African self drive safari

RoBeRt1990

6 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I have been there several times, just be careful when there is a “diversion” this was on one of my adventures!

Take the word bridge with a pinch of salt! 😳🤣

40EDA2B5-7F4B-46AA-A876-05EF33CBE916.jpeg

F1853279-C90F-4ECA-866F-E679CCAB1DF4.jpeg

Still looks in better condition than some of the roads round here 😄

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have a few times. What rifle are you taking?

A Canon but of the photographic variety, it's more a trip for my wife for our wedding anniversary as she's always wanted to go

I've been to Tsavo east and west and Shimba hills game reserves the local guide know there way to the watering holes and they are all InTouch with other guides on the radio so if a problem rises or there is a lion kill they get InTouch with each other they are worth there weight in gold 

My grandparents and family are in South Africa and so I’ve been to Kruger and Pilansberg etc many times self driven and walking safaris. They have gravel roads so very different to the Masai Mara and Botswana etc which are off roading. I have never taken my rifle before but that is my ambition. 

5 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I've been to Tsavo east and west and Shimba hills game reserves the local guide know there way to the watering holes and they are all InTouch with other guides on the radio so if a problem rises or there is a lion kill they get InTouch with each other they are worth there weight in gold 

With respect, those are “tourist safaris”.  Where umpteen vehicles converge on the bored lions lying under the tree. 
I think the OP was looking to drive himself long distance overland? 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

With respect, those are “tourist safaris”.  Where umpteen vehicles converge on the bored lions lying under the tree. 
I think the OP was looking to drive himself long distance overland? 

I was hoping to cover Namibia, Botswana and Zambia in a loop and end back in Namibia over the course of 8 or so weeks 

13 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I’d be scared of driving into the wrong town.  I worked with a guy from Gahana.  He had machete cuts on his back because a rival family had killed his.  

Went overland on one trip through the forests boardering East Congo, was stopped a dozen times by armed militias.I had rented a people carrier for a week in Kigali and thought the 500 dollars charge was a bit steep, for Africa. When I returned I questioned the charge and the guy said it was the price to replace the vehicle, because he thought that where we were planning to travel he didn’t expect to see the vehicle again! I didn’t get a refund!

I’ve had friends who have had their vehicle chopped by machetes

17 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Went overland on one trip through the forests boardering East Congo, was stopped a dozen times by armed militias.I had rented a people carrier for a week in Kigali and thought the 500 dollars charge was a bit steep, for Africa. When I returned I questioned the charge and the guy said it was the price to replace the vehicle, because he thought that where we were planning to travel he didn’t expect to see the vehicle again! I didn’t get a refund!

I’ve had friends who have had their vehicle chopped by machetes

Yeah no doubt.  It’s worth the cost of a guide just to tell your where not to go. I’m assuming African is like South American where one wrong turn will get you killed.   I have no plans to ever go below Mexico gain.  

32 minutes ago, ditchman said:

bad idea.............pay yer money and go with a proper safari company.........you might be OK in south africa...but central africa  ....no

spent 17 years in central africa..

I've been looking at a few companies that offer vehicle rental and route planning so that may be a safer bet 👍

7 minutes ago, RoBeRt1990 said:

I've been looking at a few companies that offer vehicle rental and route planning so that may be a safer bet 👍

that sounds a bit more planned and safer..........

dont forget when you are over there on a totally self drive safari.....you are at total mercy of the locals...and you dont know the system.........there are protocols to go thro accessing areas where the animals are...........and you need professional knowledge of where the animals are.....they are at different places during the season...they are at different places during the day........it is a mine field if you are on a d.i.y. job.. you will come to grief very easily....

south africa is very different kettle of fish.....but even there you cannot afford to be stupid................most of central africa is still controlled by local chiefs....and they may live in large mud huts (tookaals)....but they command a lot of respect.....i was lucky enough to know what was called an R.C.......he is a Regional commisioner....like a cross between a Britsh M.P. and a cabinate minister.....and he gave me a letter of introduction covering his area about half the size of east anglia...of which there were about 20 chiefs...and beneath them Headmen.........effectivly i could go anywhere i wanted ....do what i wanted....BUT first i had to visit the local chief out of curtesy...and treat him with the respect he commands.....and if you did that and negociated a reasonable finanacial settlement with him..........he would move heaven and earth to help you.

the proper africian....(not one that is spoilt by western values)......is brave ...loyal....very very polite....trustworthy.....and become very very good friends...

do it properly....and you will come back with beautiful memories that will last a lifetime......because if you let it africa will get under your skin:good: