Cost of protests

Blackpowder

Just heard a discussion on Radio 4 that it costs £20 million a day to police protests by  extinction rebellion and some of the lunatic animal rights groups.   The expert broke it down to £60 and hour for rank and file  with off duty officers called in and the need for a complete command structure in place.  This is not counting the disruption to the life and work of law abiding citizens intent on minding their own business and earning a living.

Blackpowder

7 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

To state the obvious, if it were just the £60 per rank and file officer, that's 333,333 of them per day - seems like an inflated figure to me.

What ever the cost, its a needless drain on police and society, I believe its some form of mental illness not to have rational thoughts 

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

Just heard a discussion on Radio 4 that it costs £20 million a day to police protests by  extinction rebellion and some of the lunatic animal rights groups.   The expert broke it down to £60 and hour for rank and file  with off duty officers called in and the need for a complete command structure in place.  This is not counting the disruption to the life and work of law abiding citizens intent on minding their own business and earning a living.

Blackpowder

Not forgetting the cost of cleaning up the spray paint etc and damage that the scumbags leave behind.

11 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not forgetting the cost of cleaning up the spray paint etc and damage that the scumbags leave behind.

Watching on TV the protesters having their say one lady was wareing a badge (I am a Doctor) this should speak volumes as to the mental state of the protesters, Harold Shipman was a doctor, what the hell does being a Doctor have to do with anything if your out of order 

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Blackpowder

One of the costs of democracy? There are others such as MP's expenses?

26 minutes ago, old man said:

We don't need anything like that, just open fairly applied law and justice for all?

We also need actavists like ER to push at the conscience for change. Remember the Chartists or Suffragets, all employed tactics that at the time were considered an abomination by some. Now we look back and see them as champions of their time and erect statues in their honour. 

We know we all have to change but we won't go willingly.

‘Protesting’ in itself should be welcomed the problem arises when it prevents people from carrying out their normal lives or causes damage to people or property.

An area should be allocated for these permissible protests well away from industry and populated areas.

Any others should be clamped down on strongly.

Free speech and protesting is not free from cost but the cost could and should be minimised in the light of the current fashion.

Statues are here today and gone tomorrow.

We were protesting in London on Saturday against the Veterans being taken to court in Northern Ireland, Aparantly XR who were a few streets away complained because were were to loud .
I spoke to 5 officers while in Parliment square, i asked them which they prefered to man XR or the Veterans, we got a big thumbs up from all the officers.

On 01/09/2021 at 09:21, Blackpowder said:

Blackpowder

£60 an hour!!! What force is this? I'm joining. I don't get £60 an hour even on double time after nearly 20 years and promotion. Come to think of it, no one does in this job. The pay is national. Its a lot less than 60 an hour, less than 20 for the "rank and file". Mostly the leave is cancelled in advance so you don't get any extra pay at all, just a day off you can't use as the staffing  is "below minimum" whenever you try. 

Makes me wonder about that figure, also if he asked nicely the force releases its spending on such things and he can get an accurate number. It won't be at the 60 quid an hour fantasy rate.