Bino’s

Lloyd90

my choice would be something like this      the little flag symbol means first quality   they are good     Vintage Carl Ziess Jena Deltrintem 8x30 Binoculars. IQ Mark. Made In DDR. | eBay   or go bigger magnification   if you can get them with the little symbol buy them  if they need cleaning  / servicing  i can recommend   Binocular Repair Services For All Makes of Binoculars and Telescopes (binocular-repair.co.uk)  

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My cousin is after a pair of bino’s, he doesn’t hunt or shoot just wants them for bird watching etc. Can anyone recommend something he would get for around £100? I have told him to look second hand as he may get better glass for his money. 

A walk round his local charity shops should offer a bargain or two!  :good:

A mate just bought a fixed focus set of Helios binos. He uses them for scanning the fells for sheep when collecting. We were up there last evening, and I think they’re Fabulous little things, wouldn’t mind a pair myself. They were 80.00, but he got them mates rates. Should be around a 100 I think he said. 

Edited by Scully

I would recommend Bushnell 8x42 H2O which I think retail at under £90.

I also have a pair of Hawke Nature trek 8x42 and much prefer the Bushnells. 
However, Binos can be a personal thing so best to try before you buy would be my advice.

Regardless of that, loads of bargains to be had in charity shops.

OB

Key here is to decide what basic size/type you want and by that I mean;

1. Small/compact pair - easy to carry with you, cheaper for same 'quality level', can be excellent when light is good, but less good in poor light/twilight, and have slightly less 'field of view'.  Typically 8x20 to 10x25.  Good choice of makes/models and both new and second hand.
  2. Medium/general purpose - fair to carry but do weigh a lot more than compact, good in most light levels and even fair at lower light levels, good field of view.  Typically 8x32, 8x40/42, 10x40/42.  Wide range of choice and prices,  Good choice of makes/models and both new and second hand.
  3. Large/low light - big and heavy and expensive for better grades (big glass is harder to make accurately).  Best in low light/twilight/difficult conditions.  A pain to carry a long way and all day.  Best grades very expensive, cheap large ones tend to have some performance limitations (big lenses difficult).  Typically 8x50, 10x50, 12x50, 10x56 etc.  Limited choice and harder to find second hand

Another key point is compatibility with glasses if you/the user is a glasses wearer.  The 'eye relief' is the important parameter here and eye relief below about 15 to 18mm will make use with glasses a possible problem.

Personal choice is a compact 8x20 because I don't often need low light capability and the compactness/low weight makes it SO much easier to carry/have with you.  I made the mistake about 20 years ago of buying an expensive big set of 10x50s and rarely use them as they are so cumbersome/tedious to carry.

Edited by JohnfromUK