An school gun project

NoBodyImportant

Friend of mine let this go cheap.  Up until the liberal take over many high schools had shop class.  One of the projects you could pick was building a flintlock from a kit.  This is one of the school kits.  It’s kinda rough, 45cal, but should be a fun winter project.  I pulled it out an out a hour ago to give it a look over. 

B001B757-3677-46F3-9053-942B9C2B4A14.jpeg

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

very nice i use to have a hawkens .50 cal reproduction 

The fun thing is I have about $100 in it so if I totally mess it up I’m not out anything.  I want to try some old school bluing I believe this kit was made by Traditions. If I remember correctly I could have chosen a pistol or the rifle.  I didn’t build one in school as back in the 90s the kit was $200 and my parents couldn’t afford it.  I went to the wood working class as it did  not have a class fee.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀Brilliant! The word ‘gun’ induces bedwetting on a nationwide scale in the UK, outside the shooting fraternity. It would spell the end of a career for any minister or education body whom even mentioned making one as a school project. 

Yeah it’s the same over here.  Children get suspended for pointing their finger like a gun.  I remember in the 90s it was common to see hunting rifles in the windows of trucks in the school parking lot and I had a teacher that would show us how to sharpen our pocket knives.  Our school had a 22lr shooting range in the basement but it was long shut down before my time.  They used it as storage as our school did not have a shooting team.  

29 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Surely the barrel should be browned?

Yeah it would have been.  

On 30/08/2021 at 10:53, Scully said:

😀Brilliant! The word ‘gun’ induces bedwetting on a nationwide scale in the UK, outside the shooting fraternity. It would spell the end of a career for any minister or education body whom even mentioned making one as a school project. 

I remember physics class in the '70s, teacher asked does anyone have an air rifle? 
Yep?  Bring it in and we'll do an experiment to demonstrate conservation of momentum.

A former colleague told me one of his classmates went to apprentice as a gamekeeper (a decade or so earlier) and was invited back to the school to give a talk and bring all his kit with him - including his shotgun.

Think either scenario might prompt a visit by a swat team these days.