Home draft beer

the hitman

Well after 28 years of marriage Mrs H has finally bought me a decent birthday present- a Phillips perfectdraft beer pump. It will no doubt be hidden away until the day comes- but this will give me time to decide which beer kegs to get. The kegs can be bought online from Beerhawk - just wondering if anyone else has one and which beers do you recommend for the pump ?

cheers

Hitman 

Hi mate. I’ve got a PD, Blade and Pinter. 

PD - depending on what you like. In rank order. 

IPA - Crew Republic - Drunken sailor (currently out of stock), Goose IPA, Jaipur. 

lager - Jupilar, Spatin, Stella. All the lagers are good.

blonde - La Trappe, Leffe Blonde  

as a starter pack (in stock) go with - goose, jupilar and la Trappe  

next week 2 (limited edition) Oktoberfest beers are being released which are both OUTSTANDING  Lowenbrau and Spatin  

Lots of online groups with offers / discounts.  Watch for beershark, as they have good deals, but a limited range.

Many local permier and costcutter stores also see them (limited ranges) as Beerhawk prices.  Any other questions, just ask.

You can drink cheaper, but all beers come direct from the country / factory.  Eg Stella, isn’t the weak taxed stuff brewed under license in the UK, it’s the real ‘wife beater’ deal.

Edited by markm

2 hours ago, markm said:

Hi mate. I’ve got a PD, Blade and Pinter. 

PD - depending on what you like. In rank order. 

IPA - Crew Republic - Drunken sailor (currently out of stock), Goose IPA, Jaipur. 

lager - Jupilar, Spatin, Stella. All the lagers are good.

blonde - La Trappe, Leffe Blonde  

as a starter pack (in stock) go with - goose, jupilar and la Trappe  

next week 2 (limited edition) Oktoberfest beers are being released which are both OUTSTANDING  Lowenbrau and Spatin  

Lots of online groups with offers / discounts.  Watch for beershark, as they have good deals, but a limited range.

Many local permier and costcutter stores also see them (limited ranges) as Beerhawk prices.  Any other questions, just ask.

You can drink cheaper, but all beers come direct from the country / factory.  Eg Stella, isn’t the weak taxed stuff brewed under license in the UK, it’s the real ‘wife beater’ deal.

Hi Mark

Some good recommendations there - thank you.

I have my eye on the Goose IPA, Lowenbrau and the Leffe blonde for my first order.

Not many dark beers to choose from however I will survive.

Here what I am getting- 

2A9AA24F-B63C-49B1-84C8-F37C3E6133D3.png

37 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Hi Mark

Some good recommendations there - thank you.

I have my eye on the Goose IPA, Lowenbrau and the Leffe blonde for my first order.

Not many dark beers to choose from however I will survive.

Here what I am getting- 

2A9AA24F-B63C-49B1-84C8-F37C3E6133D3.png

Le Trappe is 100x better than leffe. And I like it. Leffe is my next keg in. 

Good first choice, but swap the leffe, you won’t regret it. 

Edited by markm

18 minutes ago, markm said:

Le Trappe is 100x better than leffe. And I like it. Leffe is my next keg in. 

Good first choice, but swap the leffe, you won’t regret it. 

Cheers 

I will go for your recommendation.

Quite a few out of stock- but I have set an alert for the Lowenbrau Octoberfest .

Keep the suggestions coming as I am quite a creature of habit and will reorder the same one - pity they don’t go an old speckled hen type beer.

24 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Cheers 

I will go for your recommendation.

Quite a few out of stock- but I have set an alert for the Lowenbrau Octoberfest .

Keep the suggestions coming as I am quite a creature of habit and will reorder the same one - pity they don’t go an old speckled hen type beer.

I used to be a lager lout…. But the the PD got me into IPA.  I alway grab the Oktoberfest kegs for Xmas.  

There has been a few beers on limited release this year, all were great and more will come along.

Unfortunately, after a few months of having these machines, you’ll begrudge going out, as it kicks the *** out of pub draft and when you’re paying £5+ a pint you’ll think ***. 

Edited by markm

24 minutes ago, markm said:

I used to be a lager lout…. But the the PD got me into IPA.  I alway grab the Oktoberfest kegs for Xmas.  

There has been a few beers on limited release this year, all were great and more will come along.

Unfortunately, after a few months of having these machines, you’ll begrudge going out, as it kicks the *** out of pub draft and when you’re paying £5+ a pint you’ll think ***. 

Some seriously strong beers +6% so not really session beers.

Yes I think the Mrs has ordered the pump to keep me in.

I do like an IPA - in fact I have just returned from a holiday in Largs where I found a bar that sold a very nice Brewdog Punk IPA.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, the hitman said:

Well managed to get the pump going- first on is a keg of Tiny Rebel Cali IPA - and it’s a lovely drink.

Quite fruity but not overpowering- lots of grapefruit and mango- very much like Brewdog Punk IPA.

As recommended by markm I have just ordered a keg of Lowenbrau Octoberfest.

I went wild and have 6 Oktoberfest kegs…… in a pub, you’d be lucky to get cali for less than £6 a pint. 

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Out of curiosity, how do these pumps work? Do they chill it? How much for a keg? What space is required? 

They are basically a mini fridge that cocoons around the keg and keeps it at 3 degrees. The blade goes to 2 degrees. 

The beers are in a bag and are squeezed out by adding air into a chamber, creating a false atmosphere. The beer never comes into contact with air which means it’s guaranteed for 30 days. it does last longer, apparently…….

The beers are different as they are keg fresh.  And they taste significantly better than from a pub and a million times better than can or bottle. 

cost - around 1/3 more than cans or bottles. 

space - around the size of a bucket, but cuboid. The blade is much bigger. 

Edited by markm

Got mine from Costco £219- it’s a Phillips perfect draft machine. The kegs come from beerhawk website.

Lots of beers that are not familiar to me , so I get advice from experts like markm and read reviews.

Couple of pictures for you to gauge the size- it’s a half pint glass in the photograph.

I am a novice but the 30 day freshness is great as I only have a couple of pints at a time. Also you can pour as much or as little into your glass as you wish.E6AF63F9-B2D9-4462-99AD-AB302E333F0E.png.a84161376fa0490399855b94f898dc55.png

5C9E726A-A6FF-4A36-85B1-F3655D7D250A.png