Goose numbers

Salmo

ahhh heck what do i know.........all i saw was the stubbles covered in geese yesterday.......i usually see them on the sugarbeet fields after harvesting...late october or on uncultivated stubbles..............so i presumed they were pink feet 

but as usual i might be wrong

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

ahhh heck what do i know.........all i saw was the stubbles covered in geese yesterday.......i usually see them on the sugarbeet fields after harvesting...late october or on uncultivated stubbles..............so i presumed they were pink feet 

but as usual i might be wrong

You most likely saw the increasing numbers of Greylag geese that are now going on the grain stubbles , these are mainly made up of first broods with the parents, but there are a lot of late , or possibly second broods to make it a bit confusing when you see a large number of Grey geese that are different sizes .

Orkney is absolutely rife with them this year, and that's just the resident population-this is with egg oiling and constant culls as well. Local lad I spoke to shot 75 one morning last week. This was under special licence in case anyone is wondering.

On 29/08/2021 at 11:37, Bigbob said:

Not seen a lot heading to Loch Leven yet , But there was a few residents in the fields all summer with goslings 

We have 2 stubbles covered in geese down by the loch 

5 hours ago, yanto said:

Orkney is absolutely rife with them this year, and that's just the resident population-this is with egg oiling and constant culls as well. Local lad I spoke to shot 75 one morning last week. This was under special licence in case anyone is wondering.

I was up there shooting last September the greys were the spookiest I’ve seen 

54 minutes ago, Salmo said:

We have 2 stubbles covered in geese down by the loch 

I was up there shooting last September the greys were the spookiest I’ve seen 

Spooky in what way?? Wait do they fly about with bed sheets over them with eye holes cut out 👻🤣

Google's telling me in the  past 2 years the pink started arriving around the 10 September, this year, apart from the emptiness of the estuary I note note no pink were seen or heard so far.

might be the hot weather and dry season delaying the migration?

This full moon and the October one should be critical 

Svalbard is a big area i know, but looking at this forecast it seems the weather over there might not be prompting the migration quite as early as is typical. And the next fortnight weather looks similar, just have to see if this moon brings any movement. but might be a bit late this season.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/norway/longyearbyen/ext

5 hours ago, B B said:

Svalbard is a big area i know, but looking at this forecast it seems the weather over there might not be prompting the migration quite as early as is typical. And the next fortnight weather looks similar, just have to see if this moon brings any movement. but might be a bit late this season.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/norway/longyearbyen/ext

Very strange weather we are having at the moment , on the coast today it was 23% and 20 miles inland it was 26% , you wouldn't think we are now entering the fourth week of the new wildfowling season , I am now down the marsh most mornings at the time when you would expect to hear the odd shot and it is like the season haven't even started , same with the nights , I went down tonight for a walk with the dog and it was like a Summers evening , nice and warm and not a breath of breeze and to top it all the weather girl was saying this September is on course for the warmest one on record .