BSA Ultra gauge fitting

welshwarrior

A friend has asked me to help him fit an air gauge to his BSA Ultra (original MMC type).

Has anyone done this and got any advice?

Im very happy working on powder burning guns as I fully understand the pressure etc. however air cylinders are fairly new to me and 230 bar is enough to hurt someone so drilling it concerning with out a proven plan.

So PW massive air gun crew what the view. 

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

A friend has asked me to help him fit an air gauge to his BSA Ultra (original MMC type).

Has anyone done this and got any advice?

Im very happy working on powder burning guns as I fully understand the pressure etc. however air cylinders are fairly new to me and 230 bar is enough to hurt someone so drilling it concerning with out a proven plan.

So PW massive air gun crew what the view. 

BSA Pressure Gauge Fitting XTX - YouTube (I can't embed; youtube won't let me, weirdly!)

Here you go. This is on that very gun. It looks straightforward enough, but make sure you empty the cylinder fully first!

Darrin at XTX did great work before closing down and going back to being an electrician; he knows his stuff.

22 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

BSA Pressure Gauge Fitting XTX - YouTube (I can't embed; youtube won't let me, weirdly!)

Here you go. This is on that very gun. It looks straightforward enough, but make sure you empty the cylinder fully first!

Darrin at XTX did great work before closing down and going back to being an electrician; he knows his stuff.

Thank you looks simple I’d imagined drilling the cylinder and fitting the gauge in the forend. 

17 hours ago, Rockhamster said:

Must be easier just to count the shots? After all, with an Ultra, that's not a big number to remember. 😗

It depends what it's being used for. If plinking or target shooting then perhaps. But if hunting and you only shoot a handful of shots a session, then even with an Ultra you could have three or four outings without needing to fill up. No point filling up if you know you don't need to.

1 hour ago, Dasher said:

Simple solution surely is to count out the number of pellets in your gun's usable shot count and put them in a separate empty pellet tin and re charge your gun when you've used up whats in the tin.

This is what I've been doing for years  seems to work just fine so far  .

4 hours ago, Dasher said:

Simple solution surely is to count out the number of pellets in your gun's usable shot count and put them in a separate empty pellet tin and re charge your gun when you've used up whats in the tin.

Is that really easier than looking at the end of a cylinder? It might cost less, but it's not easier!