Cleaning kits ?

DazAllison

I wouldn’t bother with a kit. Unless you buy best quality expensive set components are often poor quality. Buy a good quality set of hardwood and brass rods or look for an old second hand set. I still use my grandfathers that are over one hundred years old. Add

standard phosphor bronze brush

Payne Galway bronze brush

wool mop

feathers as mentioned

pipe cleaners

roll of cotton cleaning patches

soft cotton cloths

good quality oil

Agree with Dave and Smoker. However, having answered could I digress (slightly) for a minute. A little while before I was out of it for a bit I noticed a difference in Payne Galway brushes - they distorted - flat on one side - whereas they always stayed round but the diameter decreased with use - and weren't so compacted. Napier agreed and said it as to do with the availability of the phosphor bronze. Paused, and had to start again with a 20 bore as opposed to a 12. It seems that the Bisley Pgb20 by Bisley from initial use so far may well be back to normal - although for 20 bore I have no idea whether or not there was the same change as the 12. Is this just me or did anyone else notice?

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Agree with Dave and Smoker. However, having answered could I digress (slightly) for a minute. A little while before I was out of it for a bit I noticed a difference in Payne Galway brushes - they distorted - flat on one side - whereas they always stayed round but the diameter decreased with use - and weren't so compacted. Napier agreed and said it as to do with the availability of the phosphor bronze. Paused, and had to start again with a 20 bore as opposed to a 12. It seems that the Bisley Pgb20 by Bisley from initial use so far may well be back to normal - although for 20 bore I have no idea whether or not there was the same change as the 12. Is this just me or did anyone else notice?

Yep .. I've absolutely seen the same thing on I guess my last 3!

I always thought that it must have been me abusing them at some point!

7 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Instead of a feather there are sets of small brushes on that auction site. Excellent value from China. You get several different ones. You wont need the steel one but the brass and nylon ones are perfect for guns. Have a look.

I also have some small stiff artists brushes I bought cheap at some fair or other I could have added to my list.

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

For anyone who has VERY deep pockets, these are rather nice https://www.timhardy.com/Shotgun_Combination_Cleaning_Kit--product--54.html

For brushes going flat on one side - try one of these - made of copper water pipe.

IMG_2878.jpeg

Re the brush/pipe, I think I've seen this before. how does it work and how do you use it, please - surely you don't just simply store the brush in the pipe? For some reason, Dunks is ringing a bell.

Just now, wymberley said:

Re the brush/pipe, I think I've seen this before. how does it work and how do you use it, please - surely you don't just simply store the brush in the pipe? For some reason, Dunks is ringing a bell.

That is all I do; made them from copper water pipe offcuts - with a penny soldered in as an end cap.  Seems to do the job for me.  The brush shown is probably 20 years old, used weekly (but it is a top quality Payne Gallwey pattern).  When fully pushed in - the whole bristles are enclosed.

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That is all I do; made them from copper water pipe offcuts - with a penny soldered in as an end cap.  Seems to do the job for me.  The brush shown is probably 20 years old, used weekly (but it is a top quality Payne Gallwey pattern).  When fully pushed in - the whole bristles are enclosed.

:good:

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Buy loadsa rods.  
 Fit an implement to each rod.  
Hang/rack up the rods so the implements are not in contact with anything.  
No more flat brushes.   
With an added bonus that barrel cleaning is much faster as you do not have to keep changing implements.

I'd put the flat spots on the cheaper brushes - possibly now brass as opposed to the phosphor bronze - down to use/scrubbing when necessary and not laying in a plastic box with nothing on top of it to deform it. 

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'd put the flat spots on the cheaper brushes - possibly now brass as opposed to the phosphor bronze - down to use/scrubbing when necessary and not laying in a plastic box with nothing on top of it to deform it. 

I’m not convinced you’re right. Been hanging mine for thirty years and it seems to cure the problem. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but new unused brushes stored lying down have developed a flat.  I don’t possess any brass shotgun brushes.

On 10/09/2021 at 20:54, London Best said:

I’m not convinced you’re right. Been hanging mine for thirty years and it seems to cure the problem. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but new unused brushes stored lying down have developed a flat.  I don’t possess any brass shotgun brushes.

I wouldn't have a clue which is which - brass or PB. I had only had the problem when using open spiral wound for scrubbing when required. The PGs never suffered from distortion but started to do so at the same time as they appeared to have a looser compaction. Napier conceded that they did have a supply problem. I changed to spiral closed and all seemed well. I didn't do much for a while and now shoot 20 bore. The two PGs that I now have seem to be as per the originals and so far are holding up. I do tend to grab what I can when I can usually at that most favourable of prices and some lay unused for years without any deterioration.

Edited by wymberley

Watched a The Gun Shop thing on YouTube about gun cleaning.

Jonny said that muck behind the extractors raises them a tiny amount and over time contributes to guns becoming loose on the face.

I get the edge of a bit of kitchen roll or fabric behind them, but the tiny brushes mentioned earlier sound a good idea.

2 minutes ago, Townie said:

Watched a The Gun Shop thing on YouTube about gun cleaning.

Jonny said that muck behind the extractors raises them a tiny amount and over time contributes to guns becoming loose on the face.

I get the edge of a bit of kitchen roll or fabric behind them, but the tiny brushes mentioned earlier sound a good idea.

This is one of the most important little places, and should be cleaned every time the gun is used, but is often neglected.

On 10/09/2021 at 20:40, London Best said:

With an added bonus that barrel cleaning is much faster as you do not have to keep changing implements.

I have a huge old brass WW1(?) shell case and they stand up in that, but the little copper water pipe covers are cheap, easy and work well and also keep the oily brush away from other cleaner bits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 20:40, London Best said:

Buy loadsa rods.  
 Fit an implement to each rod.  
No more flat brushes.   

👍