An interesting topic on last nights news?

old man

Just to add to the problems of being blind, negotiating overgrown hedges and cars parked on the footpath the latest torment is officially sponsored electric scooters?

Some makers are thoughtfully fitting noisemakers such as revving motor cycle sounds? Obviously designed so that they can be switched off at will?

Frightening and insane is that IMHO this lunacy is supported by a university, a lord mayor and councillors as it will hopefully create jobs and help the environment?

Not quite the same but last week I was undertaken in slow traffic by an illegal one that jumped two sets of red lights to mount the pavement to clear off out of sight?

An illustration of modern caring society, maybe? ? ?

Tuesday night coming home from the rifle club, so about 10pm. On a poorly lit stretch of road with verges on both sides a young girl (mid teens?) riding an electric scooter on the road with no lights and she was flying along. I came up behind her and she pulled in to the left slightly to let me go past

Its not that uncommon these days  

Just now, old man said:

3 times as fast.

No doubt, and same regard for the law it seems. I still feel if your over 16 and use the road then a licence and insurance are need regardless of what it is, cycle,bike etc etc. A good few friends in London were hit by cyclists and had bad injuries. 

If I used an airgun with the same disregard I'd be arrested. Why is it different when it comes to transport?

20 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

No doubt, and same regard for the law it seems. I still feel if your over 16 and use the road then a licence and insurance are need regardless of what it is, cycle,bike etc etc. A good few friends in London were hit by cyclists and had bad injuries. 

If I used an airgun with the same disregard I'd be arrested. Why is it different when it comes to transport?

Good post. Agree 100%.

20 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It's beyond me why it's not mandatory?

My OH was rammed on the leg by some old lady on an electric shopping buggy inside a shopping centre while waiting for one of the lifts. The buggies are loaned by a charity called Shopmobility to anyone that books them but there appears to be no test of competence. These are big four wheel buggies with a lot of weight behind them  

Nottingham is about to double its Wind scooter numbers to 1000, there are already piles of them lying around on pavements and street corners, the city area comprises around 300,000 people in total, discounting the elderly and very young children, its around 1 scooter for every 200 people.

That's not counting the privately owned (illegal) ones that can't be used on the public highway, of which there are 1000s more.

Very few users appear to believe that any traffic laws or signals apply to them, they fly at sometimes 40+ mph at night , with no lights , dark clothing , masked, often approaching at Speed on the wrong side of the road.

I'm surprised there isn't more accidents , and the police turn a blind eye , as frankly, its un police able.

It's a serious problem that no one seems willing to address. 

On 11/09/2021 at 15:12, 12gauge82 said:

Come on! If we regulated anything else in this country I fear I might die of boredom and red tape. We're over regulated as it is. 

I was thinking something on these lines today, de regulation.

On the A61 near our local football stadium the road has had all chippings chucked on it sooner than resurfacing properly. This work has been done over a week ago and there are no lines in the middle of the road or anywhere.  The traffic is really slow and everyone seems to be more wary = safer.

If we did away with all the lines on roads would we be all more cautious = safer?

Just a thought.

34 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

On the A61 near our local football stadium the road has had all chippings chucked on it sooner than resurfacing properly. This work has been done over a week ago and there are no lines in the middle of the road or anywhere.  The traffic is really slow and everyone seems to be more wary = safer.

If we did away with all the lines on roads would we be all more cautious = safer?

Just a thought.

No. All those driving slowly are the ones who have had broken windscreens from loose chippings in the past after the road has been tar and feathered. 
Ask me how I know! Three bloody times!

41 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

On many streets that is the objective and design ethos. However, where we want to create an efficient, quick connection on proper roads the opposite is true. You are making each person’s job easier by drawing the lanes and giving information. 

50 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just a thought.

There are many proven cases of this line of thinking. Traffic lights that have malfunctioned resulting in better, faster flowing roads with less accidents. 

Community that will to a certain extent police themselves rather than laws that tell people how one should behave,all that leads to in many cases is smug people who act like idiots who think it's fine as there's no specific law against there rude or inappropriate behaviour. 

The bottom line, some laws are necessary, but we have way too many as is. 

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just a thought.

Thats the way to go. Single lane for traffic with passing places. Wide cycle lanes with priority. Priority pedestrian crossings. Roads would be much slower, safer and healthier. Drivers would avoid city centres.