Anxiety and a good result from West Mercia

My job is always pretty stressful but during COVID it’s really gone up several degrees of stress, which has left me struggling to switch off or sleep and I have developed anxiety which has become a bit overwhelming. Reluctant to go to the GP for fear of impact on my tickets I’ve let it go on until this weekend when I was at a family barbecue and just couldn’t cope with the anxiety and had my wife take me home. Contacted the GP today and I’ve been put on anti anxiety meds, which are also anti depressants. Realising this will get to my FEO and I need to get ahead of it I contacted him and to my very happy surprise he has confirmed I did the right thing seeking help and that by notifying him straight away he’s happy there’s no reason to limit or remove my access to my guns.

I know there’s probably people with different stories but if you are struggling with mental health and not getting help because of ticket worries you might be pleasantly surprised by the reaction of your FEO. I was certainly expecting to at least have to rehome my guns for a while but looks like I’ll be able to carry on shooting while I sort myself out.

thanks West Mercia

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time but you have definitely done the right thing and with a decent FEO you now don't have the stress of worrying about your tickets. What better way to de-stress than spending time out in the country? well done West Mercia and i hope you troubles pass soon. 

4 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

My job is always pretty stressful but during COVID it’s really gone up several degrees of stress, which has left me struggling to switch off or sleep and I have developed anxiety which has become a bit overwhelming. Reluctant to go to the GP for fear of impact on my tickets I’ve let it go on until this weekend when I was at a family barbecue and just couldn’t cope with the anxiety and had my wife take me home. Contacted the GP today and I’ve been put on anti anxiety meds, which are also anti depressants. Realising this will get to my FEO and I need to get ahead of it I contacted him and to my very happy surprise he has confirmed I did the right thing seeking help and that by notifying him straight away he’s happy there’s no reason to limit or remove my access to my guns.

I know there’s probably people with different stories but if you are struggling with mental health and not getting help because of ticket worries you might be pleasantly surprised by the reaction of your FEO. I was certainly expecting to at least have to rehome my guns for a while but looks like I’ll be able to carry on shooting while I sort myself out.

thanks West Mercia

I hope you feel better soon mate 👍🏻

Its good to hear there is understanding FEOs out there.

You're doing the best thing now by tackling the issue head on. Theres still too many men these days refuse to seek help for anxiety as they fear being stigmatised.

Just remember if you need there's a big forum full of people here who won't mind reading a rant or 2 if you need to let of some steam or just need to talk

If it is the same West Mercia FEO I had a chat with a couple of years ago, he is a very pleasant, sensible level headed chap - and I suspect very good at his job.  He had the ability to chat to people (well me anyway) in a friendly way, put people at ease and quickly establish a rapport.

Good for you. I got to the stage with anxiety attacks that I simply ceased to function, so had no choice but to seek help, so I have a fair idea of what you went through. 
I never declared it for years on the advice of BASC, ( this was back in the mid ‘90’s ) and each renewal I would call them for reassurance. Then when it was mooted medical records would be checked as a matter of course, I contacted BASC to be told that I had made a false declaration ( by not declaring it ) in my renewal forms! 
Anyhow, I phoned my FEO ( which is what I should have done in the first place ) and explained that I may be in deep doodah, and he sorted it. I’ve had no reoccurrence since. 
Glad you’re sorted.