Jump to content

Diesel Air lock


Centrepin
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

I recently bought a 2008 Peugeot 407 SW SE Hdi 2.O diesel to put me on just 3 months.

I allowed the fuel to get into the red before refueling, something I don't normally do with diesels.

I had to prime the pump despite it not being out of fuel.

If I use the car every day its fine.

If I use it occasionally which is more the normal for me, once or twice a week max, it requires a couple of pumps on a small rubber ball attached to the fuel pump before it will start.

The pump and rubber primer ball is easily accessible at the front of the transverse engine, takes just a couple of squeezes and it fires and runs. Runs fine then if turned off or used next day.

As I generally only use it to visit my perm apart from a mucky hand its no problem.

I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on this car as its going at the end of October. 

Any ideas? Anybody come across this problem? Easy fix?

Tank is currently full and that's how I keep it.

Selling soon, so want it right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say its pulling air into the fuel system rather then a airlock perhaps check the small squeeze pump if it's starting to perish, injecter vacuum pipes , rubber fuel lines to the fuel filter, the filter & the fuel filter housing perhaps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stephen-H said:

I would say its pulling air into the fuel system rather then a airlock perhaps check the small squeeze pump if it's starting to perish, injecter vacuum pipes , rubber fuel lines to the fuel filter, the filter & the fuel filter housing perhaps. 

this ...............:good:....

more than likley the primer bulb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the primer pump the rubber bulb type that you squeeze and let go ect ? Is it soft and playable or hard to squeeze . If it hard I'd say by experience ( more than a few times) that's your trouble as the rubber hardens it becomes porous it doesn't leak fuel but does allow the fuel to drain back over night

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Is the primer pump the rubber bulb type that you squeeze and let go ect ? Is it soft and playable or hard to squeeze . If it hard I'd say by experience ( more than a few times) that's your trouble as the rubber hardens it becomes porous it doesn't leak fuel but does allow the fuel to drain back over night

 

Thanks for all the replies, I'll take the ball off and have a proper look. 

It's always soft when it doesn't start, becomes hard in two or three pumps then fires up immediately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll take the ball off and have a proper look. 

It's always soft when it doesn't start, becomes hard in two or three pumps then fires up immediately. 

Definitely sounds like you've got a bad seal somewhere that's allowing drain back check the leak off pipes between the injectors ( if it's got them) they are prone to going hard and cracking allowing air in over time 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2021 at 07:36, Centrepin said:

 

I recently bought a 2008 Peugeot 407 SW SE Hdi 2.O diesel to put me on just 3 months.

I allowed the fuel to get into the red before refueling, something I don't normally do with diesels.

I had to prime the pump despite it not being out of fuel.

If I use the car every day its fine.

If I use it occasionally which is more the normal for me, once or twice a week max, it requires a couple of pumps on a small rubber ball attached to the fuel pump before it will start.

The pump and rubber primer ball is easily accessible at the front of the transverse engine, takes just a couple of squeezes and it fires and runs. Runs fine then if turned off or used next day.

As I generally only use it to visit my perm apart from a mucky hand its no problem.

I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on this car as its going at the end of October. 

Any ideas? Anybody come across this problem? Easy fix?

Tank is currently full and that's how I keep it.

Selling soon, so want it right.

Can't help you out with your fuel problem but I had the 307 Hdi turbo diesel and without a shadow of doubt it was the worst motor I had the misfortune to have , spent more on repairs than some of the motors I had bought in the past , when the turbo went on the way back home that ended up costing nearly £600 it had to go , I replaced it with a Vauxhall estate and that motor was one of the best work horse I had .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on some vehicles the return pipe is shorter in the tank so parked on an incline when stood for a day or two can allow the fuel to syphon back when in the red  sounds like your problem          if it was every morning i would check seals   keep it above 1/4 tank if problem persisted   check everything on the flow and return  also fuel cap seal  fuel filter o rings 

check simple the things first it will be cheaper

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Unfortunately I've been poorly in bed since the original post.  Today is first day I've not had to take extra meds on waking just to go back to bed again.

Not even got round to thinking about it yet, it's just sat outside waiting.

Hope that you feel better soon 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...