Rabbits and turkeys (NZ)

Houseplant

Farm hunt with my son and 22LR. Not too many rabbits around, but turkey numbers completely out of control. We took two rabbits and four turkeys. One of the rabbits became a much appreciated present for the farmer's dog. He pretty much swallowed it whole! The other rabbit and turkeys were prepared for the table. 

People-Alex25.jpg

IMG-3088-2.jpg

14 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Off topic I know but are possums on the prey list?

Definitely, but you only see them at night. I don't take much pleasure in shooting them. It's an ethical thing for me. If I'm not going to eat it, I don't want to kill it and no, I'm not eating possum, although some do! I know they're an invasive pest species, but that's just the way I think. Occasionally, farmers ask me to control numbers and I oblige. 

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

That's a big old bunny!!!

Guess it is, the boy is quite tall for his age.

40 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Definitely, but you only see them at night. I don't take much pleasure in shooting them. It's an ethical thing for me. If I'm not going to eat it, I don't want to kill it and no, I'm not eating possum, although some do! I know they're an invasive pest species, but that's just the way I think. Occasionally, farmers ask me to control numbers and I oblige. 

That's good to hear, I feared they might be the NZ badger as a bit of reading gives them as one of the main reservoirs of BTB.

I still remember loads of carrots being driven across the South Island thinking for human consumtion only to be loaded in helicopters and dropped for rabbits, tainted with poison.  Do they still have the rabbit shooting competitions?  A team of girls won the year we where there.

This system keeps chopping stuff including total attempts to put stuff on.

Edited by Walker570

......and we sometimes think we have a rabbit problem. I remember looking across a valley at a hillside I thought was bare ground when it all of a sudden moved sort of shimmered and I realised what I was looking at where rabbits almost shoulder to shoulder. That was driving across to Lake Tekapo....did I spell that correctly? .... the lake with the charming little chapel at it's head.  Fantastic country out there.