It's been too long coming

Walker570

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, remember it well......errrrrr ???????????????????????????   now what was her name....nice legs I remember....????????  Hah yes. Virginia Wade

blimey.ginny wade eh...............you were still at work then.........in them days police marksmen were still using blackpowder front stuffers eh ?

Saw her on the news yesterday and thought she seemed like a nice down to earth young lady enjoying what she was doing and not getting stressed out about it.

I'm not a tennis fan at all but I liked her attitude so hope she does well.

Edit to say she has done well she's done very well and fingers cross for her in the final, just hope the media don't give her a hard time win or loose!

Edited by bluesj

59 minutes ago, ditchman said:

blimey.ginny wade eh...............you were still at work then.........in them days police marksmen were still using blackpowder front stuffers eh ?

You ain't far wrong. Our shooting equipment back then was hand me downs from the Military. I know the rifle used to pass or fail for sniper qualification was an old open sigh Lee Enfield and we had to be able to hit a 12 inch iron plate with the old Military ammo at 200yrds. More by luck than judgement as I had done almost all my rifle shooting previous with a realy old 22RF single shot with no rear sight.  I used to get thrown of those side shows where you shot for prizes because the sights on those rifle had always been tampered with but I had learned to check fall of shot and adjust.

Back to the subject......  Yes, I wish this young lady the very best. Her apponent also appears to be a similar sort of person and I think they are going to put on a good show.

1 hour ago, old man said:

A phenomenal achievement!

Seemingly done without the usual circus?

She's 18 years old - there's not been time for the usual circus!

She's also a bit of an odd story. She turned pro in 2018, but drifted along picking up experience in the ITF tournaments - two layers below the main draw WTA tournaments, where professionals go who aren't up to the main draw standards. Then Covid hit and she played no competitive tennis for a year. Even when the WTA kicked off again, it was months before ITF stuff started. In June 2021 she got a wildcard entry to WTA event in Nottingham and lost in the first round. So far, so unnecessary of hype. Then came Wimbledon - again on the wildcard because she didn't qualify - and started beating people with a lot of experience and some pedigree and it was only then that the media took interest in her. She still wasn't expected to do anything at the US - so much so that she'd booked flights for after qualifying, not the main draw. 

Then she started thrashing everyone who had the misfortune to share a court with her!

This is why the wildcard system is such a useful tool for domestic players of international tournaments; they get a taste of the big time that they might otherwise never get. And once in a while it kickstarts a player from obscurity into the limelight and changes the trajectory of a career.  

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Two seriously good young players in the US Open this year.  McEnroe said she didn't have the talent or words to that effect after Wimbledon. Bet he's eating his words now.

$2.3 million dollars is a pretty good start plus she is an ad mans dream come true.

I doubt anyone at Nike has sobered up yet. They must be beside themselves with glee at having her as a sponsored athlete.

Just watched her speaking to her Chinese fans in Mandarin!! Well that’s got her a few billion more supporters who will see her as theirs too. 

Let’s hope her people are up to the enormity of the task ahead. 

Ive just informed my son of my plans for his wedding, I just need to let her know now 😂