Air rifle decoying part two with my old lab.

simon6ppc

Thousands of pigeons at the intro! Once again fantastic field craft and shooting. Interesting that you are back on head shots. Part 1 you started with headshots before switching to heart shots. Both seem very effective. Thought the heart shots may have been favoured to avoid the ‘wrigglets’ you get from a CNS hit, thinking this may spook incomers if you are looking to get multiples. 

Good videos both of them .

Some fantastic  head shots. But I also prefer  the h/l shot .it represents a bigger target when you often only have a couple of seconds to take the shot after the bird lands . They also seem to induce much less back flipping and rolling by the bird when when finished is often upside down reqiring me to leave the hide .a good body shot will often stop them instantly  .

Either way excellent  work .

J Dog was right saying in the part 1 video "that is a powerful weapon"....you can see the gobbits of earth kick up, as the pellet passes thro the quarry

you go to alot of trouble doing your production..the different angles/camera's.....i will lay money you spend as much time splicing it all together and checking the continuity..as actually going out and doing it

your outings are not bird killing exersise's ...they are "day out with my mate stories"........nice to see the tractor trundling away as life goes on in our contryside and the year starts to turn again

had to laugh at the dog...when i used to pack up decoying for the day....all that was left was a brushed bare patch where my dog had been wafting its tail :lol:

love it:good:

Your dog is well catered for and rightly so , he knows he will get some retrieves when the time come and you can see when he is out his tail don't stop wagging , mine is with me day and night and we both knows each others ways , no doubt you and Jack are the same , when sport is slow I let mine pick up each one , it not only keep him on his toes it also improve his marking .

Haven't seen a below par video from you yet and I very much doubt we will as your quality control is top notch .

If you do happen to miss as a head shot haven't got a lot of room for error , do the bird or animal stay put or make a hasty retreat ?

On 06/09/2021 at 06:44, WalkedUp said:

Thousands of pigeons at the intro! Once again fantastic field craft and shooting. Interesting that you are back on head shots. Part 1 you started with headshots before switching to heart shots. Both seem very effective. Thought the heart shots may have been favoured to avoid the ‘wrigglets’ you get from a CNS hit, thinking this may spook incomers if you are looking to get multiples. 

Thanks pal ye looking back the body shots do just drop down better but as you say both are as good, i know when i shoot feral's  in mills i don't head shoot as the blood gets every where so body all the time it is.

On 06/09/2021 at 07:14, Ultrastu said:

Good videos both of them .

Some fantastic  head shots. But I also prefer  the h/l shot .it represents a bigger target when you often only have a couple of seconds to take the shot after the bird lands . They also seem to induce much less back flipping and rolling by the bird when when finished is often upside down requiring me to leave the hide .a good body shot will often stop them instantly  .

Either way excellent  work .

Thanks pal yes you are right

On 06/09/2021 at 08:14, ditchman said:

i shall have a cup of tea first ...then sit down to watch this.............

Lol cheers pal.

On 06/09/2021 at 08:23, WalkedUp said:

He’s savouring this 

lol

On 06/09/2021 at 09:34, steve_b_wales said:

Another excellent video. 

Thanks Steve.

On 06/09/2021 at 09:44, ditchman said:

J Dog was right saying in the part 1 video "that is a powerful weapon"....you can see the gobbits of earth kick up, as the pellet passes thro the quarry

you go to alot of trouble doing your production..the different angles/camera's.....i will lay money you spend as much time splicing it all together and checking the continuity..as actually going out and doing it

your outings are not bird killing exersise's ...they are "day out with my mate stories"........nice to see the tractor trundling away as life goes on in our contryside and the year starts to turn again

had to laugh at the dog...when i used to pack up decoying for the day....all that was left was a brushed bare patch where my dog had been wafting its tail 

love it:good:

Thanks a lot Ditch, ye you are right i do spend a lot of time editing and trying to make it all fit together correctly as its not easy the reason i started filming my self as i like to learn things and try to get better at it, as for the power that rifle is 52 ftlb half the power of a subsonic rimfire so it does hit well, and finally ye dogs its a love and hate relation ship when pigeon shooting Jack had it off to a T years ago and that day he hadn't been in a pigeon hide for around 4 years  but he kind of still remembered every thing lol.

On 06/09/2021 at 09:51, Good shot? said:

Jack shows he enjoys the day as much as we do watching it.

Another good video,thanks.

Thanks a lot pal.

On 06/09/2021 at 14:48, marsh man said:

Your dog is well catered for and rightly so , he knows he will get some retrieves when the time come and you can see when he is out his tail don't stop wagging , mine is with me day and night and we both knows each others ways , no doubt you and Jack are the same , when sport is slow I let mine pick up each one , it not only keep him on his toes it also improve his marking .

Haven't seen a below par video from you yet and I very much doubt we will as your quality control is top notch .

If you do happen to miss as a head shot haven't got a lot of room for error , do the bird or animal stay put or make a hasty retreat ?

Thanks a lot Marsh ye if i miss they are just gone in seconds just the very rare time i get another chance,

23 hours ago, arjimlad said:

Lovely stuff, great to see Jack enjoying the day. Great shooting as always. 

Thank you my friend.

22 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Another good one.
I bet Jack slept soundly that evening, enjoy him while you can, they are not with us long enough.

Ye i do know this  Cranefield time fly's these days its just not fair any more.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

My uncle always decoyed pigeons with a .22LR

At 52 ft lb and a 26 grain pellet that Daystate is virtually the equivalent of the old .22 short (which I believe once killed a man at half a mile...read it somewhere years ago). No wonder it flattens pigeons.

Great shooting, Simon, and superbly done films. Thank you.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

At 52 ft lb and a 26 grain pellet that Daystate is virtually the equivalent of the old .22 short (which I believe once killed a man at half a mile...read it somewhere years ago). No wonder it flattens pigeons.

Great shooting, Simon, and superbly done films. Thank you.

Ye thanks London and ye at 52 ftlb is more than enough energy for a pigeon, i could be going again this weekend but this time with a 12 ftlb Wolverine R in 177 could be interesting as this rifle will head shoot pigeons up to 40 yards and a bit more in good weather. 

On 09/09/2021 at 18:25, ditchman said:

seeing in such clarity ...those head shots are truly brutal:w00t:

Ye Ditch may be some times a bit to much but very humane.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Craig up at Horncastle had a dog called Jack, this isn't the same is it. Cracking dog, without doubt Jack made the video for me.

No pal had this boy since a pup..

18 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Another cracking video. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Excellent fieldcraft, shooting and dog work and of course putting the video all together.

Many thanks for posting.

Please keep them coming.

OB

Thanks Boggy that vid took me a full day to put together lol and it was sunny all day silly me i could have been out 😂

1 hour ago, simon6ppc said:

Ye Ditch may be some times a bit to much but very humane.

No pal had this boy since a pup..

Thanks Boggy that vid took me a full day to put together lol and it was sunny all day silly me i could have been out 😂

dont change it.............you certainly dont take any prisoners like that......you hit any part of the head and you just know its good night and goodbye

• 4 weeks later...