Luck Played A KEY Part In Yesterday Proceedings

marsh man

Yesterday morning my picker up friend rang me up to see if I had found anywhere where he could shoot a few pigeons , I had found several places where a few were using but no great numbers .

I told him about two side by side fields of fresh wheat stubble that still had the large bails on , another advantage was that one of them border a Bean field that is only days away from being cut and he should get some shooting but not a big bag , that will do me a treat John was his reply and then he said are you going anywhere ? , I was going on another wheat stubble field about a mile away that again had only recently been cut but as he was going from late morning I told him to give me a ring if it was slow then he could come with me , or if he saw a lot then I would set up on the next field to him .

Anyhow just as I was leaving mine at 12.30 he rang me up to say there were a lot of pigeons about but they were hard to decoy and although he have had a several shots he only had three pigeons , so I told him I would be out in about 20 minutes and I will set up the other field , getting out there I soon had a good spread of decoys and a floater on each end , he was right they were hard to decoy but there were enough about to keep us happy , I had shot about a dozen when he rang up to see what time I was going to pack up as he will pack up the same time as me , as I find 3 / 4 hours is now enough I said we will pack up about 4 o clock , from three o clock what little sport we had been getting had nearly dried up and we were just getting the odd shot , to pass the time I was listening to the Norwich and Leicester game that started at 3pm , when it was half time I sleeved my gun and started to pack up , when I had cleared away my hide I then walked down the hedge to get my motor , I then saw Rob walking about so I knew he was packing up as well , or so I thought , when I had stowed everything in the motor I drove across the stubble to see Rob as I thought he was looking for a Pigeon , but no he was looking for his car keys that he had lost somewhere on the stubble field , just as I stared to look along the rows of stubble his dad drove across the field with spare set so he could get home , after another 20 mins his dad left us and we were both ready to go home ourselves as we were going to come back today to have another look when Rob shouted in a great sigh of relief that he had found them . so all ended well and luck did play a KEY part if you know what I mean , and oh , nearly forgot we got nearly 30 pigeons .:drinks:

Very good account of your afternoon MM along with a reasonable bag. Thanks for sharing.

I am always obsessed about losing my car keys when out in the field along with my phone. Being in the middle of nowhere without either is not a scenario I wish to encounter. Fortunately I have mislaid neither when out........... so far. 

The only thing that I have lost in the middle of a field many many years ago was my virginity, but never returned to look for it :yahoo:

OB

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have never understood why people do not take more care of their car keys. 

My eldest Son found a lost set several years ago on a game shoot, the owner was eternally grateful, as was his daughter who had dropped them.

I know we shouldn't but we do tend to take our car keys for granted , only recently I had one that fell to bits when I put it in the ignition , I am sure the damage was done by keeping it in my pocket with the loose change and the mobile ect. , this wasn't as costly as first thought , all I wanted was a new plastic fob that I could put the old key shaft in and the chip in the holder , Timpsons wanted £45.00 to cut a blank and put my old chip in , far to dear for me so the bay came to my help and I got what I wanted for around £3.50 post free , it was a bit fiddly fitting my old chip in but now it is like a brand new key , touch wood I have lost several bits and pieces over the years but never my car keys , mislaid them yes , but after a time they have turned up.:good:

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Nice report and a good bag, as for car keys I put mine in the cartridge bag as soon as I return to the hide, never lost em yet!

Most of the shooting I have done lately have been in sight of my motor and I have left my car key on the drivers seat , might not be advised in other places but we are on a private estate and we often go now without seeing a single soul .