Thimbleby Clay Ground.

TIGHTCHOKE

At the Suggestion of Goo1 we travelled up to Thimbleby Shooting Ground yesterday to shoot a few practice clays.

https://www.thimblebyshoot.com/

Wow, they have spent some money on this place, it is lovely. Some very interesting angles and good use of the natural topography makes for some testing targets.

And at 30p a clay for non members like us, it was very fairly priced too.

If we lived closer we may well have joined.

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

At the Suggestion of Goo1 we travelled up to Thimbleby Shooting Ground yesterday to shoot a few practice clays.

https://www.thimblebyshoot.com/

Wow, they have spent some money on this place, it is lovely. Some very interesting angles and good use of the natural topography makes for some testing targets.

And at 30p a clay for non members like us, it was very fairly priced too.

If we lived closer we may well have joined.

Glad you enjoyed it 

Gordon 

I Echo tightchokes comments.

it’s a shade over an hour for us close to an hour and a half in traffic  ( Coniston is 25 mins and we are members ) 

thimbleby has been shot 4 or 5 time by myself and my shooting pal - alway come away wishing it was a bit closer so it could be utilised more regularly on a Sunday morning  !  Always a close run on the scoreboard even having to resort to the odd mind games on the tricky stands down the bottom!

Always have a excellent mix of close easy / hard target and some of the ones off the platform on the bank top we both had 10 shells at and still not managed to identify a sweet kill spot ! Next time I will drop some tight choke  in ( for those ! ) never seen the need for choke messing apart from these !

we plan to sort a simulated game day to mark our  respective 1/2 centuries but Covid got in the way. we do plan to do the local Churchill when I re-arrange the Morgage! 

I have some ShotKam footage of our last outing at thimbleby if anyone would like a few stands popping up but thanks tightchoke for reminding me to get another thimbleby session booked !

atb Agriv8

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Agriv8 please put up some video footage, if it includes the suicidal rabbit and that right to left crosser, so much the better.  :good:

Not sure I can do I’m either of them as not sure I hit em ! 

I Remember watching the rabbit over bank edge when the group in front had a go - thought that’s a doodle three shots at it later I was “cussing like an Irish navi” 

will fire the pc up and see if I can find post up some footage! 

Atb Agriv8

So footage does not lie a duck on the two don't recall my shooting buddy faired much better

rabbit over the bank top and high right to left rolling crosser that I had to put my specs on for 

PS please not ShotKam footage is at 2/3 speed ( and zoomed in ) so is even worse in the flesh ( So that's  my excuse )

Thimbleby Duck 1

Thimbleby Duck 2

did you get em tight choke - will post up some others I did hit ( when I find some ) 🤬

4 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Not sure I can do I’m either of them as not sure I hit em ! 

I Remember watching the rabbit over bank edge when the group in front had a go - thought that’s a doodle three shots at it later I was “cussing like an Irish navi” 

will fire the pc up and see if I can find post up some footage! 

Atb Agriv8

That’s a pain 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes the crosser needed 9 foot of lead and the rabbit 4 foot.  :good:

I doff my cap’ in your direction ‘Sir’ Tightchoke - a hard target are the ones that remind us that there is always learning to be done  round this shooting lark

you have enlightened us with your lead ‘Picture’ what were you using cartridge and choke wise ! Give us the lowdown !  I ussally rely on 8s super lights 24g or 28g sporting 100. Anything kicky (super fasts  ) give me brain  ache !

still a bloody good shooting ground though if and only IF we had to find one negative is that the pies ( no longer sold in the posh cafe - especially the game pies) that were available in the portacabin we’re the icing on top of the cake with a brew after an hour or two shooting!

maybe the s ground for a future PW meet and shoot !

ATB Agriv8

On 08/09/2021 at 19:18, Agriv8 said:

I doff my cap’ in your direction ‘Sir’ Tightchoke - a hard target are the ones that remind us that there is always learning to be done  round this shooting lark

you have enlightened us with your lead ‘Picture’ what were you using cartridge and choke wise ! Give us the lowdown !  I ussally rely on 8s super lights 24g or 28g sporting 100. Anything kicky (super fasts  ) give me brain  ache !

still a bloody good shooting ground though if and only IF we had to find one negative is that the pies ( no longer sold in the posh cafe - especially the game pies) that were available in the portacabin we’re the icing on top of the cake with a brew after an hour or two shooting!

maybe the s ground for a future PW meet and shoot !

ATB Agriv8

I use 3/4 and full and 28g 7 1/2s.  :cool1:

The only negative for us was the £9 breakfast!:w00t:

It would be lovely to hold a PW Charity Shoot there one day.  :good:

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I use 3/4 and full and 28g 7 1/2s.  :cool1:

The only negative for us was the £9 breakfast!:w00t:

It would be lovely to hold a PW Charity Shoot there one day.  :good:

I have been told all members get a free breakfast once a month as part of membership deal. 

We know how to treat shooters in Yorkshire 😁😁😁👍

2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

I have been told all members get a free breakfast once a month as part of membership deal. 

We know how to treat shooters in Yorkshire 😁😁😁👍

I am going to have to have a word with Peter at coniston regarding that snippet of info.

Trinity its a damn fine spot and as Tight choke points out is not overly priced for us that can’t make it regularly we have also been blessed with good weather the last time watching collections of dragon flies round the ponds.

re the charity shoot I am sure they would be more than willing. The gun room looked mighty fine but I avoid as I am easily tempted !

re the chokes info - thanks I usually run 3/8 and 5/8 (teaque) so definitely need another visit and will take something a little tighter and have another play !

any other stands you want posting up tight choke ? ( though guess they may have changed a few since we went July ! 

finally was the £9 breakfast worth the asking price? 

atb Agriv8

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

any other stands you want posting up tight choke ? ( though guess they may have changed a few since we went July ! 

finally was the £9 breakfast worth the asking price? 

By all means post up some more.

I couldn't afford a £9 breakfast, I was buying all of Goo1's cartridges!

17 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

I

17 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

I am going to have to have a word with Peter at coniston regarding that snippet of 

Never been to coniston . It is slightly nearer to me thimbleby but an out right pain of a journey along the Aire Valley. 

Generally I am not a big fan of ground memberships as I like to travel around a bit. Often when I do the sums I am better off staying as a non member.

My two favourite grounds do not run membership schemes and it's no detrement. I think thimbleby do try to make their membership package one of the better ones that are around.