jar of the ratio and gin used, for reference.

On of the labels I was peeling of was October 2003 and it seems like only last year I satrted playing with this stuff :oops:

If you want a nice drink try making Ginger Whiskey...

I buy a cheap bottle of whisky and then add 4 good size cut up lumps of Ginger.Forgot to say add a spoonful of honey

Place all this in a Demi jar and shake hard every day for about 2 weeks.......filter and put it back into the original whisky bottle...its uummmmmmmmmmm delicous

One of the reasons I use the honey is that I always ending up drinking it far too early - I can never wait a year. I think I must make a really big batch and put some in a safe with a time lock!

I like the sound of ginger whisky - will give that a try ready for Christmas.