Off to a start

captainhastings

Been watching the stubble for a few weeks sussing out movements etc. Was on the pigeons the other morning and the geese came in so we downed tools so as not to spook them.
Loads on the fields last night as well so we were all set for this morning. Me and me mate couldn't wait and we were both on site 5.30 getting setup. Used a popup hide and gave it a coating of straw and was looking good. Few socks out in front. 7 came and nothing 7.30 and 8 went still nothing not a honk to be heard. Next thing all hell broke lose and they all came gliding over with the skies thick with birds. All just up out of range and circling us. When ever they looked like dropping in range they would veer off the last minute. Came to the conclusion they could basically see us. In hind site we should have just got in the hedge. After a while they all ******** off and we were left pondering where it had gone wrong.
Shortly after a small bunch of about 30 came in and landed about 3 fields away. So we formed a cunning plan. My mate lay on his back in the stubble in the centre of a field and I basically went for a long walk and got around the other side of them. Off they went heading over towards my mate out of site. Next thing boom boom and when I got there he had a big smile holding our prize so it was a good ending and a nice start to the season :)

20 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Been watching the stubble for a few weeks sussing out movements etc. Was on the pigeons the other morning and the geese came in so we downed tools so as not to spook them.
Loads on the fields last night as well so we were all set for this morning. Me and me mate couldn't wait and we were both on site 5.30 getting setup. Used a popup hide and gave it a coating of straw and was looking good. Few socks out in front. 7 came and nothing 7.30 and 8 went still nothing not a honk to be heard. Next thing all hell broke lose and they all came gliding over with the skies thick with birds. All just up out of range and circling us. When ever they looked like dropping in range they would veer off the last minute. Came to the conclusion they could basically see us. In hind site we should have just got in the hedge. After a while they all ******** off and we were left pondering where it had gone wrong.
Shortly after a small bunch of about 30 came in and landed about 3 fields away. So we formed a cunning plan. My mate lay on his back in the stubble in the centre of a field and I basically went for a long walk and got around the other side of them. Off they went heading over towards my mate out of site. Next thing boom boom and when I got there he had a big smile holding our prize so it was a good ending and a nice start to the season

Nice one , you haven't done to much harm and they should be back within a day or two , try and pick a windy day so they approach  you at a lower height or try to intercept them along a hedge , you can also try putting your decoys well behind you instead of in front , you can then get a shot when they start lowering their paddles as they are approaching your decoys , if you have got Chris Green early wildfowling dvd you will find he put his decoys in the middle of the field and cover himself up with a straw blanket , when he shot all he wanted to shoot he then tried to catch one as it was landing , the nearest he got was only a few feet away and they were even landing as he was sitting in full view , as they say , there is more than one way to skin a cat :lol:  GOOD LUCK. 

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Nice one , you haven't done to much harm and they should be back within a day or two , try and pick a windy day so they approach  you at a lower height or try to intercept them along a hedge , you can also try putting your decoys well behind you instead of in front , you can then get a shot when they start lowering their paddles as they are approaching your decoys , if you have got Chris Green early wildfowling dvd you will find he put his decoys in the middle of the field and cover himself up with a straw blanket , when he shot all he wanted to shoot he then tried to catch one as it was landing , the nearest he got was only a few feet away and they were even landing as he was sitting in full view , as they say , there is more than one way to skin a cat :lol:  GOOD LUCK. 

Thank you 

The straw blanket is some thing we have considered but some times need to call so of course would need to move the arms. Would you happen to know the title of that dvd  out of interest ?