Jump to content

Squirrels


harrycatcat1
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

See if you can pick up an IBC frame or maybe the complete unit  .   The inner plastic makes a perfect weather proof roof and you can easily put legs on them to make head clearance.

Then either camo netting or stack natural materials as above. I have three or four tucked in places on farms I shoot over. Easily moved as well. 

 

002.jpg

That looks just the ticket 👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one does have a floor in it made of pallet wood  but simply cutting 3/4 inch slots for about 10 inches so the 3x3 timber will slot over the IBC frame then a couple of wood screws across to pinch it together and you have head room. Cut the floor out of the plastic container obviously.    Just let your imagination run riot.    I have one where it is open to view from a public footpath so I covered it with scrub and timber so as the one above it looks like a pile of wood.   I'm sure it is great fun walking around hunting squirrels but I am convinced the best way to cull numbers is with a fixed feeder and a static hide OR you have to get full cammed up and have a tripod for your rifle so it is already on target and needs no serious movement. That is how I am culling on the golf course at the moment.   18yrd shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That one does have a floor in it made of pallet wood  but simply cutting 3/4 inch slots for about 10 inches so the 3x3 timber will slot over the IBC frame then a couple of wood screws across to pinch it together and you have head room. Cut the floor out of the plastic container obviously.    Just let your imagination run riot.    I have one where it is open to view from a public footpath so I covered it with scrub and timber so as the one above it looks like a pile of wood.   I'm sure it is great fun walking around hunting squirrels but I am convinced the best way to cull numbers is with a fixed feeder and a static hide OR you have to get full cammed up and have a tripod for your rifle so it is already on target and needs no serious movement. That is how I am culling on the golf course at the moment.   18yrd shot.

I hope to put some thought into it on site in the morning,  thanks for everyone's help 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hardest part is finding where you want to sit, and where your going to shoot, just make sure your not looking at the sunrise from the new hide position and think about wind direction 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Hardest part is finding where you want to sit, and where your going to shoot, just make sure your not looking at the sunrise from the new hide position and think about wind direction 👍

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 never entered my head about sunrise as it was raining and overcast this morning. Thanks 👍 New position required 🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 never entered my head about sunrise as it was raining and overcast this morning. Thanks 👍 New position required 🤣🤣

Ha ha, I've changed positions a few times because the rising sun just made things awkward,  same with a cold wind on the edge of a wood.

One spot I shoot now I'm facing roughly east,east,south but the hill blocks the sun for all but a few minutes in the morning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Ha ha, I've changed positions a few times because the rising sun just made things awkward,  same with a cold wind on the edge of a wood.

One spot I shoot now I'm facing roughly east,east,south but the hill blocks the sun for all but a few minutes in the morning. 

I really should have thought about it as I am walking up the track to the feeders looking left into the trees when the sun is up it blinds you.  I will give it another coat of looking over tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.  I would have been peed off if I'd put a lot of work into it. At the moment it's just a bit of embarrassment 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in the process of making myself a single man pop up blind which will allow me to quickly set up at any angle as needed or if I can't put a permanent blind in..golf course...then this saves getting clad in full camo which tends to draw attention again at the golf club.   I have some very thin but flexible rod sections which I hope will act as the camo supports. I have an old folding chair and I have the camo netting.  I will take some photos tomorrow  of the construction.  In circumstances where permanent hides are not on then these one man pop ups are brilliant. I could have purchased one ...£70 ....but being mean as muck I thought I ould make my own for nowt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fortunate that I have my own small 10 acre wood and a one acre orchard so I have built four permenent blinds from timber and they are so good for a) shooting tree rats and other vermin b) each of them has a feed table and live catch cage and the songbirds can come in and enjoy.

Many folk did not like the square fore end of the AA S200 Mk2 but I love it because it sits happily waiting on the tables I have put in the cabins.  It proved itself this afternoon with two definite and in all proability a thrid tree rat. The third was very restless and was about to depart the scene but stopped for a couple of seconds and I popped one a mid ships. It managed to get into cover and I could not find it so no count.

006.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by Walker570
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another dismal weather day, cold wind a menace even on the woodland edge. Sitting by 06 50 the first on came bowing in to the feeder? A fat old sow. 15 minutes later one walked a fence top in a bramble patch to a small beech, stopping for breakfast, couldn't find it so over to the night shift to clean up. 30 minutes later one came from my right on the ground within 6 feet of me, roamed past  and went under the pheasant feeder 2 yards to my left. Sitting down to nibble the corn it let me move the rifle from the sticks aim free hand and pop it with the muzzle within 3 feet of its ear, a sow finished with lactation.? Number 4 played the kitt antics up and down the feeder tree for 20 minutes until it finally stopped on the ground. 

Not that much interest in the feeder but an ok morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I'm fortunate that I have my own small 10 acre wood and a one acre orchard so I have built four permenent blinds from timber and they are so good for a) shooting tree rats and other vermin b) each of them has a feed table and live catch cage and the songbirds can come in and enjoy.

Many folk did not like the square fore end of the AA S200 Mk2 but I love it because it sits happily waiting on the tables I have put in the cabins.  It proved itself this afternoon with two definite and in all proability a thrid tree rat. The third was very restless and was about to depart the scene but stopped for a couple of seconds and I popped one a mid ships. It managed to get into cover and I could not find it so no count.

006.jpg

004.jpg

Gosh that looks a very good set up 👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I am in the process of making myself a single man pop up blind which will allow me to quickly set up at any angle as needed or if I can't put a permanent blind in..golf course...then this saves getting clad in full camo which tends to draw attention again at the golf club.   I have some very thin but flexible rod sections which I hope will act as the camo supports. I have an old folding chair and I have the camo netting.  I will take some photos tomorrow  of the construction.  In circumstances where permanent hides are not on then these one man pop ups are brilliant. I could have purchased one ...£70 ....but being mean as muck I thought I ould make my own for nowt.

What would be the down sides to this?

If the link works.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304092253377?hash=item46cd4f8cc1:g:LUsAAOSwhuJhCkce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

They can be fun putting them away,  might be a bit tight on space,  but it should keep you dry and out of sight, plenty of folk use them.

 

11 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

What would be the down sides to this?

If the link works.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304092253377?hash=item46cd4f8cc1:g:LUsAAOSwhuJhCkce

Too much kit to lug into a wood first thing in the morning. Also if there is the slightest puff of wind they get blown over. IMHO it it far better to find a suitable bush to sit under or build a simple shelter. A small 6x4 tarp over a branch in front of a flip top feed is all you need. A small piece of camouflage netting to sit behind is perfect. You can then be in position and ready to go in less than a couple of minutes, with minimal disturbance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shall have to have a think about this hide business as I checked 4 feeders this morning and none of them have been "hammered" yet, I think there is still lots of food in the pine cones in the wood I am in for the time being.

The cheeky beggars throw the remnants of the cone down the tree whilst I am at the bottom. You can't see them but you know they are there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

What would be the down sides to this?

If the link works.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304092253377?hash=item46cd4f8cc1:g:LUsAAOSwhuJhCkce

I have a similar one from Bushwear and yes it is a great hide but I only use it where I am going to be all day. It is large when up . I have to carry another chair/stool and it is a serious pain to get bag in the bag.  The one man chair pop ups look the bizz and I may end up buying one but being that way inclined I like to have a crack at making my own.  Too busy today killing things to take photos of progress on the home made seat hide but watch this space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a similar one from Bushwear and yes it is a great hide but I only use it where I am going to be all day. It is large when up . I have to carry another chair/stool and it is a serious pain to get bag in the bag.  The one man chair pop ups look the bizz and I may end up buying one but being that way inclined I like to have a crack at making my own.  Too busy today killing things to take photos of progress on the home made seat hide but watch this space.

I was thinking that it would be portable as it's not my wood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

 

Too much kit to lug into a wood first thing in the morning. Also if there is the slightest puff of wind they get blown over. IMHO it it far better to find a suitable bush to sit under or build a simple shelter. A small 6x4 tarp over a branch in front of a flip top feed is all you need. A small piece of camouflage netting to sit behind is perfect. You can then be in position and ready to go in less than a couple of minutes, with minimal disturbance. 

I agree here.  That is why the single man pop up seat blind would fit the bill. Those Tee Pee type are too much trouble. They don't blow away if you use the pegs and cords though.   As I said previously. If you are capable of sitting still, then make yourself a cam suit and a tripod for the rifle that and a seat to sit on and your ready.   It is just that much nicer to sneek in as the light comes up into a ready made hide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I shall have to have a think about this hide business as I checked 4 feeders this morning and none of them have been "hammered" yet, I think there is still lots of food in the pine cones in the wood I am in for the time being.

The cheeky beggars throw the remnants of the cone down the tree whilst I am at the bottom. You can't see them but you know they are there.

 

It's just that time of year when things can go quiet, lots of natural food around so the squirrels have lots of choice.

How far apart are your feeders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

It's just that time of year when things can go quiet, lots of natural food around so the squirrels have lots of choice.

How far apart are your feeders?

At a guess I would say 200 yds the top "feeding station" consists of 2 feeders close and a trap that I have tried to tempt them in with peanuts. 

The other two are roughly 200 yds away in different directions. 

 

20210831_080825.jpg.4f65cf7e01c14e98086e9460ba85efb8.jpg

 

20210831_081045.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I agree here.  That is why the single man pop up seat blind would fit the bill. Those Tee Pee type are too much trouble. They don't blow away if you use the pegs and cords though.   As I said previously. If you are capable of sitting still, then make yourself a cam suit and a tripod for the rifle that and a seat to sit on and your ready.   It is just that much nicer to sneek in as the light comes up into a ready made hide.

I have had a Bushwear single man chair hide for years. Very good bit of kit. Not too heavy. Walk into position, remove from bag, pull the camping chair arms apart to erect the seat and fold the hide over like a hood. Sit down and zip the front to required height. I use a short bipod stick as a rifle rest. The hide is waterproof and your weight stops it blowing away. Mesh windows each side with magnetic blinds. Works for deer and foxes, must work on squirrels. Mega comfy. And it is easy to put back in it’s bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...