Electric vehicle charging

Townie

1 hour ago, oowee said:

The average vehicle distance traveled in a day is just 24 miles. EV will easily cover the majority or journeys full stop. For longer journeys we can have induction or battery swap. For heavy application we will need greater energy density than batteries and that is likley where hydrogen will come in.

Ultimately we will no doubt reduce the need for travel. 

The average might be just 24 miles due to all the school or shop runs of 2 miles or less in and around town for which an EV would be fine.

For the rest of us, 15 to 60 miles each way is the norm at best, currently mine is technically 220 each way.

Induction won't work due to cost and power supply requirements and charging,  battery swap won't work due to insurance and every models battery is different.

Green Hydrogen requires 40% more electric to produce than electric alone, whilst blue hydrogen, might as well use LPG.

In order to reduce travel you would have to do one of three things or perhaps all of them, 1) impoverish the working and middle class, 2) reduce population and 3) completely reorganise central planning to rebuild cities and towns to eliminate the need to travel as much as possible.

Currently powers that be (inc eco terrorists) are going down No1 and Covid jabs might well be no2.......

5 hours ago, Stonepark said:

In order to reduce travel you would have to do one of three things or perhaps all of them, 1) impoverish the working and middle class, 2) reduce population and 3) completely reorganise central planning to rebuild cities and towns to eliminate the need to travel as much as 

^^^ THIS. Add in virtual reality and more online. 

Battery swap is already happening. Ev's are not for everyone but as costs go up exponentially for carbon the swap gets easier, on line becomes the norm, and moving to cities more desirable. 

It's coming slowly but surely. Have you seen the remote unmanned delivery bots on use in Milton Keynes. 

travel outside any city  / live in a block of flats / or terraced houses     good luck with charging      rural areas struggle for petrol / diesel  filling stations   more  so than 20years ago    now houses       Kawasaki city and surrounding area inc agriculture and hgv s  have been running on hydrogen for years made from plastic waste etc    a search will show       however anyone can make the brown gas   hence no taxes  or    HHO GENERATOR 13 PLATES CW-45, FUEL SAVER COMPLETE CAR KIT, CC PWM, CARBON CLEAN | eBay been around for years        but buy electric from one source financially raped comes to mind   we have petrol / diesel /lpg  we have choices       one supplier  bend over 

you even have to pay for a certificate to change the tyre on an electric car     and only god can help you when body work is involved      dew to a ticket to work on said cars  inc moving them through a workshop     soon ins companies will cane you on ins for electric as workshop costs will rocket dew to certificates and training costs to work on said vehicles         as of now huge fines if change a tyre without a certificate 

you could also buy and maintain an older diesel vehicle and run on cooking oil    they dont like it up em captain manwearing 😁

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

travel outside any city  / live in a block of flats / or terraced houses     good luck with charging      rural areas struggle for petrol / diesel  filling stations   more  so than 20years ago    now houses       Kawasaki city and surrounding area inc agriculture and hgv s  have been running on hydrogen for years made from plastic waste etc    a search will show       however anyone can make the brown gas   hence no taxes  or    HHO GENERATOR 13 PLATES CW-45, FUEL SAVER COMPLETE CAR KIT, CC PWM, CARBON CLEAN | eBay been around for years        but buy electric from one source financially raped comes to mind   we have petrol / diesel /lpg  we have choices       one supplier  bend over 

you even have to pay for a certificate to change the tyre on an electric car     and only god can help you when body work is involved      dew to a ticket to work on said cars  inc moving them through a workshop     soon ins companies will cane you on ins for electric as workshop costs will rocket dew to certificates and training costs to work on said vehicles         as of now huge fines if change a tyre without a certificate 

you could also buy and maintain an older diesel vehicle and run on cooking oil    they dont like it up em captain manwearing 😁

Good post!

Especially the last paragraph.

22 hours ago, Saltings said:

good post but anyone with pacemaker or insulin pump cannot use or work on one it is the same with airport scanner got told this on MOT training 2 yrs ago

2 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

You’re missing out, silent shooting with a lamp from an electric car is great fun! And very lazy!

Thats a great idea 😊

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Well, I won’t be doing online shooting and stalking, so I’m sticking with diesel.

I think your deliberately missing the point. There will always be those at the margins that the mainstream model wont fit. I wont be selling my lux anytime soon either. 

On 03/09/2021 at 23:14, oowee said:

Battery swap is already happening.

I've only seen poor Implementation that take about 15mins and you have to let someone drive your car through a service bay.  That's not to say it can't be done of course, but with range improving all the time, I honestly think this is a horrendously complex solution people think they want to problem they don't realistically have.

On 03/09/2021 at 17:29, Stonepark said:

1) impoverish the working and middle class

There is a frighteningly large majority of people who self-identify as 'liberals' who appear to think that travel should not be for those in certain socio-economic groups.  Conveniently, always those groups just below them.

And whilst I can understand the temptation - I've been on Ryanair flights to Spain - taxing and opressing people into worse lifestyles, historically hasn't done well, or been a vote winner.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I've only seen poor Implementation that take about 15mins and you have to let someone drive your car through a service bay.  That's not to say it can't be done of course, but with range improving all the time, I honestly think this is a horrendously complex solution people think they want to problem they don't realistically have.

There is a frighteningly large majority of people who self-identify as 'liberals' who appear to think that travel should not be for those in certain socio-economic groups.  Conveniently, always those groups just below them.

And whilst I can understand the temptation - I've been on Ryanair flights to Spain - taxing and opressing people into worse lifestyles, historically hasn't done well, or been a vote winner.

I have seen battery swap systems for busses in China but not for other vehicles and this was 10 years ago now. 

I dont doubt such changes would not be a vote winner but the economics of the current personal transport options look unsustainable when you factor in climate impact. If the true cost has to be met then it's unlikely to be so affordable as now. Cruise liners that burn 250 tons of fuel a day, a flight to Edingburgh from London cheaper than driving or taking the train, simply don't add up. 

If we are to meet the climate change agenda we will have to make radical change in the way that we use resources. I doubt a capitalist, democracy has the ability to meet these changes. 

59 minutes ago, oowee said:

I doubt a capitalist, democracy has the ability to meet these changes. 

Well I don't fancy living in the alternative.  This so-called democracy has been thrashed to within an inch of its life under a conservative government, with labour screaming faster and harder.

6 hours ago, oowee said:

I have seen battery swap systems for busses in China but not for other vehicles and this was 10 years ago now. 

There is an episode of 'Fully Charged' on Youtube where they show a fully functioning system in use in China, for cars.  Apparently taking paying punters.  But as stated, it takes about 10 minutes, and you have to vacate your vehicle whilst an attendent drives it into the service bay and an automated handling rig replaces the battery.

I would try to search for it; but frankly I find that programme very light on technical detail and heavy on hype to the point of evangelising.

Either way, I'm not convinced it has legs given range growing and rapid charging for the longer journeys.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Cruise liners that burn 250 tons of fuel a day

Carrying how many passengers?  Anyone actually translated that into g/passenger and looked at how that compares to the total carbon emissions of a 2 week package holiday, flights and transfers?  Cruise ships will steam at optimum speed to minimise fuel burn, surely.

I have about as much desire to go on a cruise as I do to have my wisdom teeth out, but surely this obsession with tail-pipe emissions (funnel emissions I suppose) is just lazy thinking?

1 hour ago, oowee said:

a flight to Edingburgh from London cheaper than driving or taking the train, simply don't add up. 

But why must the solution to that be taxing the flight more?  There is such a thing as carrot as well as stick.

Currently the 'Railjet' rail sleeper service operated by the Austrian federal railways is providing, by all accounts, a good service at a fair price, and is a good alternative to flying, in that you arrive in the city in the morning, showered and ready for the day.  Not as quick as flying, but you save yourself a nights accommodation.   In the UK, the so-called privatised rail operator needed a £30m bung just to upgrade the sleeper cars on the Caledonian Sleeper.  And the launch was the usual, we-can't-even-fry-you an egg for breakfast disaster.

And that's if you agree that aviation is indeed a problem.  Between 2 and 4% of global emissions is caused by aviation.  To my mind, aviation plays such an important role in commerce as well as human happiness - i.e. the ability to travel - that we should seek other, better things first.  Let's start with telling Germany to do something about its bloody coal fired power stations, they make up 4 of 10 of Europe's largest emitters after all.  At a stroke we could cut make a real difference, rather than taxing us all into poverty.

On 02/09/2021 at 13:35, Centrepin said:

I ordered a Toyota RAV4 4x4 hybrid. Delivery in October. It's self charging and only uses the 2.5 petrol engine if you're above 40mph or towing.

Maybe.........this is the way forward?

My pal has one ( he got an Outlander PHEV from a Shogun and traded it in as thought it was less than poor ) and so far happy enough although he never goes offroad nor tows anything 

I can't help but wonder what will happen a few years down the road when 80 or 90% of the cars are electric and we've killed off all the fossil fuel powered generation and we get a day like yesterday. For those who missed it there was little or no wind anywhere in the country, hence the wind turbines generating what the eco warriors etc. claim to be endless free energy, were unable to produce any electricity at all. Luckily we still have some coal and gas powered generation capability which was started up to save the day, albeit at a cost of over £20 million to the National Grid in startup and balancing costs.

Edited by Westward

On 10/09/2021 at 15:47, Newbie to this said:

What asinine nonsense, exactly why I don't bother with broadcast television anymore.  Fire chief starts explaining how they deal with the fires, gets immediately cut off.  How are we any the wiser?

Anyway, the clue at least was in the report, EV manufacturers do produce training material on how to deal with fires, and more importantly crash extractions.  Any fulltime firefighter who hasn't, by now, at least glanced at such a thing on his phone is IMHO not doing their job.

On 09/09/2021 at 10:45, ditchman said:

webber twin DCO 40's....Turbo-chargers and dump valves.....twin cam's...injected .............will be the new words of profanity in years to come

Had that conversation with my son-in-law today. We went on a super car driving day and we were reflecting that when he is my age, it'll be electric cars rather than the 300 - 500 bhp beasts we drove. They'll never recreate the petrol engine noise.