Hull special pigeon 12b

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve only once bought ( only time I’ve seen them! ) 6.5’s, and from my local agri’ merchant, many moons ago, as that was all they had in ‘pigeon’ flavour, and I can’t recall what make they were. 
I do recall however, being very impressed with them through a fixed 3/4 choked old Browning 2000 I had at the time. 

I fancy one could be forgiven for thinking that it is company policy throughout the UK cartridge industry to produce what makes them the most profit at the expense of the most effective load for any given purpose. Their marketing strategies and their sales forces are/do a superb job and effectively target the perceived needs/wishes of many shooters who have failed to realise just exactly who it was that put the idea into their heads.

7 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve only once bought ( only time I’ve seen them! ) 6.5’s, and from my local agri’ merchant, many moons ago, as that was all they had in ‘pigeon’ flavour, and I can’t recall what make they were. 
I do recall however, being very impressed with them through a fixed 3/4 choked old Browning 2000 I had at the time. 

I suspect, Eley Pigeon HB, 32g in an almost true no 6.5, I still have half a slab and agree they are a good load to 45 yards, pattern density of 1oz of no7 but almost hitting power of nearly a no6 ..... don't understand why Eley stopped making then as basically the ideal pigeon cartridge.

Guest cookoff013

You understand that manufacturers are tied down to purchase agreements and orders for components? Eley or maxam are one of the sole manufacturers that make everything in house. Cartridges are seasonal and purchase of product fluctuates.

Shame no one makes a white cartridge.

Sadly the cartel (all cartridge manufacturers price fix shells)

On 17/09/2021 at 19:02, Stonepark said:

I suspect, Eley Pigeon HB, 32g in an almost true no 6.5, I still have half a slab and agree they are a good load to 45 yards, pattern density of 1oz of no7 but almost hitting power of nearly a no6 ..... don't understand why Eley stopped making then as basically the ideal pigeon cartridge.

Fantastic cartridge ! I used a lot of these. I bought at least two lots at 3000 a time back in the day.  Gutted when Eley stopped making them. My theory is they came in a 65mm case which didn't suit all semi auto users many of whom wanted a 70mm case, so they stopped making them.

DSC_0003.JPG

26 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Fantastic cartridge ! I used a lot of these. I bought at least two lots at 3000 a time back in the day.  Gutted when Eley stopped making them. My theory is they came in a 65mm case which didn't suit all semi auto users many of whom wanted a 70mm case, so they stopped making them.

DSC_0003.JPG

the ones you gave me.........i used in my Beretta A303............worked a treat...think they would have been a bit too much in my sxs:good: