New Law For Pet Theft

JTaylor91

"The law will recognise the dogs as being sentient beings" it says. I am sure I have heard this to be a reason to ban shooting/ hunting of animals.

I do agree something needs to be done about the huge increase in dog thefts but I also consider it will be very difficult to apply in the massive majority of cases of theft and may also give ammo to the anti brigade and lawyers.

What will constitutes a 'pet' theft, dog, cat, hamster?

Over here Pets falls under the Castle doctrine in most states.  Meaning you can use deadly force to protect.   You can also actively presue and use deadly force to retrieve them which separates them from property.  Someone steals a TV you can’t track them across town and shoot them.  But pets you can as you can a kidnapped child.  

You can use deadly force to protect property own your on land but you can’t go to his house and kick the thieves door in.  Pets you can if you suspect they are in immediate danger. 

2 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Over here Pets falls under the Castle doctrine in most states.  Meaning you can use deadly force to protect.   You can also actively presue and use deadly force to retrieve them which separates them from property.  Someone steals a TV you can’t track them across town and shoot them.  But pets you can as you can a kidnapped child.  

You can use deadly force to protect property own your on land but you can’t go to his house and kick the thieves door in.  Pets you can if you suspect they are in immediate danger. 

Love it. Really sensible rules. We could do with some of that over here.

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Sounds good to me !!!! 

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Excellent!

17 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Total waste of time and money, looks like the powers that be are doing something but Laws are pointless if you cannot catch the guilty party.

I though that the police had raided several travelers sites and removed large numbers of dogs.

when I see these stories on the tv I always comment that it is strange that this is never mentioned in the same bulletin I would consider both stories to be fairly well linked.

6 hours ago, holloway said:

I though that the police had raided several travelers sites and removed large numbers of dogs.

when I see these stories on the tv I always comment that it is strange that this is never mentioned in the same bulletin I would consider both stories to be fairly well linked.

But will they get prosecuted? That's if they ever turn up at Court.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

But will they get prosecuted? That's if they ever turn up at Court.

Not going to hold my breath ,as far as I'm concerned if you have a travellers camp with 15 resident family's and the police find 30 stolen dogs then the whole lot are accessaries there is no way they don't all know what's going on .

But yes probably above the law.

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant news, as others have said, the police do need to catch more people but this new legislation will benefit pet owners in a number of ways. 

1 it will form a deterrent, as criminals normally take the path of least resistance, which is why they commit crime to gain money rather than get a job. With tougher sentences, they are more likely to steal an inanimate object rather than our best friends, so although it won't mean less crime, it'll mean less serious crime if you see your dog as more valuable to you than say your bike from your garden shed. 

2 I believe the police will be more likely to put more time, effort and resources into solving a crime that carries a stiffer sentence, particularly if its now likely to end in a decent bit of prison time. 

So all in all, a fantastic change, providing it results in a decent sentence.