Laws

Jaker1991

Hi 

really need some advice!

I have a problem with foxes coming in my garden and leaving deposits on my 3 year olds garden toys and it’s getting too much for us.

is it against the law for me to trap the fox and shoot it point blank with a 22. Air rifle with 12lb? 

ive tried researching but not getting straight answers 

We are a young family and it’s our first home and haven’t got the funds to hire someone to come and cull them for us 

thank you in advance! 

Hello mate,

if you look on page 123 here...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

not even FAC (greater than 12lb) airguns are considered suitable for foxes. Maybe ask in the pest control section https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/48-other-pest-control/ if anyone is local to you who could deal with the critters?

Yes, a bit of information of your whereabouts might ellicit some help froma local PW member with an open ticket.   How much rent and rates do you pay|?  Local Authority Vermin ???  It is a health risk to your child as you say.

I would believe everyone on here is going to be VERY careful how they deal with you..... new member, unknown background etc etc.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Illegal to stab anything to death I believe  .

then why is it so popular ?...............its either that or pulling it outa the cage and putting your knee on its neck..........i suppose that is not legal as well ?

you could gas it to death...with exhaust fumes .....but yet again that is not very environmentally friendy....(unless you are using E10)

Edited by ditchman

Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996

Offences

If, save as permitted by this Act, any person mutilates, kicks, beats, nails or otherwise impales, stabs, burns, stones, crushes, drowns, drags or asphyxiates any wild mammal with intent to inflict unnecessary suffering he shall be guilty of an offence.

Exceptions from offence under the Act.

A person shall not be guilty of an offence under this Act by reason of—

(a)the attempted killing of any such wild mammal as an act of mercy if he shows that the mammal had been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of its recovering;

(b)the killing in a reasonably swift and humane manner of any such wild mammal if he shows that the wild mammal had been injured or taken in the course of either lawful shooting, hunting, coursing or lawful pest control activity;

(c)doing anything which is authorised by or under any enactment;

(d)any act made unlawful by section 1 if the act was done by means of any snare, trap, dog, or bird lawfully used for the purpose of killing or taking any wild mammal; or

(e)the lawful use of any poisonous or noxious substance on any wild mammal.

4 hours ago, leakyseals said:

Hello mate,

if you look on page 123 here...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

not even FAC (greater than 12lb) airguns are considered suitable for foxes. Maybe ask in the pest control section https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/48-other-pest-control/ if anyone is local to you who could deal with the critters?

Here is the above section:
'Fox 13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable for the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre.

.22 Rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around farm buildings or paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to achieve a humane kill. Combination shotgun/rifles should have the rifled barrel in a similar calibre. Expanding ammunition should be authorised for shooting foxes.

Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds, but consideration should be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.9 on allowing the applicant flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.

In short, as others have said, no, you can't and you shouldn't be trying to. Whilst it is obviously allowed to kill foxes as @WalkedUp (and I do have concerns with the 1996 Countryside Act's wording on this!) points out, animals are protected from inhumane treatment even if there is legal intention to kill. All this information is freely and easily available. Can I ask where you were looking? Some forums are better than others, but as you're looking for a legal answer it's best to look at the law, not what the nation's hunting keyboard warriors are saying!

Realistically you have two options: get someone in to get rid of them, or as @Chaz25rather sensibly, just secure the perimeter. You're sure it's foxes, not cats, right? Where are you in the country?

I have seen a rabbit scale an 8ft fence, there was a spaniel inches from its back end. And I have seen a fox waking along the top of an 8ft wall in London. Height alone is not going to keep this out, you need at least one, possibly two moats as well as the new wall if you are at all serious about keeping Charlie at bay. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I have seen a rabbit scale an 8ft fence, there was a spaniel inches from its back end. And I have seen a fox waking along the top of an 8ft wall in London. Height alone is not going to keep this out, you need at least one, possibly two moats as well as the new wall if you are at all serious about keeping Charlie at bay. 

Charlie? Jesus this is going a bit Nam, I best get my tiger stripe on and load up the CAR15 😁