Diving tank

welshwarrior

I went for the electric chinese pump, it has been very good so far. Overall with adaptors and air driers it cost me around £200. Dive bottles come up cheaply on a regular basis - I have 2 x 3l x 300bar - you need to take your time filling them 10 minutes pump 15 minutes cool for the pump.  When filling I put the cylinders in a 600l metal tank I have in the garden for collecting rainwater. I prefer the 3l as easy to chuck in a rucksack and tote round if you are likely to get a lot of shots, when ratting for example.

Pumps are unreliable too.   My local air rifle shop has given up filling tanks because pumps cost a fair chunk and kept breaking down.  I have a tank and ok I have to drive a 30 mile round trip to fill but it is all down to how much shooting you do. I have just filled my tank after two years, cost me £5. I shoot an air rifle almost daily but only enough shots to kill tree rats.  If you are a plinker then a pump might be worth a try just check the reliability of the model.

8 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I went for the electric chinese pump, it has been very good so far. Overall with adaptors and air driers it cost me around £200. Dive bottles come up cheaply on a regular basis - I have 2 x 3l x 300bar - you need to take your time filling them 10 minutes pump 15 minutes cool for the pump.  When filling I put the cylinders in a 600l metal tank I have in the garden for collecting rainwater. I prefer the 3l as easy to chuck in a rucksack and tote round if you are likely to get a lot of shots, when ratting for example.

That’s got me thinking of a small pony bottle to top up the ultra when out if needed, then fill the rifles of the compressor at home.  

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Hi guys I’m thinking of getting a diving tank to fill my growing habit of PCP guns.  What sort of size do people recommend or is a compressor more worth while?

The size really depends on how you want to use a bottle .

If you want it in the field  being carried in a ruck sack .look at a 1 ltr carbon fibe one .

A car boot bottle (that basically lives in the boot for refills then a 3 ltr steel will be fine .

And if you only want an at home tank to last for ages then a 7 ltr or bigger would be a good idea .especially if you want to use the large one to fill a smaller field tank .

The 2 tank option. You have to remember though that transferring air from one vessel to another will always be less efficient  than a direct fill to gun from pump .

I have a steel 3 ltr .it's too heavy to carry about .fine for the back of the car .much bigger  and they can be too heavy and start to roll about .it's also a huge safety  risk in a crash .

I'm thinking of replacing my steel with a carbon fibre 1 ltr and pumping that up and carrying when it's needed .

33 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

The kids shot 750 ish pellets at the weekend so a fair amount and I’m very happy they are both engaged.  £200 for a compressor over the £150-200 for a tank seems sensible.   

Nearest place is 20mins away for refills but if the NRSA shop fills tanks at Bisley that about 500m from the office. 

That's a few years worth for me 😅😅

Those that shoot a lot seem to have gone down the compressor route, worth doing a search on the Agf, there will be loads of stuff come up.

Hello, pump, cylinder  compressor, do Bisley fill cylinders ? 750 shots ? That's a lot of filling by pump ? Only problem with cylinders is you loose air after filling, there are some decent chinese compressors but you need to check them out, and with only 40 shots per fill on the ultra your need something reliable, ask figgy on PW , cylinders need testing every 5 years, how many Ultra PCPs are you looking to shoot with ?

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, pump, cylinder  compressor, do Bisley fill cylinders ? 750 shots ? That's a lot of filling by pump ? Only problem with cylinders is you loose air after filling, there are some decent chinese compressors but you need to check them out, and with only 40 shots per fill on the ultra your need something reliable, ask figgy on PW , cylinders need testing every 5 years, how many Ultra PCPs are you looking to shoot with ?

Not all compressors will fill a small 300 bar  cylinder, I was looking at a compressor 12/240 volt with integral transformer off Alibaba but you might be better looking on Amazon for the warranty

27 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

As the 2 guns the kids shoot run at 6 fpe I get a few more shots per fill about 60. 

ive got 3 ultras and a scorpion. 

NSRA will fill a tank for £5 when there compressor system has been refreshed in the next few weeks. 

4 PCPs that's a lot of shots ? I was going to say a 12 ltr Cylinder and a small 3 ltr you can decant into but the cost ? Looking at all this maybe a compressor is more suitable, more so if your out in the fields a 12/240 volt , the small shoe box type is one I was looking at, from a company called Topa , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

30 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

4 PCPs that's a lot of shots ? I was going to say a 12 ltr Cylinder and a small 3 ltr you can decant into but the cost ? Looking at all this maybe a compressor is more suitable, more so if your out in the fields a 12/240 volt , the small shoe box type is one I was looking at, from a company called Topa , 

Oh I have a PCP air cylinder 300 bar set, these are 2 x 4 Ltrs inline making 8 Ltrs, they need a retest , I put them on here some time back, I was going to get them tested but was given a cylinder with a few years left to use 

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Oh I have a PCP air cylinder 300 bar set, these are 2 x 4 Ltrs inline making 8 Ltrs, they need a retest , I put them on here some time back, I was going to get them tested but was given a cylinder with a few years left to use 

Let me know if interested ?

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Please PM me some details I’m still trying to work out the best method but the pump needs replacing, try to convince work they need a compressor and a couple of big bottles for events. 

I have a 12 litre 300 bar bottle. It lasts ages, even with an fac air rifle running at 40ft lbs. costs £4:00 for a fill and 20 minutes drive each way so I’m ok with that. I have four pcp’s and the 12 litre bottle copes easily with keeping them in air for vermin shooting and a bit of plinking and target practice.