Insurance

steve_b_wales

Looking online at different pet insurance companies, and they all ask is the dog a pedigree, crossbreed or mixed. The parents of our Cockapoo are both Cockapoo's, which of course are from two different breeds, so, according to some of the companies, she's a pedigree, which I don't agree.

What's your view on this?

Edited by steve_b_wales

I would expect that it is a mongrel as neither of its parents were pedigree dogs. I would understand a cross breed would be the offspring of two pedigree dogs of different breeds; whilst a pedigree dog would be a purebred animal of recorded ancestry. 

However what the insurers probably want to understand is what is the likelihood of inherited genetic disorders or mutations from inbreeding. The answer to that I do not know. 

Edited by WalkedUp

9 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I would expect that it is mongrel as neither of its parents were pedigree dogs. I would understand a cross breed would be the offspring of two pedigree dogs; whilst a pedigree would be purebred of recorded ancestry. 

However what the insurers probably want to understand is what is the likelihood of inherited genetic disorders or mutations from inbreeding. The answer to that I do not know. 

In general mongrels have better health records than pure bred so can effect premium. I would just go on the insurance comparison sites and input your criteria for a deal. Go for lifetime cover though and decide on your level of excess.

Good luck

32 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I would expect that it is a mongrel as neither of its parents were pedigree dogs. I would understand a cross breed would be the offspring of two pedigree dogs of different breeds; whilst a pedigree dog would be a purebred animal of recorded ancestry. 

Does anyone know of any genetic disorders etc that are created by mating a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle?

On 09/09/2021 at 10:45, steve_b_wales said:

Now sorted. Via Go Compare, we decided on More Than insurance. 

We also went to Pets at Home to buy a dog crate etc etc and because I signed up to their VIP club, I had 10% as a member and also another 10% as our dog is a puppy.

The Harrington’s puppy food P@H sell is both good quality and good value for money. Took my last pup off a premium food as he was scratching a lot. Put him on that and he never looked back.

36 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

The Harrington’s puppy food P@H sell is both good quality and good value for money. Took my last pup off a premium food as he was scratching a lot. Put him on that and he never looked back.

Ours is having John Burns Chicken & Rice, as this was the food that she was weaned off. She seems to enjoy it. My last dog which was a Jack Russell was fed 95% on Sardines, and our vet commented that it was very good for her. 

On 08/09/2021 at 08:17, steve_b_wales said:

Does anyone know of any genetic disorders etc that are created by mating a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle?

PRA Cord1 is one they can both carry I think and Von Willebrand’s disease but not sure if there’s a test for the latter for cockers 🤔

Edited by bigbird