Boat anchor

walshie

I believe this is called an "anchor nest". It has the roller at the front for the anchor chain/line and when not in use, the anchor sits on it and is held in place with a pin.

The little cheapy anchor I got with the boat doesn't fit into it. Anyone recognise it and know what sort of anchor it fits? Cheers.

20210905_125741.jpg.d0d34242afb777589edc066462fa2785.jpg

Depending on its size it would take a cqr, danforth, delta type. the holiding could be a pin or tension from a windlas. I have the same on my boat and use a delta anchor in it. I dont have a windlas so the anchour is stored in the locker and the bow roller would take the mooring strop held down by a pin to stop it rolling up the strong point. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Depending on its size it would take a cqr, danforth, delta type. the holiding could be a pin or tension from a windlas. I have the same on my boat and use a delta anchor in it. I dont have a windlas so the anchour is stored in the locker and the bow roller would take the mooring strop held down by a pin to stop it rolling up the strong point. 

Thanks. I think a danforth would suit the sea bottoms round here best. Just need to check what size fits it now. 👍

Hi - the bow fitting is a "stemhead fitting" or "stemhead bow roller". The smaller Beneteau power boats invariably ship from the factory with a Brittany anchor (flat plate with articulating arm). See:https://www.cactusnav.com/plastimo-britany-anchor-flat-p-16414.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwp_GJBhBmEiwALWBQkxWe7bf-abw3GQDCQmd29pc5A_awW0tQm5usrtm-jKjDAKqS-rikthoClyQQAvD_BwE 

Reliance Marine - General Chandlery

As you can see it's a lot like a Danforth anchor. Ordinarily, I would not expect to see an anchor permanently held in that stem head fitting. It would be more usual to have the anchor in a bow locker (if available) and then only brought out when required and deployed over the bow roller.

In your case, a 6KG or 8KG Brittany would most likely be the correct anchor from the factory. I may even have one of these kicking around somewhere - I'll take a look for you. I know you probably already know, but don't forget to have enough chain and rope attached and always have the end of the anchor rode attached to the boat at all times. Also see: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/How-To-Anchor-Securely Most people are surprised at the amount of chain and rope required to anchor safely.

Hope all this is helpful and good luck with your boating!

2 hours ago, Blackjack said:

Hi - the bow fitting is a "stemhead fitting" or "stemhead bow roller". The smaller Beneteau power boats invariably ship from the factory with a Brittany anchor (flat plate with articulating arm). See:https://www.cactusnav.com/plastimo-britany-anchor-flat-p-16414.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwp_GJBhBmEiwALWBQkxWe7bf-abw3GQDCQmd29pc5A_awW0tQm5usrtm-jKjDAKqS-rikthoClyQQAvD_BwE 

Reliance Marine - General Chandlery

As you can see it's a lot like a Danforth anchor. Ordinarily, I would not expect to see an anchor permanently held in that stem head fitting. It would be more usual to have the anchor in a bow locker (if available) and then only brought out when required and deployed over the bow roller.

In your case, a 6KG or 8KG Brittany would most likely be the correct anchor from the factory. I may even have one of these kicking around somewhere - I'll take a look for you. I know you probably already know, but don't forget to have enough chain and rope attached and always have the end of the anchor rode attached to the boat at all times. Also see: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/How-To-Anchor-Securely Most people are surprised at the amount of chain and rope required to anchor safely.

Hope all this is helpful and good luck with your boating!

Yes, that's a great help thanks. I know how much rope and chain is needed, which is why I wondered about leaving the anchor on the front of the boat as the anchor locker will be almost full with the rope so I doubt the anchor would fit in there too. It does at the monet because it;s the wrong anchor and not enough rope. 

21 hours ago, Blackjack said:

Turns out I have an 8KG Brittany anchor after all from my Beneteau Flyer WA650 (which I sold ages ago). It's yours for £25 collected from Swansea or £40 posted via Parcelforce 48 if you need it.

That's very kind of you. Much appreciated, but I think it's just a bit too big for my little boat. Thanks for taking the time to look for it though.

On 11/09/2021 at 11:46, walshie said:

Yes, that's a great help thanks. I know how much rope and chain is needed, which is why I wondered about leaving the anchor on the front of the boat as the anchor locker will be almost full with the rope so I doubt the anchor would fit in there too. It does at the monet because it;s the wrong anchor and not enough rope. 

I would forget the anchor locker and use a large round plastic dustbin in the boat to store rope first then chain & anchor.

Fix one end of the rope on a side cleat near to where the dustbin sits, feed the other end of the rope through the stemhead, then attach the chain and anchor and store all in the dustbin, chain and anchor last. 

Tie a flying lead on at least two boat lengths long with one end tied to a side cleat. when on your mark, drop the anchor over the side, allow chain and rope of required length to run out through the flying lead (use coloured nylon twine stitched through or whipped single / double / treble / quadruple around the anchor rope to show 50m / 100m / 150m / 200m). 

Recover anchor using clip on / karabiner buoy (ahead of the flying lead) then recover all rope, chain and anchor to the dustbin? 

Edited by Eyefor