Ideas

Benthejockey

Thanks to Mrs BTJ we are now currently in the position of having 3 horses for 2 stables. "It'll be fine well get some quotes for the new stables and get them built ASAP" unfortunately she's not quite grasped the current materials shortages and the fact the run in time to getting them actually built is about 20 weeks at the minute. Oh and the cost for what she wants too! Plus you know we're nearly at turkey season not lambing season so the weather is only going to get worse.

What I have got and very begrudgingly I'm thinking about is building a temporary stable inside the small barn that's on the side of the stables. I've got a concrete slab just over 11ft long and 9ft wide - probably 11ft 6 X 9ft 6. I was thinking of an 11ft gate down the long side with a 9ft gate on the front. Either half mesh gates or standard galvanised gates with ply or stock board screwed to the inside whichever worked out cheaper. The 11ft gate doesn't need to swing but obviously the front will need to. I'm just not sure how to attach a post sturdy enough to support a gate to a concrete pad without a good bit of invasive surgery! I could potentially build a small timber wall and use a smaller gate.

Just crack on and build a stable, materials shortage whilst true won’t stop it.

ive just built a 24 foot x 12ft mobile stable block and all materials were available within 5 miles from the field.

took me 4 days building mostly on my own with a little help.

longest bit was making the skids and sending them off for galv.

by the time you **** around making a temporary stable, and the cost of bits to do it, your halfway to the proper job.

15 minutes ago, Free range Rob said:

Just crack on and build a stable, materials shortage whilst true won’t stop it.

ive just built a 24 foot x 12ft mobile stable block and all materials were available within 5 miles from the field.

took me 4 days building mostly on my own with a little help.

longest bit was making the skids and sending them off for galv.

by the time you **** around making a temporary stable, and the cost of bits to do it, your halfway to the proper job.

Weve got pp for an L shaped block of 5 which is well beyond my big hammer and nails ability! The gate solution would save me using so many hurdles when I've got a shed full of lambs too. And using 2 gates I'll have a use for them again once we're sorted with the real thing.

50 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Weve got pp for an L shaped block of 5 which is well beyond my big hammer and nails ability! The gate solution would save me using so many hurdles when I've got a shed full of lambs too. And using 2 gates I'll have a use for them again once we're sorted with the real thing.

It’s a concrete base I assume ?

get that level, the rest is just timber framework, cladding and doors, roof trusses (I done a cut roof on mine with overhang along the front), board the roof out then roof sheets,.

tape measure, chopsaw, screwdriver and nail gun, it honestly isn’t as difficult as everyone has you believe. 👍
If it makes it any easier, break it down into square panels, mine are 12ft x 7ft panels.

cost wise, you won’t save a fortune over buying them, but what you will do is build a much better spec out of better materials, mine is all 4x2 and the usual bought ones are 3x2, twice as many roof rafters @6” as opposed to the normal 4”, doors and vents where they worked for me, and as mine is going to be for poultry I done built in nest boxes, feeders, water tanks etc, so a full custome build that would have cost me an arm and leg off the shelf.

Edited by Free range Rob