Metal table repair

mgsontour

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

That looks like it, but the crack is on the edge of the table top not the leg

Do-able with Lumiweld, then.

If you haven't used it before, then practice on some scrap aluminium.

However, if you don't have Lumiweld and a MAPP torch already, I would advise following Tightchoke's advice above, because you are looking at, at least, a £75 investment in Lumiweld, MAPP torch and paint, and, even then, SWIMBO will still be reminded of your deed every time she sees the repair (no matter how well you execute it)!

im sure that is not true aliminuim..........it is too brittle...if it was ali it wouldnt have snapped like that......i rekon it is a bottom of the pot alloy....a mix of magnesium.ali/zinc.....

like a hard pot metal.....think using lumi weld or phaser rods wouldnt  weld anything that has magnesium in it......i tried welding  (MAPP with phaser rods)...something that had magnesium in it..............doooooooh..........disaster:w00t:

drill it it and plate it....

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im sure that is not true aliminuim..........it is too brittle...if it was ali it wouldnt have snapped like that......i rekon it is a bottom of the pot alloy....a mix of magnesium.ali/zinc.....

like a hard pot metal.....think using lumi weld or phaser rods wouldnt  weld anything that has magnesium in it......i tried welding  (MAPP with phaser rods)...something that had magnesium in it..............doooooooh..........disaster

I have successfully welded pot metal with Lumiweld, but you are right, it is tricky.

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Buy another table and some stepladders, learn the difference between the two and listen to your poor wife!  :rolleyes:

Have you seen the price of stepladders lately!!

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

like a hard pot metal.....think using lumi weld or phaser rods wouldnt  weld anything that has magnesium in it......i tried welding  (MAPP with phaser rods)...something that had magnesium in it..............doooooooh..........disaster:w00t:

Think I might just keep it for holding coffee and wine cos I'm still getting over how much it cost some 4 years ago ( £1k give or take but it did come with 2 big chairs and comfy cushions ) this year she got 40 mixed daffodil bulbs for her birthday because the price of steel carts have gone stupid 'and I need them'