Bottle openers - An apology

Old Boggy

Some may remember that I sold (and gifted) some of my hand made bottle openers over the last few months. This is a bit of an apology to those who received one of the smaller types as in the first photo, particularly those who bought one. Having retained just one for myself, I have noticed that it has changed from the original bright finish to that of a dull grey. This I now realise is due to the fact that they were made, not from chromed metal, but from polished cast aluminium and over time, oxidise to the grey finish. They can if need be, with a bit of elbow grease, metal polish and a little buffing, be returned to the original bright finish, but in their dull state still remain functional even if looking a little jaded.

In contrast, I ordered a small batch of larger metal bits as in the second photo but being bigger (and cheaper), required larger pieces of antler for the handle which were less easy to source. However, these are clearly heavily chromed on steel and retain their finish. I placed my small order and it was not until I received confirmation, that I found out that they were coming from China. Something that I would not normally order and try if possible to buy British, but realise of course that many products are made in China and it`s almost impossible to buy stuff not made there these days. Anyway, with the confirmation were tracking details of my order which I imagined would take some time to get to the UK from China.

From the date of my order it took just 2 days to get from China to Heathrow (approx 6700 miles) and 2 1/2 weeks to get from Heathrow to my house (110 miles):hmm:.

OB

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

As above , mine is in pride of place in the cabinet along with one or two other niff knacks that I have collected over the years , drinks seem to be a common theme as beside the bottle opener is a little silver chap who is shooting that fit inside the top of a bottle , and behind that is a hip flask with a shooting scene , all are in mint condition as it have been several years since I touched a drop :drinks:

P S .. By the way , did you sell any Chris, as all the ones above were kind gifts :yes:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Afternoon Chris, absolutely no need to apologise.

As stated above it was taken as a lovely gesture, an extremely useful gift.

Very pleased to be the owner of one of your bottle openers and a Ditchman Opinel.

PW is a cracking place.

Thanks for your kind words Dave.

As you know, I too am a very lucky recipient of a Ditchman Opinel knife which is cherished and in use often. It is perfect for breasting out pigeon and was put to good use only this morning on the few pigeons I shot yesterday.

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

As above , mine is in pride of place in the cabinet along with one or two other niff knacks that I have collected over the years , drinks seem to be a common theme as beside the bottle opener is a little silver chap who is shooting that fit inside the top of a bottle , and behind that is a hip flask with a shooting scene , all are in mint condition as it have been several years since I touched a drop :drinks:

P S .. By the way , did you sell any Chris, as all the ones above were kind gifts 

Hi John,

I did sell a few, but if I’m honest got more pleasure in gifting them.

1 hour ago, Stour-boy said:

Hi Chris, I will go with everyone else on this subject 👍the best bottle opener I have owned can I put an order in for 4 please of the first type if available.

Steve.

P.S. purchase only.

no freebies thank you.

s..

The next 4 that I make are yours Steve.

Went out this morning to pick some bullace at the back of the farm shop and they are about 3 weeks from being ready, so perhaps a deal on some damsons from over your way can be struck for the bottle openers.:whistling: 

Well I'm not happy with mine at all , it's had a full workout today , and everyone has drunk my entire stash of woodland beer 😢.

I can only echo everyone else Chris,  they're a very attractive and thoughtful gift , and each unique opener is a mini work of art mate , Thankyou very much for the one that you sent to me 👍

• 1 month later...

I don’t have one ( hint hint 😉), but I think the patina reminds me of the pewter Tankards my father used to have when we were kids. 

PS. Don’t listen to TC. I am worthy, I even got my ‘helping others’ badge at Cubs back in 77!!!!!!!

Edited by Jaymo
Because TC made me :-)

Just now, Jaymo said:

Stop hurting my feelings or I will tell my Mum.

I’ve even had to edit my post because of you …..

And now you know why I often quote people who might just edit their posts!  :w00t:

Have a lovely day, just getting ready to head off to Sywell for a 100 ESP Reg competition and then lunch.  :cool1:

13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I don’t have one ( hint hint 😉), but I think the patina reminds me of the pewter Tankards my father used to have when we were kids. 

PS. Don’t listen to TC. I am worthy, I even got my ‘helping others’ badge at Cubs back in 77!!!!!!!

How I got one Jaymo I really can't work it out , I never got a helping others badge from the cubs mainly because I wasn't in the cubs and it was hard enough to look after ourselves let alone the others .

Mind you , I did buy a scouts cap from the jumble sale that they held in the village church and even at a tender age I thought this might come in handy at the bob a job week , I know one job was cleaning a car and another was collecting old newspapers for the local fish and chip shop .

Sadly I feel guilty to say very little went to the scouts as most of what we made was taken out as expenses , so to be honest they should have locked me up and threw away the key , but here we are 70 odd years later a proud owner of one of the hardest items to get on P W , a bottle opener by the renown ( Old Boggy ) , so somewhere in life I must have turned the corner that led me on the straight and narrow road , or did I ? :hmm: