Found this in a second hand bookshop

Townie

Nice one

I was given a sack full of early shooting times [about 1940 onwards] by a farmer over whos land i scared pigeon on, in the early 70's. My sister threw them out later when i was away in Australia, would love to have a look at them now,...there was a writer for the ST called Colin Willock who wrote under the name of Town Gun are you related

Edited by islandgun

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Nice one

I was given a sack full of early shooting times [about 1940 onwards] by a farmer over whos land i scared pigeon on, in the early 70's. My sister threw them out later when i was away in Australia, would love to have a look at them now,...there was a writer for the ST called Colin Willock who wrote under the name of Town Gun are you related

I took the ST from about 1968 - 1980 and liked Colin Willock's stuff a great deal. Not related, but I did have him in mind when choosing the name!

42 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I don't believe my luck. Many thanks indeed for posting. As reflected in my post, I liked the idea of that and had a shufti. Just got one from the big A for £0.71 in good condition.

Flaming Nora. Mine cost a bit more than that, but I suppose I had the pleasure of supporting a small business.

46 minutes ago, Townie said:

Also got this, which is less fun, but still good.E3CF4210-F5D0-4B59-B4B3-9E0E1832C024.jpeg.517e8ea5f3b148e58e897729431446f0.jpegBCE98F66-0A4A-4EB5-A817-D9164C454990.jpeg.505ff03710d541d14edfd07a7c350db3.jpeg

What is it about middle ranking army officers and books on shooting? Padding out their pension perhaps. 

44 minutes ago, London Best said:

By 1976 I had accumulated a pile of ‘Shooting Times’ 15 years high. After trying in vain to sell them cheaply they all went in the bin. I have not really bothered with the magazine much since. When I have read a hand me down copy I have invariably been disappointed.

Back along I always thought of ST as a text book in weekly installments - not for many years now I fear.

I ordered my first Shooting Times when I left school in 1962 and the cost then was 1s x 6d , the front cover was in Black and White and I would read every letter and word that was printed , W A G B I had half a page and you could catch up with club news as a lot of clubs had only just been formed , I would scan the back page vacancies section to see if their were any jobs going for young  trainee keepers , money was tight so I ended up trying to lay bricks until I finally got the hang of it and no keepering job ever came my way .

Our first Pigeon hide nets were ordered from the S T and were the old sacking type that weighed a ton and twice that when they got wet , they were very happy days and the S Ts were part of it , I stopped buying it when John Humphries passed on and now if I am in TESCO's I have a quick look and it is light years away from how it used to be and at nearly £3 I certainly won't be buying it anymore . 

That looks like a right good read, Townie.

I, too, used to buy the Shooting Times but gave up my subscription in the late 1980s when it started to go downhill. It seems to have continued on that trajectory ever since, unfortunately.

I've got a lot of books on shooting, acquired over many, many years, and find myself wondering what will happen to them when I'm gone. I don't think any of my family will want them.

Does anyone feel that a separate sales section specifically for Field Sports Literature would be A Good Thing? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, aldivalloch said:

I, too, used to buy the Shooting Times but gave up my subscription in the late 1980s when it started to go downhill. It seems to have continued on that trajectory ever since, unfortunately.

I've got a lot of books on shooting, acquired over many, many years, and find myself wondering what will happen to them when I'm gone. I don't think any of my family will want them.

Does anyone feel that a separate sales section specifically for Field Sports Literature would be A Good Thing? Just a thought.

I always look out for shooting related books in second hand bookshops and they often have decent fishing sections too. So definitely A Good Thing.

19 hours ago, marsh man said:

I stopped buying it....now if I am in TESCO's I have a quick look and it is light years away from how it used to be and at nearly £3 I certainly won't be buying it anymore . 

A waste of £3 sad to say. I reluctantly think that you have good reason. Not what it was at all. And I wrote (and was paid) certainly two articles for them in the 1990s. One was a review of BRNO's 20 Bore/.223 Combination Gun and the other was how to make a beaters' "pheasant shifter". I forget what the other one was.

Edited by enfieldspares

4 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

A waste of £3 sad to say. I reluctantly think that you have good reason. Not what it was at all. And I wrote (and was paid) certainly two articles for them in the 1990s.

One thing that seem never ending is the amount of editors that keep cropping up , from young girls and boys that don't last five minutes to an assistant editor that take over when the previous one had moved on .

I well remember buying a cheapish side by side with no name on it only prof marks on the breech block , I wrote a letter to Gough Thomas is ask him what the prof marks meant as I was only a teenager , he wrote a lovely letter back and telling me it was a Belgium gun made for the trade so name was put on it , he also explained what the marks meant and what size cartridges I could use , it was typed out and he signed it , I kept that letter for ages and when I went in the R N it got left at home and when I came out my mind got muddled with the female race and the letter was never seen again :no:

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

A waste of £3 sad to say. I reluctantly think that you have good reason. Not what it was at all. And I wrote (and was paid) certainly two articles for them in the 1990s. One was a review of BRNO's 20 Bore/.223 Combination Gun and the other was how to make a beaters' "pheasant shifter". I forget what the other one was.

I think I re

m reading the article 😊

you should do it again for the PW craft section 👍

17 hours ago, aldivalloch said:

I totally agree regarding ST on a downward spiral. Used to enjoy the writing of Colin Willock, John Humphreys, Fred Taylor etc etc. 
Also accumulated loads of books and have no wish for them to be piled up and taken to the tip when I shuffle off this mortal coil, hence why am gradually starting to sell them on here to people who may enjoy them as I have done over the years. 

OB