Reloading press

Evening all 

my reloading Press is just about worn out it’s one of the aluminium framed Lee Single stage Press i’ve had it for quite a few years and it’s served me well, so it’s time for a new Press i’ve had a look online and there are loads of presses it’s a bit of a minefield,  I think I’m going to stay with a single stage press Any advice And recommendations would be appreciated

regards sf1

I loaded for thirty years from 1976 to about 2006 on an RCBS Rockchucker. Everything from .380 ACP through 9mm Parabellum via .38 Special, 44 Magnum and .45 ACP to .45 Colt in pistol calibres to .303 British on it. It is only when I finally only needed to reload .270 WCF and .30/06 that I decided it wouldn't do. The "window" on the then as made Rockchicker was just not quite tall enough of loading the heavier and longer weight bullets in those calibres with my big hands. But if I was simply loading cartrdiges of .243 and .308 Winchester length I'd have kept it. It never let me down. Nowadays since 2006 I use a Australian Simplex Master which has a taller "window" and suits .270 WCF and 30/06 better for my hands. But I do miss the sureness of that Rockchucker and the later ones form RCBS were cast with, indeed, a taller window.

Edited by enfieldspares

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

What is worn? My linkage broke but I was able to reverse it which kept us (two of us use it) going for a while, but then I replaced the linkage for a steel version - suspect it was a known weakness - and it's good to go for another 30 odd years.  

The press has an aluminium frame it’s worn around the RAM, all the linkage is made of steel and has not been a problem it’s only the main frame of the press that’s aluminium

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Since 1992 I have loaded thousands of rounds of .308, .22Hornet, .222. 7x57, and .375 H&H on a Lee single stage press. I can detect no wear anywhere .

I suspect yours might be the cast steel one,  I think my Press was a cheap get you started press i’ve had it for quite a few years But it has quite a lot of play around the Ram. 

Edited by silver fox 1

I reckon that it's difficult to go wrong with either an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme or Redding Big Boss II.  I have the former, my brother the latter.  My only niggle with the Rockchucker is that the primers occasionally miss the primer catcher when de-capping but it is easily sorted by packing the catcher out a bit with Blu Tack or Plasticine.  I believe 3 D printed replacements are also available on e-Bay from an enterprising sort.

Tim

10 hours ago, Touchstone said:

I reckon that it's difficult to go wrong with either an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme or Redding Big Boss II.  I have the former, my brother the latter.  My only niggle with the Rockchucker is that the primers occasionally miss the primer catcher when de-capping but it is easily sorted by packing the catcher out a bit with Blu Tack or Plasticine.  I believe 3 D printed replacements are also available on e-Bay from an enterprising sort.

Tim

RCBS presses seem to be popular and probably for good reason i’ve watched some really good reviews

8 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I use an RCBS Summit press as I like ‘quirky’ 🙂

If I purchased again, then the Forster coax would be on my list. 

I quite like the Forster coax but are they worth the extra dollar

1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

RCBS presses seem to be popular and probably for good reason i’ve watched some really good reviews

I quite like the Forster coax but are they worth the extra dollar

From what I have seen of them, yes and no.

They have a nice ‘throw’ and I do like the quick die change and more importantly, the self centre ability. 

The ‘No’ part is the price and once you have Forster, it’s like Pringles in that you can’t stop so they say. 

• 2 weeks later...