Mental detectors

Stewiew

So been out over the last few weeks on my perms and noticed lots of metal detectorists out. I was sat in the hide when one popped around the corner of the hedge and headed towards my decoys. Obviously I slipped the gun and had made my presence known. Whilst greeting the person in question I was told I know you were there. I explained that It was not the safest thing to do. I was told that he was aware I was there. I ended the conversation and he walked off only to return half later with another and proceeded to have a picnic on the bales about 40 yards off my pattern. Has anybody else had this problem? Is it worth discussing with the landowner?  

10 minutes ago, Stewiew said:

So been out over the last few weeks on my perms and noticed lots of metal detectorists out. I was sat in the hide when one popped around the corner of the hedge and headed towards my decoys. Obviously I slipped the gun and had made my presence known. Whilst greeting the person in question I was told I know you were there. I explained that It was not the safest thing to do. I was told that he was aware I was there. I ended the conversation and he walked off only to return half later with another and proceeded to have a picnic on the bales about 40 yards off my pattern. Has anybody else had this problem? Is it worth discussing with the landowner?  

Hello, first I would have asked if they had permission as it is not unusual to get people detecting without permission, I had this on my friends farm with a foreigner just stopped his van and went over a newly drilled field, there's no justification on them being that close but that's how some detectorists are, you can only talk to the landowner and ask him if their out in the fields you want to shoot on next time, if you see them again you can only be amicable or end up with a flat tyre like I had, 

16 minutes ago, tonyshooter said:

I have had this and after pointing out that permission was required they promptly left.

They had already recoverd a number of empty centre fire cases, which they were convinced were worthy of informing the police about !

Hello, I would have said that's a good idea, then the police would ask how and where they found the cases ? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Initially, I thought the topic title "mental" detector was a typo, but now I'm not so sure! 😱

It sounds like either there's been a lack of communication between the landowner and the mental guys, or the mental guys just simply don't understand that they're crossing the boundary of what's acceptable in that situation - probably new to the pursuit.

Definitely speak to the landowner.  Remain calm and matter-of-fact, explaining the issues you've had.  Hopefully he'll either put a flea in their ear and they'll change their behaviour, or else he'll just sack them off and problem solved.

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I would have said that's a good idea, then the police would ask how and where they found the cases ? 

... and in doing so they'll have given their names and addresses to the Police, easily facilitating a complaint to be made against them ;)

35 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Many landowners have wised up to the quick money that detectorists can bring, large groups such as the "weekend wanderers" can pay a lot of money for a days traipsing around your fields.

Hello, your right bruno, it's a big business now , and night Hawking's still rife , from original post you still have to be careful when confronting people out in the fields, 

8 hours ago, tonyshooter said:

I have had this and after pointing out that permission was required they promptly left.

They had already recoverd a number of empty centre fire cases, which they were convinced were worthy of informing the police about !

mental defector's

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Many landowners have wised up to the quick money that detectorists can bring, large groups such as the "weekend wanderers" can pay a lot of money for a days traipsing around your fields.

Farmers are very busy people and more so when the harvest begin , they haven't got time to inform everyone who have got permission to shoot their land about metal detectors might be about and from the farmers point of view they are doing very little harm going on the stubbles before a new crop is going in , also the farmer might not have seen anyone shooting pigeons since the last harvest when the bulk of pigeon shooters turn out in force when the stubbles appear .

On one farm I went on a few years back, I shot pigeons on the Peas right up to when the Pea viners came on to lift them , this was about mid week and I left it till Saturday to shoot on the stubble , pulling up to the field on the Saturday I couldn't believe what I was seeing , the corner of the field was acting as a car park and the stubble field had at least 30 lanes going across divided by Red and White tape , each lane had a metal detector with his ear phones on and a little shovel in his hand , unbeknown to me this was a organised event and I bet they paid a lot more money than I did , in fact if they had gave the farmer two bottles of drink then that would have been one more than I gave him :lol: