Ducks vanishing - is it a fox or something else?

24 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

No we've never bothered.  Putting something up before next season might be an idea.  However as ditchman has said above it could also be that they strayed off with some wild ducks.  There were about six wild ducks on the pond the day we put the new ones on. 

There's your answer. Keep feeding and they and others will return. Next time put a plastic ring on one or two and just see how many are shot rung.

5 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

There's your answer. Keep feeding and they and others will return. Next time put a plastic ring on one or two and just see how many are shot rung.

dont be to downhearted....if you put a bit of feed out now and again .......you might just might end up with a shed load..:good:

I have never released ducks, plenty of pheasants and partridge yes, but I have heard that occasionally mallard growers can just up and walk off en masse, to be found on a drain or lake sometimes a good distance away.  

Normally a predator leaves behind some evidence of its visits

The problem with these long threads is that they loose their original understanding…..understandably. It’s been established that clumps of feathers were found near the pond and a fox was spotted on a night cam’ soon afterwards. It is almost  certain that the fitter / flightier ducks have absconded and taken alternative accommodation. Before anything is done - the fox needs to be shot. It’s as simple as that really. 

5 hours ago, kamyonsofor said:

I would say Mink.

I haven’t seen mink for years where I live (thankfully). There used to be lots of them. The growing otter population has helped their demise tremendously. There might be a few knocking about in other areas (?), I don’t know. 

I would still shoot the fox though - as a matter of standard business. Put a mink trap out as well. They are relatively easy to trap. Look for footprints in the mud. 

12 hours ago, Fellside said:

I haven’t seen mink for years where I live (thankfully). There used to be lots of them. The growing otter population has helped their demise tremendously. There might be a few knocking about in other areas (?), I don’t know. 

I would still shoot the fox though - as a matter of standard business. Put a mink trap out as well. They are relatively easy to trap. Look for footprints in the mud. 

On the North Beds /Northants border some years ago there were mink farms and the antis released a load so they travel distances well and they are  in the Bedford town area in the Ouse tributaries and fishing lakes ,evil little critters, like the Cormorants.