Browning Warranty - second hand buyers beware

stevewall968

I recently bought a 3 month old 525 XS Pro from a private seller. It has developed a small issue in that the cross pin in the fore-end works loose every time the gun is used. I contacted the UK importers BWM and was informed that the 10 year warranty on the action only covered the original purchaser and whilst they were prepared to look at and carry out the repair works, this would not be covered by the Browning warranty and I would have to foot the bill. When I protested that this was clearly a manufacturing defect I was rather abruptly told to like it or lump it. Unlike Beretta, whose warranty is transferable to subsequent owners, the Browning one is not. So Ladies and Gents you have been warned, if you are considering buying a second hand Browning from a private seller, even an almost new one, it can go wrong and if it does BWM/Browning won’t want to know😱😱

Steve

3 hours ago, stevewall968 said:

I recently bought a 3 month old 525 XS Pro from a private seller. It has developed a small issue in that the cross pin in the fore-end works loose every time the gun is used. I contacted the UK importers BWM and was informed that the 10 year warranty on the action only covered the original purchaser and whilst they were prepared to look at and carry out the repair works, this would not be covered by the Browning warranty and I would have to foot the bill. When I protested that this was clearly a manufacturing defect I was rather abruptly told to like it or lump it. Unlike Beretta, whose warranty is transferable to subsequent owners, the Browning one is not. So Ladies and Gents you have been warned, if you are considering buying a second hand Browning from a private seller, even an almost new one, it can go wrong and if it does BWM/Browning won’t want to know😱😱

Steve

Just get the original purchaser to take it back to the shop. Doesn't mention in the warranty anything about ownership. 

57 minutes ago, mellors said:

Just get the original purchaser to take it back to the shop. Doesn't mention in the warranty anything about ownership. 

Unfortunately the original purchaser is 70 miles away from me. I would agree that the warranty doesn’t actually say anything about it being limited to the original purchaser. That makes no difference to BWM, they just don’t want to know. 

PS anyone got any suggestions for a fix for a slipping metal taper pin. Tried loctite but that didn’t work.

PPS I really like shooting the gun, just frustrated that it’s falling apart

Steve

Edited by stevewall968

8 minutes ago, stevewall968 said:

Unfortunately the original purchaser is 70 miles away from me. I would agree that the warranty doesn’t actually say anything about it being limited to the original purchaser. That makes no difference to BWM, they just don’t want to know. 

PS anyone got any suggestions for a fix for a slipping metal taper pin. Tried loctite but that didn’t work.

Presumably the wrong size or profile of taper pin is fitted.

Get it fixed as you bought the gun and it is now your problem, not the previous owner or BWM.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Presumably the wrong size or profile of taper pin is fitted.

Get it fixed as you bought the gun and it is now your problem, not the previous owner or BWM.

Never suggested it was the previous owners problem just pointed out where he was living. The pin definitely looks like the correct size and was clearly supplied by Browning as part of the new gun 3 months ago. So in my view it’s heir moral duty to supply a new one. The fact that they are refusing to do so means that I will get it sorted at my expense. The purpose of my original post was to highlight the fact that a 10 year Browning warranty isn’t at all what it seems.

Steve

20 minutes ago, stevewall968 said:

In my view it’s their moral duty to supply a new one. The fact that they are refusing to do so means that I will get it sorted at my expense. The purpose of my original post was to highlight the fact that a 10 year Browning warranty isn’t at all what it seems.

So it would seem, I wonder if anyone has challenged BWM legally?

2 hours ago, stevewall968 said:

PPS I really like shooting the gun, just frustrated that it’s falling apart

Steve

Try john nibs they do spares. Will be a cheaper fix to do it yourself. 

Screenshot_20210902-173624.png

30 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

I had the same isssue with a 525 purchased second hand that had very little use 400 cartridges, pin would move out about  1 - 1 1/2 mm after 200 shots, i used to tap it back in , after i would say 2000 catridges it stayed put and hasnt moved since.

Thanks mpmillo it’s heartening to hear that this is a problem others have experienced even more so that it might well resolve itself after a bit more use. Like you I have used a punch and tapped it back in after every outing. I’ll wait for a few more weeks before taking further action👍👍

Steve

I had the same problem on a 725, took it to local gunsmith, he fixed it free of charge in about 10 mins while i waited, think he just heated it up and squeezed it a bit, not saying you will get this level of service but its likely to be a cheap one off fix, mine has not moved a jot in the 5 years since done and that after a lot of rounds.

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

I’d be contacting Browning direct not the importers , and telling them of your experience with their product and how woefully you were treated by their importer , can only be worth a try , 

Trouble is, are we talking Browning USA, or Belgium or even Miroku in Japan? That’s the trouble with trying to deal with a major multi national Company. I’ve tried their official UK customer service arm and been given short shrift.

1 hour ago, Charliedog said:

I had the same problem on a 725, took it to local gunsmith, he fixed it free of charge in about 10 mins while i waited, think he just heated it up and squeezed it a bit, not saying you will get this level of service but its likely to be a cheap one off fix, mine has not moved a jot in the 5 years since done and that after a lot of rounds.

I think I’ll give that a try. 👍

11 hours ago, TRINITY said:

If you could definitely prove the gun was only three months old I would have thought you would be covered by the sale of goods act. Contrary to what browning say all goods sold in this country must be fit for purpose. However any lawyers out there may no more about this

I quoted the sale of goods act at the BWM chap and he was very dismissive and implied that I was welcome to try as I wasn’t the original purchaser and their in house policy overrode this. 

1 hour ago, stevewall968 said:

Trouble is, are we talking Browning USA, or Belgium or even Miroku in Japan? That’s the trouble with trying to deal with a major multi national Company. I’ve tried their official UK customer service arm and been given short shrift.

Browning USA, go straight to the source.

It's got to be worth an email, you have nothing to lose.