Sept 1st

fandango

Another first morning have came and gone , a very small part of me couldn't resist going down the marsh a bit earlier than I would normally take my dog and nowadays instead of taking a gun I am now armed with a stick and a pair of Binoculars .

I must admit that by the time I got down there ( just before 6am ) most of the early shooting would have been over but even so the odd shot could still be heard and someone over the other side of the estuary must have had a problem with his gun as every time he pulled the trigger three shots rang out , he was either a very poor shot , or he was dropping three birds every time he pulled the trigger , why they have to have three shots every time they pull the trigger is beyond me and truthfully speaking their is no need for it .

Time I walked the mile or so to the river and turned around to make my way back the shooting had more or less came to a close and my mind started to go back to the peak years in the 80s and 90s when most of the landowners grew grain crops , it then wasn't a case of weather we would get a duck it was a case of how many we would get , me and a good friend of mine who have long passed away had two big blocks of marshes that only us two shot and I can well remember the year when we had 100s of Mallard going on the laid barley that was to wet to get off , we both got our self imposed limit of ten and stopped shooting , that was a very good year , then some farmers started to grow rape and the big numbers of duck were now going on the heavy fed flight ponds that were cropping up everywhere and the big numbers that came to our marshes started to lessen , now moving on to the present time , on our side of the estuary there isn't a single marsh with crops on and the marshes are over four miles long , the only things you see now in the 100s are Horses and cattle , far more Horses than cattle , these are left on till November and very little shooting is done till the livestock come off .

Hopefully the ones that were out this morning had a very good start , if so tell us all about it please and I hope it will continue . :good:  MM

Lovely post MM I didn’t bother going out here I N Ireland the weather at the minute very warm received couple text messages from Fowler’s couple mallard 🦆 dropped but not much about I should be out Saturday morning weather depending hopefully it’s a bit cooler But come winter when the migrants arrive that’s hopefully when the shooting picks up 

I went out this morning; nothing was shot but that doesn’t matter.
Being on the river first thing, seeing it all wake up, hearing & seeing geese again (even if they were 400yds away whilst ignoring any of my attempts at calling) was well worth the 2am alarm call. 

2 hours ago, Bumble said:

I went out this morning; nothing was shot but that doesn’t matter.
Being on the river first thing, seeing it all wake up, hearing & seeing geese again (even if they were 400yds away whilst ignoring any of my attempts at calling) was well worth the 2am alarm call. 

Yes just getting out when the rest of country  is in bed wither on the lough foreshore etc just magical But like most Fowler’s season the worse the weather the better the buzz of getting out 

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

Another first morning have came and gone , a very small part of me couldn't resist going down the marsh a bit earlier than I would normally take my dog and nowadays instead of taking a gun I am now armed with a stick and a pair of Binoculars .

I must admit that by the time I got down there ( just before 6am ) most of the early shooting would have been over but even so the odd shot could still be heard and someone over the other side of the estuary must have had a problem with his gun as every time he pulled the trigger three shots rang out , he was either a very poor shot , or he was dropping three birds every time he pulled the trigger , why they have to have three shots every time they pull the trigger is beyond me and truthfully speaking their is no need for it .

Time I walked the mile or so to the river and turned around to make my way back the shooting had more or less came to a close and my mind started to go back to the peak years in the 80s and 90s when most of the landowners grew grain crops , it then wasn't a case of weather we would get a duck it was a case of how many we would get , me and a good friend of mine who have long passed away had two big blocks of marshes that only us two shot and I can well remember the year when we had 100s of Mallard going on the laid barley that was to wet to get off , we both got our self imposed limit of ten and stopped shooting , that was a very good year , then some farmers started to grow rape and the big numbers of duck were now going on the heavy fed flight ponds that were cropping up everywhere and the big numbers that came to our marshes started to lessen , now moving on to the present time , on our side of the estuary there isn't a single marsh with crops on and the marshes are over four miles long , the only things you see now in the 100s are Horses and cattle , far more Horses than cattle , these are left on till November and very little shooting is done till the livestock come off .

Hopefully the ones that were out this morning had a very good start , if so tell us all about it please and I hope it will continue . :good:  MM

Did it sound thornham way by any chance ?.I only got informed yesterday that we still can’t go due to a certain farmer appealing a decision which you probably have heard about

1 hour ago, Tibs28 said:

Did it sound thornham way by any chance ?.I only got informed yesterday that we still can’t go due to a certain farmer appealing a decision which you probably have heard about

No I am sorry it wasn't anywhere around your way , down the coast a fair bit around the Yarmouth area . hope the decision whatever it is go your way.

All the best      MM

I was up and on the go at half 3 this morning. Local farmer asked if I would have a go at the resident geese that was destroying the rape so all set up by half 4 then sit back and watch the world come to life with the faithful hound, delighted to be out again doing what she loves. The geese came in but they were a bit wary as I didn't have a lot of cover. Having said that I bagged 6 then packed up and headed home for some breakfast.

Screenshot_20210901-230134_Instagram.jpg.a4d251342abda6737727de89c09e3e94.jpg

20 hours ago, aister said:

I was up and on the go at half 3 this morning. Local farmer asked if I would have a go at the resident geese that was destroying the rape so all set up by half 4 then sit back and watch the world come to life with the faithful hound, delighted to be out again doing what she loves. The geese came in but they were a bit wary as I didn't have a lot of cover. Having said that I bagged 6 then packed up and headed home for some breakfast.

Screenshot_20210901-230134_Instagram.jpg.a4d251342abda6737727de89c09e3e94.jpg

Is your old mate still on the go with the big double 4b f t baker ?

On 02/09/2021 at 09:09, TIDES EDGE said:

Marsh Man  I am with you on why do people have to fire 3 shots every time it happens all the time on our marshes and the birds are out of shot most of the time on the first shot .

I hear it a lot later on in the season , alright , when a skein of geese come over going against the wind then you have got time for three shots , same if you were decoying geese , but I have spent many 100s of nights flighting on the marshes and most of the duck that come in to a flash of water will only warrant , one shot , a few doubles and only the odd occasion when you would have a chance to fire three shots , I am not saying everyone who have got a semi auto, but I often hear three shots go off as fast as you can pull the trigger from the beginning of the flight to when it is really to dark to see . we are sepperated by a fleet dyke that run through the middle of the marshes so I never see anybody on that side of the marsh but it would be nice to know what they have got in the bag when the flight is over :hmm:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I hear it a lot later on in the season , alright , when a skein of geese come over going against the wind then you have got time for three shots , same if you were decoying geese , but I have spent many 100s of nights flighting on the marshes and most of the duck that come in to a flash of water will only warrant , one shot , a few doubles and only the odd occasion when you would have a chance to fire three shots , I am not saying everyone who have got a semi auto, but I often hear three shots go off as fast as you can pull the trigger from the beginning of the flight to when it is really to dark to see . we are sepperated by a fleet dyke that run through the middle of the marshes so I never see anybody on that side of the marsh but it would be nice to know what they have got in the bag when the flight is over . 

Hope you are keeping well John and good Luck during the season.

Unfortunately the " three shot salute " is a ever growing trend personally witnessed most mornings when the Pinks are in.

IMHO just " pray and spray " with very deep pockets shooters most definitely are not Wildfowlers 

Edited by 6.5x55SE

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Hope you are keeping well John and good Luck during the season.

Unfortunately the " three shot salute " is a ever growing trend personally witnessed most mornings when the Pinks are in.

IMHO just " pray and spray " with very deep pockets shooters most definitely are not Wildfowlers 

Evening Brad ..... Yes the good lord wanted us to see another season in these strange and troubled times so we haven't done to much wrong , or if we have he or she haven't heard about it , with the Q E Hospital at Kings Lynn now stopping all visitors as the corvid numbers are going up we might be wondering how this season will pan out , still we are still shooting fowl and for how much longer is any ones guess 

I remember walking along Lowertoft seafront on the New Years Eve before the millennium and was thinking how long will wildfowling carry on for and 21 years later we are still putting a few duck and geese in the bag , so we will carry on enjoying it while our bodies are up to it .

All the best to you are your grand son for what lies ahead over the next few months .

3 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Fantastic photo 👍 what model of s/s is that dog looks fantastic as well 

The side x side in the photo could well be the Tolley 8 bore , when Tolley and Lewis are mentioned when talking about guns you always associate them both with wildfowling , great reliable guns .  GOOD LUCK 

5 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Fantastic photo 👍 what model of s/s is that dog looks fantastic as well 

It's a Tolley hammerless with 4 1/4" chambers. I dont have any other info or photos at the moment but I could get some if you want. It's a beautiful gun. One more photos from the same morning. 

Screenshot_20210903-231726_Messenger.jpg.865d9cc8ff7772a245a54e28cf524d95.jpg

On 03/09/2021 at 23:20, aister said:

It's a Tolley hammerless with 4 1/4" chambers. I dont have any other info or photos at the moment but I could get some if you want. It's a beautiful gun. One more photos from the same morning. 

Screenshot_20210903-231726_Messenger.jpg.865d9cc8ff7772a245a54e28cf524d95.jpg

Another great photo I’ve never fired a 8 bore looks like a proper Wildfowling gun Fantastic 👍👍