Swordfish Easy Recipe Please

marsh man

I very rarely visit this section as we are used to fairly plain cooking and neither of us drink , well on Sunday we popped in Waitrose to see what was going cheap and on the fish counter I bought two nice Skate wings and the chap behind the counter had just reduced a nice thick slice of Swordfish , as I have never tried it I thought I would treat myself and buy it , now this is where you clever guys and gals come to my aid , In very easy terms , what is a good way to cook , grill or fry it , it is about an inch thick and roughly seven inches across .   THANKS     MM

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I very rarely visit this section as we are used to fairly plain cooking and neither of us drink , well on Sunday we popped in Waitrose to see what was going cheap and on the fish counter I bought two nice Skate wings and the chap behind the counter had just reduced a nice thick slice of Swordfish , as I have never tried it I thought I would treat myself and buy it , now this is where you clever guys and gals come to my aid , In very easy terms , what is a good way to cook , grill or fry it , it is about an inch thick and roughly seven inches across .   THANKS     MM

Nigella has a Swordfish recipe on her Instagram page. 👍

I'd fry it or if you have a bbq  and know what your doing then sear it on that. 

Some finely chopped chilli, spring onion and ginger. Get those going in the pan first or if the bbq option then marinade for a couple of hours with some soy sauce or whatever.  Season. Careful with the salt. It doesn't usually need any. 

Chop a lime in half, halfway thru cooking squeeze it on. 

Don't over cook it.  Serve with salad or whatever you like really. Ive been known to just have a nice bit of fish cooked like that on its own. 

If one was tempted then you could have with roasted veg Mediterranean style. 

Many THANKS for all the sound advice , the one that stick out is not to over cook it so we will grill it both sides and see how we get on :good:.

Ditchy mentioned about getting a piece of Cod , well a couple of weeks ago we had fish and chips on a Friday night which is a rare occasion , I had a piece of Skate for my wife and I had a medium Cod with one lot of chips between the two of us , total cost , nearly £16.00 , 

How would that compare with around your way ?

On 10/09/2021 at 20:28, JTaylor91 said:

So how was it?

Well I am glad we didn't pay the full price of over £13 , we cut it half and done it in a pan with a drop of Olive Oil , I kept turning my half over till both sides looked done and my wife left hers in a bit longer as she likes her fish well done , mine wasn't that bad but the middle could have been cooked a bit more , my wife's bit all right in the middle but the outside was a bit on the hard side , to be honest I think it was down to the cooking rather than the quality of the fish , we had a couple of Skate wings a few days earlier and it was lovely , knock spots off the Swordfish , still it's nice to try something different with fish , the last one off we had was a piece of Hake , it looked better than it tasted , looked like a Cod fillet but that was as near to a piece of Cod as it will get , before the pandemic we had the Maritime Festival each September and the crew from the Hembsy lifeboat done Herring on a hot grill with the roes , these had a squirt of Lemon on them and they melted in your mouth , far different than the odd time we do them when they leave your house smelling of the Silver Darlings long after they had been devoured.  :lol:

On 10/09/2021 at 20:28, JTaylor91 said:

So how was it?

22 hours ago, marsh man said:

Well I am glad we didn't pay the full price of over £13 , we cut it half and done it in a pan with a drop of Olive Oil , I kept turning my half over till both sides looked done and my wife left hers in a bit longer as she likes her fish well done , mine wasn't that bad but the middle could have been cooked a bit more , my wife's bit all right in the middle but the outside was a bit on the hard side , to be honest I think it was down to the cooking rather than the quality of the fish , we had a couple of Skate wings a few days earlier and it was lovely , knock spots off the Swordfish , still it's nice to try something different with fish , the last one off we had was a piece of Hake , it looked better than it tasted , looked like a Cod fillet but that was as near to a piece of Cod as it will get , before the pandemic we had the Maritime Festival each September and the crew from the Hembsy lifeboat done Herring on a hot grill with the roes , these had a squirt of Lemon on them and they melted in your mouth , far different than the odd time we do them when they leave your house smelling of the Silver Darlings long after they had been devoured.  

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

The sear looks good, shame it didn’t live up to expectations. I spent a few years as a fishmonger and we would basically give skate wings away and it’s one fish I’ve never tried. Next time I’m at the fishmonger I will grab one. My go to if I fancy some fish past the usual cod, salmon etc is always gurnard.

16 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

The sear looks good, shame it didn’t live up to expectations. I spent a few years as a fishmonger and we would basically give skate wings away and it’s one fish I’ve never tried. Next time I’m at the fishmonger I will grab one. My go to if I fancy some fish past the usual cod, salmon etc is always gurnard.

Around here Skate is the dearest fish in the fish shop and it take some beating if it is fresh , another fish we don't see often now is the Dab , Place on the Bone is one of my favorites and the humble Whiting although I have never seen them on the menu in any local fish shop .

When I was a boy I used to go down the fish wharth on a Saturday morning in the Winter to get a bag of Herring when the Scots drifters would come in to unload the catch , I would sit above the fish hold while the two crew members would be filling up the fish baskets to unload them on the quay , now and again I would spot a Mackreal and one of the chaps would chuck that up to go with my Herring , one fish I also got now and again was what we called a guard  fish , they were about two feet long with a long pointed head and about three inches round , one of my highlights was after they had put the catch ashore they would steam back up the river with me on board to moor for the weekend before they went back out to sea on the Monday , I got to know one or two of the crews and as luck would have it my mum worked at the sweet rock factory and many a time a bag of sticks of rock were exchanged for a good fry of fish , happy days long gone .

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Around here Skate is the dearest fish in the fish shop and it take some beating if it is fresh , another fish we don't see often now is the Dab , Place on the Bone is one of my favorites and the humble Whiting although I have never seen them on the menu in any local fish shop .

When I was a boy I used to go down the fish wharth on a Saturday morning in the Winter to get a bag of Herring when the Scots drifters would come in to unload the catch , I would sit above the fish hold while the two crew members would be filling up the fish baskets to unload them on the quay , now and again I would spot a Mackreal and one of the chaps would chuck that up to go with my Herring , one fish I also got now and again was what we called a guard  fish , they were about two feet long with a long pointed head and about three inches round , one of my highlights was after they had put the catch ashore they would steam back up the river with me on board to moor for the weekend before they went back out to sea on the Monday , I got to know one or two of the crews and as luck would have it my mum worked at the sweet rock factory and many a time a bag of sticks of rock were exchanged for a good fry of fish , happy days long gone .

Your `Guard fish`, would that be a Garfish? Got a light green almost florescent backbone. Good eating those. Haven`t caught one for ages, but is probably because I don`t go fishing anymore.:no: My favourites too are whiting and dabs. Used to catch dabs and Dover soles in a small home made beam trawl that I used to tow behind my boat. Those were the days, when there were fish abundant around our shores.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

IMG_2190.JPG.9e025f10aca8eb82099a7b26045df201.JPGWould this be your `Guard fish` John ?

Garfish caught by my late brother spinning from his sailing boat 6 years ago. 

OB

They would be the ones Chris , I dare say we called them guard fish because of the long pointed spike on it's head , if I had 2 / 3 I would put my bit of string through the gills along with the the other fish , the Scots fishermen would never eat the Mackerel as they were superstitious , why I don't know , maybe the Green bone inside them .

On a Sunday the the quayside where the Herring boats unloaded the catch was empty as the boats would steam up the river to tie up for the weekend , no doubt for the crew to get a pint , this was when the locals would use their hoop nets , these were baited with fish guts and it didn't take long for them to get a good fry of fish , these were mainly flat fish with the odd Whiting ect , now I doubt you would get the bait touched in the nets as the only boats that moor their now are the oil supply boats and the ones that service the wind turbines , I think the last Scots drifters came in the seventies .